cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XMP fails to boot.

Enderwiggin03
Level 7
Z390-E, 4x8GB G.Skill DDR4 4266 CL19-19-19-39, i9 9900k. With both XMPI and II, RAM fails to post, works at 3733 15-15-15-35. Manual tweaks don't seem to help yet.
20 REPLIES 20

HiVizMan wrote:
Sadly I just don't have access to the memory kits currently - so not able to test out different settings for you mate.

All I can suggest is starting from the last known successful pass of memtest and work up the Frequency ladder slowly. See when and where the first set of errors start to happen. That may help identify how to resolve.

The fact that XMP 1 does not work for you does surprise me. As I have found that particular profile has had the most leeway in my experience.

Not sure how, but I'm running with 4200Mhz using XMP II profile. With LLC set to 6, SA and IO voltages read 1.344V in Bios and Windows. Memory Voltage was bumped to 1.45 (reading 1.456). It was able to pass Memtest86 except test 13 (Hammer), which I guess is common, so I'm happy with it. I basically pulled the battery per Asus instruction, and slowly just adjusted XMP settings (no timings) until Memtest passed. At 4266, test 6 would occasionally fail, so I figured I'd try 4200 without adding a ton of voltage. Currently running my 9900k at 5.1 on all 4 cores atm, seems stable so far, with temps in the 70's running Cinebench.

Enderwiggin03 wrote:
Not sure how, but I'm running with 4200Mhz using XMP II profile. With LLC set to 6, SA and IO voltages read 1.344V in Bios and Windows. Memory Voltage was bumped to 1.45 (reading 1.456). It was able to pass Memtest86 except test 13 (Hammer), which I guess is common, so I'm happy with it. I basically pulled the battery per Asus instruction, and slowly just adjusted XMP *settings (no timings) until Memtest passed. At 4266, test 6 would occasionally fail, so I figured I'd try 4200 without adding a ton of voltage. Currently running my 9900k at 5.1 on all 4 cores atm, seems stable so far, with temps in the 70's running Cinebench.

I would crank CAS by one clock. If you’re failing memtest86, then the overclock is still very much conditional. If you experience any erratic crashes to desktop, you’ll know why. Run Ramtest for 200-400% coverage.https://www.karhusoftware.com/ramtest/

5.1 is a good CPU, although there are 8 cores, not 4 😉
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
I would crank CAS by one clock. If you’re failing memtest86, then the overclock is still very much conditional. If you experience any erratic crashes to desktop, you’ll know why. Run Ramtest for 200-400% coverage.https://www.karhusoftware.com/ramtest/

5.1 is a good CPU, although there are 8 cores, not 4 😉

Meant 5.1 on all 8, so used to my old Core 2 Quad machine. Short of CPU overclock BSODs, which have been resolved, the system has been very stable. I went with an adoptive voltage of around 1.25v I think for the CPU, but it's still high at idle in Windows, I assume this is related to the LLC?

Enderwiggin03 wrote:
Not sure how, but I'm running with 4200Mhz using XMP II profile. With LLC set to 6, SA and IO voltages read 1.344V in Bios and Windows. Memory Voltage was bumped to 1.45 (reading 1.456). It was able to pass Memtest86 except test 13 (Hammer), which I guess is common, so I'm happy with it. I basically pulled the battery per Asus instruction, and slowly just adjusted XMP settings (no timings) until Memtest passed. At 4266, test 6 would occasionally fail, so I figured I'd try 4200 without adding a ton of voltage. Currently running my 9900k at 5.1 on all 4 cores atm, seems stable so far, with temps in the 70's running Cinebench.

Ok that is great progress.

Silents suggestion is deffo something to implement and I like the software he has suggested too.

5.1 all cores is good, memory clocking (after your efforts) seem to have paid off too.

Now all that remains is the fine tuning. Just remember to constantly save profiles in the bios. That saves you having to re-invent the wheel every time.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Vlada011
Level 10
Don't worry if your XMP won't boot just like that, they need little tweak with straps and voltage sometimes.
But as some RAM reviews show up ... performance after manual set of same kit are even better.

HiVizMan
Level 40
What is the voltage at idle? One mans high is another mans low...
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
What is the voltage at idle? One mans high is another mans low...

1.355v-1.357v drops to around 1.3v under load.

Enderwiggin03 wrote:
1.355v-1.357v drops to around 1.3v under load.

Yes, that behavior is to be expected.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Couldn't leave well enough alone, back at 4266mhz on XMP 1, 1.452v DRAM, 1.344v IO, and 1.392v SA (all bios readings, not settings), I basically compensated for the LLC, memtest86 running, but it's looking good so far. Guess I just needed to tweak things a bit.

HiVizMan
Level 40
EnderW like to see a bloke not give up and get the outcome he was aiming at. Nice one mate.