cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XI Formula "Detect HDD" can't boot

LucikMucik
Level 7
Hello, I want to say that I had this issue from the beginning but I "solved" it a little so I didn't care, but I want to sell it soon, and I need to solve it completely, so I can say some advice to buyer etc.

1* When I turn on the PC, it boots ok to windows.
2* When I restart or just turn off and want to start it again, it gets stuck on Detect HDD on display, first is there 99 QCODE, then it changes to A0 and then A2 and stays forever - this can be "fixed" by enabling Fast boot in Windows so it basically doesn't start again but from hiberfil.sys.
3* So when I want to turn the PC back on, I have to turn off my PSU with a switch, press the start button to use all energy left (important) - does sound and RGB blinks - and then turn on the PSU and press the button again. Then it normally starts once, turns off and turn on again and then it boots to win normally.

Does anyone know what to do with this?
Thanks

I didn't find how to customize system specs so I write it here:
i9 9900k OC to 4.9
GSkill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz XMP
XI Formula
970 Evo 250GB NVME - system
MX200 SSD
1TB Barracuda
GTX 1080Ti
Evga G2 750W
10 REPLIES 10

BigJohnny
Level 13
Fast boot actually can reload problems. I leaver mine disabled.
Detect HDD can be an instability issue. I know If I push my ram timings to tight or OC too high Ill get either Detect HDD or load GPU BIOs.
The A0 Then A2 is memory channels. That may be the source of your problem. Even if its XMP some kits dont like it or dont play well with the IMC on the chip and you have to do it manully. Try just setting the memory to default Jdec and see if it stops. Ive had kits that I could still get the same speed but had to do it manually.

When you switch off the PSU that resets all the memory training and its a double boot to get back up.

LucikMucik
Level 7
True, I set it manually and boots on the first try, but just slower than normal.

Thank you.

LucikMucik
Level 7
So no, it doesn't work either. I tried to set +1 to all timings and nothing.
Set 3000Mhz and also nothing.

Up p

Nate152
Hi LucikMucik

16GB at 3200MHz should be a breeze for the 9900k.

In the bios reset to defaults (F5) and start again.

Set your ram manually to its rated specs, voltage, frequency and primary timings with the command rate set to 2N.

Then, on the Extreme tweaker tab set both CPU System Agent voltage and CPU VCCIO Voltage to 1.15v - 1.20v.

F10 and Enter to save and exit.

How does she go?

Nate152 wrote:
Hi LucikMucik

16GB at 3200MHz should be a breeze for the 9900k.

In the bios reset to defaults (F5) and start again.

Set your ram manually to its rated specs, voltage, frequency and primary timings with the command rate set to 2N.

Then, on the Extreme tweaker tab set both CPU System Agent voltage and CPU VCCIO Voltage to 1.15v - 1.20v.

F10 and Enter to save and exit.

How does she go?

Hello, sorry for the late answer, too much work.
When I do defaults, set 3200, 1.35, 1.2 and 1.2V, 16-18-18-2 it says Memory 3E -> Detect Memory and circling over it. Doesn't even show BIOS.

Nate152
Hi again,

I would suggest resetting to defaults (F5 save and exit) and see how things go from there, try rebooting and see if you still have any problems.

If you still get code 99 and A2 when rebooting, this could be something with the gpu on back to the monitor, maybe try a different monitor cable or different types of cables if you have them.

Let's see if you have any problems at default settings.

LucikMucik
Level 7
After default it boots ok all the time.

Nate152
Thank you

Let's take a different approach.

This time,

Set Dram Voltage - 1.35v
CPU System Agent voltage - 1.15v
CPU VCCIO Voltage - 1.15v

Go to Dram Timing Control and set the primary timings with command rate 2

Now, on the Extreme Tweaker tab raise the Dram Frequency one step, save and exit.

Keep doing this until you run into stability issues and let me know how far you get.