cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XMP 1 and XMP 2 difference

jrrog1975
Level 7
I just upgraded from a Z270 to Z390 using the XI Code. I moved the G.Skill RAM from my other system. On the Z170 I only had 1 XMP option. On this new board I see 2. What's the difference and which one should I choose?
20 REPLIES 20

Korth wrote:
Ah, I was wrong in this instance, sorry for the accusation, my apologies. And thanx for the response. I still maintain that ASUS generally provides awfully inadequate documentation, but that's something which has already been said elsewhere.

That's hillarious......If you were wrong about this, and admit you didn't bother reading the manual, and claim ASUS is the problem, you maintain ASUS is somehow provides poor documentation. You know what. I think it's you who have a problem reading manuals. You'r the kind of guy who thinks manual is **** and you know better. So you trash manuals, and if something goes wrong you blame the manufacturers.
You were caught not reading documentaion, and that is something you have to change. Don't blame others for you ignorance.

emsir wrote:
That's hillarious......If you were wrong about this, and admit you didn't bother reading the manual, and claim ASUS is the problem, you maintain ASUS is somehow provides poor documentation. You know what. I think it's you who have a problem reading manuals. You'r the kind of guy who thinks manual is **** and you know better. So you trash manuals, and if something goes wrong you blame the manufacturers.
You were caught not reading documentaion, and that is something you have to change. Don't blame others for you ignorance.

Im gonna travel back in time too just to say that I agree with the alien Korth on this one. For god sakes he admitted that he missed the vague entry in the manual
and THEN apologized. The fact that he overlooked a paragaph in the manual has nothing to do with the fact that Asus is NOT very forthcoming or helpful whenit comes to features & settings. For instance in the newest bios (and the 3 previous bios') for the Asus Maximus XIII Hero there is a menu in the bios that describes which M.2 & sata slots & lanes are available depending on whats installed and its written terribly, matter of fact it makes zero sense like its written in chinesium but this is an american board sold in america with an english manual.
Maybe not the greatest example off the top of my head but it doesnt matter you have to go back and find 5 year old overclocking guides written by the community just to know what some of the bios settings actually mean and/or what they are used for. Asus should be more forth coming fgs there is a notes field for each item that could have a detailed description of what each setting does. More times than not its left empty or very hard to understand & google doesnt reveal answers most of the time (unless like I said you can find an old guide that has definitions) & you have to just hope they still mean the same thing on current models.

Also it doesnt help when Asus uses an "auto" setting for everything without mentioning if the default auto setting is enabled or disabled, or something else
ASUS Maximus 13 Hero, Intel I9 11900k, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA

Personally having some knowledge about my BIOS settings is vary important, reading the manual and using internet searches is the first step.

Asus Support explains common BIOS settings for Asus motherboards on the FAQ link: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1043748/

Another way to become well acquainted with BIOS settings is actually using the BIOS, and reading the settings description located at the bottom of page.

XMP settings in my BIOS is clearly explained at the bottom of the page.

Korth
Level 14
@ASUS ... lol I wish ASUS gave us a little more documentation about stuff like this ... so we'd actually know the features exist.

I mean meaningful documentation which actually tells the end user what features are there, what they do, what changing them will do.
Not uninformative nonsense like "Enable/Disable setting = enables or disables setting in BIOS" lol.

I don't feel it should be the consumer's responsibility to have to constantly monitor and report to support forums to basically read stuff unanswered in the user manual.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

If both XMP profiles are stable then which one would be the best. Note: please check my system specs on the side.
I have Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 128 GB kit DDR4-3200 (32GB X 4)

XMP Profile 1:

• DRAM Frequency: DDR4-3200Mhz
  • DRAM CAS# Latency: 16
  • DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 20
  • DRAM RAS# ACT Time: 38
  • DRAM Voltage: 1.3500
  • Everything else is set to Auto

XMP Profile 2

• DRAM Frequency: DDR4-3200Mhz
  • DRAM CAS# Latency: 16
  • DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 20
  • DRAM RAS# ACT Time: 38
  • DRAM Voltage: 1.3500
  • DRAM RAS# to RAS# Delay L: 9
  • DRAM RAS# to RAS# Delay S: 6
  • DRAM REF Cycle Time: 880
  • DRAM REF Cycle Time 2: 560
  • DRAM REF Cycle Time 4: 416
  • DRAM FOUR ACT WIN Time: 36
  • Everything else is set to Auto

BillBittel
Level 12
I agree with Korth as well. So many Asus Bios updates (which is a good thing) with very limited release notes that almost always say "Improve System Performance) and little else. There are also many obscure settings in the Bios that have little or no description. IMHO, in a perfect world, Asus would publish an entire Bios manual.

Also, as the Bios gets more complicated, the amount of Bios details in the owner's manuals seems to be decreasing. The manual for my Dark Hero has 5 pages dedicated to very basic Bios operations, and a few pages of Q codes. My Max X Hero Wifi manual has 42 pages dedicated to Bios operations + Q-codes. My X99 Deluxe II manual has 37 pages dedicated to Bios functions + Q codes plus a 54 page Features Manual. Asus could (and should) publish an entire manual dedicated to the Bios. When Bios updates are released, there should be an update manual that describes changes to the new Bios in detail. For what they charge for these motherboards, I don't think this is an unreasonable expectation.

vvoid
Level 8
The issue I guess is that casual users won't be able to tell the difference what is "better", assuming both is stable. Can you be sure "Asus optimized" is better than the complete DIMM's SPD? It totally could be the other way around.
And how can something be "Asus optimized" if the sticks aren't even on the QVL?

sdmf74
Level 11
I'll give another example, this new SVID BEHAVIOR setting, at least for those of us coming from Z270 or b4 to Rocket Lake. We were simply advised to enter .01 mOHM for both AC/DC LL. I don't ever recall anyone ever using or advising that it was possible to use any value other than .01 on Z270 yet with this new SVID setting there is NO mention anywhere that these two different settings are intertwined & AC/DC LL MUST be set to "Auto" in order for SVID behavior to even function!
At least to my knowledge.

I can only imagine how many people (myself included) wanting to use adaptive mode on their new CPU and entered .01 then experiencing instability despite any amount of vcore because changing to any of the 6 svid behaviors was futile & ignored. Further more when you set the SVID behavior it doesn't reflect a number value in AC/DC LL! It still reads Auto, and 99% of software (100% of Asus software) doesn't even tell you what value it is set at.
IE typical scenario=.330/.330mOHM VS Worst-case scenario=.900/.900 mOHM etc. etc.

The info on these settings is scarce online. I figured it out but I fear others will just pump more & more voltage into their chip before realizing something else is at play.

I did some testing over the weekend and found an over 16c difference between best-case scenario & Intel failsafe, not to mention a large range of voltage under load!

I fully realize we overclock our overpriced Asus gear at our own peril but a little guidance on matters such as these would be appreciated rather than just saying "the more optimistic the setting the better the chip" or whatever the heck it reads in the bios.

I guess we should just feel lucky the bios notes are written in English even if most don't make any sense (despite the M13H being on the 4th or 5th bios since release).
ASUS Maximus 13 Hero, Intel I9 11900k, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA