cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XMP Instability

PilotGW
Level 8
Hi,

For the better part of a week I’ve been battling (and failing) to try and get my 8700k stable. I’m only aiming for 4.8GHz. That’s the maximum I’m comfortable with in relation to temperatures (and I know I lost the silicon lottery anyway so I won’t bother).

My specs are:

Maximus X Hero

16GB Corsair Vengeance Red LED 3000MHz

MSI 1080Ti

Windows 10 Pro

I currently have the following BIOS settings:

BIOS 0802

MCE Auto

Sync All Cores

Ratio 48

AVX Offset 0

LLC 5

IA AC DC Load Line 0.01

Adaptive Voltage 1.312v

Offset -0.016v

These settings give me a VCore under load of 1.296v.

If I leave the memory at stock, it seems stable. However, if I turn on XMP or manually set the memory overclock things fall apart:

Prime95 26.6 Blend: One error detected within minutes (although I’ve only done this once overnight)

OCCT Linpack: Error detected at exactly the same time, every time (around 10 minutes 45 seconds)

ASUS Realbench: Instability Detected (7z), every time (usually between 20-40 minutes)

I’ve tried playing with the IO and SA voltages (XMP turns IO up to 1.34v and leaves SA at 1.1v!), same result.
I’ve also tried getting rid of the overclock with just XMP enabled, same result.

At the moment I’m thinking dodgy memory. I did run Memtest earlier in the week and after 7 hours threw 2 errors. Subsequent runs of Memtest however have come up clean so I’m not sure.

I’m at my wits end and don’t know where to turn next. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Greg W.

EASA CPL ME/IR
22 REPLIES 22

Silent Scone wrote:
"All kinds of test" being what tests exactly? A BIOS update is not assured to resolve anything. You can try adjusting the VCCIO and VCCSA voltages starting from 1.15v. Memory overclocking on this platform is fairly straight forward, so aslong as the user is able to POST at XMP very little tuning should be needed unless shooting for the stars (4000Mhz+)

Aida64, Windows memory diagnostic tool, prime95, Asus RealBench and cinebench all runs fine with no errors, but pretty much every single game I play at the moment crashes to desktop in minutes (Assassins Creed Origins, CS GO, PUBG, Shadow of War etc)

I don't really know anything about ram voltages because I have always used XMP on my previous builds and never had to touch anything.
But when I tried to set everything to auto and run at 3200mhz it set the timings to 17-18-18-36 and wanted to push 1.5v into the ram and I thought that was a bit much since it is only built for 1.35 running on XMP (which is 3600mhz cl 15 15 15 35) so I changed it to 1.35v and everything just works now, haven't had a single crash. I just wanted to enjoy my new rig after like 2 weeks of not understanding why all my games crashed on my new system so haven't bothered testing anymore, wanted to wait for a new bios before making any changes. Thanks for you reply though 🙂

el terrible wrote:
Aida64, Windows memory diagnostic tool, prime95, Asus RealBench and cinebench all runs fine with no errors, but pretty much every single game I play at the moment crashes to desktop in minutes (Assassins Creed Origins, CS GO, PUBG, Shadow of War etc)

I don't really know anything about ram voltages because I have always used XMP on my previous builds and never had to touch anything.
But when I tried to set everything to auto and run at 3200mhz it set the timings to 17-18-18-36 and wanted to push 1.5v into the ram and I thought that was a bit much since it is only built for 1.35 running on XMP (which is 3600mhz cl 15 15 15 35) so I changed it to 1.35v and everything just works now, haven't had a single crash. I just wanted to enjoy my new rig after like 2 weeks of not understanding why all my games crashed on my new system so haven't bothered testing anymore, wanted to wait for a new bios before making any changes. Thanks for you reply though 🙂

None of those are memory stress tests. If you want to revisit it anytime, use HCI Memtest Pro, open one instance per thread and assign 90% of available memory and let the test run for at least 400% coverage.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

JustinThyme
Level 13
Just a quick run down on dram and XMP.

Firstly....
When asking for advice/help always list your full specs. Its easiest if you go to your profile and populate the info there so you only have to enter it once. When talking about dram please list the actual part number.

XMP is an overclock. Its how the kit was binned and tested on the test platform at the factory, Its not a guarantee. The guaranteed settings is the jedec standard for your MOBO. If it says 2666, which is the Z370 strandard, that's your guaranteed speed. What runs on one board may not run on another. Some kits you pop in, click on XMP and BAM it works no worrys. Some it never works but makes for a good starting point to tweak on until it works. The OC on anything else, particularly the CPU and definitely the BCLCK will affect whether or not XMP works. Jack your BCLCK and its pretty much a guarantee you will have a headache trying to get the dram to work with it if at all.

Not all kits are alike. Bargain dram is bargain for a reason. They can write whatever they want on there for XMP values as its not the JEDEC. Think of XMP as an overclock preset.

Your MOBO and CPU also play a large part in dram stability. Dont forget the memory controller resides with the CPU.

DO NOT MIX KITS!!!I Buy what you want now. Dont buy 32GB now with the premise that you will buy 32GB more later to upgrade to 64GB. Mixing kits, even the exact same model number is a risky venture. You may get lucky and it works flawlessly but the odds are not forever in your favor on this. This forum and many others are full of dram issues that are the result of mixing kits. The higher the speed the more important this is. Sticks are first binned for like properties then tested pulled and grouped as a kit and tested again as a kit. The more sticks there are in a kit the more likely it is for things to not work as planned and the more effort it takes on the part of the manufacturer to bin the kits. Some are under the impression the sticks just roll off an assembly line and get packed up in quantities of 1, 2, 4 or 8 etc. Its not so. It takes more effort than that.

Finally and possibly most importantly.......PURCHASE RAM THAT IS ON YOUR MOBO QVL LIST!! This was you know that a particular kit was tested and confirmed to work with a particular platform.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein