cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z370-G (wifi) no hdmi output

katmad
Level 7
Hello everyone and many thanks in advance for reading this and thinking whatever thought about my predicament...and if you respond, thanks A LOT!!!
I just built this pc (there is no OS yet) and it seems to start up but I can't tell what is happening because I can't see any screen output from the motherboard...(and how would i know if it was working properly, besides my video issue of course--i have a working monitor, a working hdmi cable, and the fresh build with everything connected (or so I thought) but no output so I can't see the BIOS or any info...
i thought the i7-8700k has a built-in graphic...).. I wish the z370 instructions would tell you what the normal first-time startup would look like and what to do. Since I don't know what is supposed to happen, I can't diagnose it, especially with nothing on the screen.
So... here is the build:
I have the following:
z370g-wifi
i7-8700k
noctua nh-u14s
corsair 2x8gb 3200 ddr led
samsung 960 evo m.2 nvme 256
crucial 256 ssd
fractal define c
portable dvd
logitech mx master
an apple imac keyboard (2007 model -- A1243 corded usb)
a benq monitor (that is receiving & displaying both hdmi and vga from my win 7 laptop)
tacens eco 650w silver

After I turn on the psu and hit the button on the case
i have
-the first onboard led light green
-the rog symbol cycling rgb and the ram is lit up, slowly going on and off
-the mouse is lit up
-the fans all run, the portable dvd is lit up
So everything seems ok (though I haven't been able to figure out what the ideal onboard LED display situation should be) but there is no hdmi signal being received by the monitor so I can't see any info or boot up...

please PLEASE help. Is the one (first) LED green and no others lit a bad thing or is it a normal A-OK behavior?
I thought the i7-8700k had an onboard graphics card... is there some default setting that is not outputting to hdmi?
Is the apple A1243 causing it to hang up? I don't have another keyboard ...
The z370g i bought from amazon and it only came with one bag of SATA cables (which i only noticed after assembly), so I am very worried that they sold me a dud... but i know i am also worried cos i am a complete noob...
THANKS!!!!
8 REPLIES 8

katmad
Level 7
Oh... I have tested all the relevant power supply terminals with a multimeter and all are good and within specifications... except pin 20 on the 24-pin is NC (there is no wire) from the power supply while the z370g spec says it should be -5V... From what I have seen on this webpagehttps://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158
that is normal...

Menthol
Level 14
With no OS it should boot directly to bios screen, the CPU does have on die GPU and it should work with HDMI
Not knowing your board is the a Q Code display? if so what code is displayed?, if no display do you have a motherboard speaker to use beep codes for troubleshooting?
Try with no keyboard connected and only your OS drive, if that doesn't help, remove heatsink and CPU, check socket for bent or misaligned pins, if socket is OK then carefully reinstall the CPU and heatsink making sure to cross tighten evenly and not to tight as that can cause poor contact between CPU and pins, test on box outside of case

katmad
Level 7
Thanks Menthol -- I have no motherboard speaker (how i wish i did!!) or q code display so I will try the rest in a few minutes. i have the os on a dvd...i don 't think i over tightened the cpu cooler (the instructions said to turn until it stops but not to overtighten...a bit subjective) but it is my first build.
If it still fails I will probably feel like crying, but assuming find kleenex -- what is the best way to remove the noctua thermal paste?

EDIT -- the wifi issue persists but I have a working mouse.
Happily reporting that i am just too inexperienced with wireless mice to realize that i was only charging it before, now that i put the dongle in and turned it on it works...

Hi, I am happily reporting that the mouse works, and happily admitting that i was too dumb to realize that i was merely charging the mouse, so when i realized this possibility and put the dongle in and turned the "newfangled" device on it worked immediately and perfectly... doesn't help the wifi issue, but maybe now i can continue with the OS install...

katmad wrote:
Hi, I am happily reporting that the mouse works, and happily admitting that i was too dumb to realize that i was merely charging the mouse, so when i realized this possibility and put the dongle in and turned the "newfangled" device on it worked immediately and perfectly... doesn't help the wifi issue, but maybe now i can continue with the OS install...

hi i have the same problem with yours, i have try, all their suggestion, but still did not solve the problem, i try different working (i test it with other pc) video card, still same problem, all those are new parts except the powersupply, but i bought it from different store, so i am not sure with parts may cause the problem

anybody help please...

i7 9700k
asus rog strix z370g
corsair vengence 2400mhz
samsung evo 960
thermaltake toughpower xt 875w

katmad
Level 7
Hello again,
So I booted without the keyboard and with the disc inside the dvd and I got to ooot screen, then plugged in the keyboard and mouse and hit f2 and got to the UEFI BIOS screen. Everything seems to be working perfectly EXCEPT it doesn't recognize my logitech mx master (usb plugged in). This isn't a problem until I went to install windows 10 and it seems to need the mouse in order to proceed because the keyboard is nearly disabled once i boot from the dvd.... so i can't install an operating system as of now... Any advice on the mouse?
I have tried it in the usb2, 3.1, 3.2, nothing works even though the mouse's green light is on...
Also, couldn't update the bios because the DHCP says connection failed and the PPPoE with my wifi code says connection failed... do i need to connect via lan?
THANKS THANKS THANKS x 100000000

Menthol
Level 14
Most ASUS boards bios can be updated using Flashback method using a USB drive with power connected but PC not turned on, does your manual list how to do this?

I have not had any problems with mice or keyboard connected to USB 2.0 ports, all I can say is maybe buy the cheapest mouse and keyboard you can find to try, but updating the bios may cure all your issues if you can use the flashback method