cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X Hero - M.2 nut warning

Deepcuts
Level 10
Just letting you know that you should not use the bottom M.2 slot with the included shield, or any other shield for that matter,
Besides the increased temperature while using the shield, the lower nut in which you insert the screw that holds the shield is not fixed/soldered well enough onto the motherboard and will snap out.
As far as I can tell, the nut was only soldered to the board with a flimsy ~0.5mm spot weld.(in layman's term)
A bit disappointing for the price.

Image showing the location from where the nut broke off.
69670

Maybe someone should pay more attention to quality.

Later edit: added another image for clarification
69699
5,457 Views
10 REPLIES 10

Menthol
Level 14
Deepcuts,
You posted 20 minutes ago with the fan bracket installed, superglue, or the bottom right motherboard mounting screw maybe?

SherardG
Level 7
Deepcuts wrote:
Just letting you know that you should not use the bottom M.2 slot with the included shield, or any other shield for that matter,
Besides the increased temperature while using the shield, the lower nut in which you insert the screw that holds the shield is not fixed/soldered well enough onto the motherboard and will snap out.
As far as I can tell, the nut was only soldered to the board with a flimsy ~0.5mm spot weld.(in layman's term)
A bit disappointing for the price.

Image showing the location from where the nut broke off.
69670

Maybe someone should pay more attention to quality.


How did this happen? I just saw your post and I was already looking for 3D Printing shops here for the fan mount.

Menthol
Level 14
I'm thinking he turned the fan speed to max and it flew off the board 🙂

The fan mount comes with the hero Wifi model, it's metal, does it not come on the non Wifi?

Menthol wrote:
I'm thinking he turned the fan speed to max and it flew off the board 🙂

The fan mount comes with the hero Wifi model, it's metal, does it not come on the non Wifi?


The fan mount that comes with the Non-WiFi model and I assume, even the WiFi model is supposed to be mounted on the VRMs, and not the M.2 Slot.

Deepcuts wrote:
@Menthol, take another look at the fan bracket picture.
69677

The shield screw point is not the same as the fan bracket screw point.
If you look at the image with the fan bracket installed, you will see the M.2 nut missing from there also.
The bracket came with my Non-Wifi Hero.
The nut came off by itself after trying to move my SSD and the shield from the top to the bottom slot. I secured it, closed the case and tested temps. Because the temps were not good, I opened the case and saw the nut came undone. Took the shield off and put the bracket with the 40mm fan instead.
Hope it is more clear now.


@Deepcuts,

I don't think that you are supposed to mount your heatsink there. The manual clearly indicates that this is the 3D mount point, and if you say you moved the heatsink, the screws are definitely different, there are included specific 3D mount screws for these parts. The fan holder for the NVMe SSD on the M.2 slot should be 3D printed, and not the VRM one... The screws are different.

SherardG wrote:
The fan mount that comes with the Non-WiFi model and I assume, even the WiFi model is supposed to be mounted on the VRMs, and not the M.2 Slot.



@Deepcuts,

I don't think that you are supposed to mount your heatsink there. The manual clearly indicates that this is the 3D mount point, and if you say you moved the heatsink, the screws are definitely different, there are included specific 3D mount screws for these parts. The fan holder for the NVMe SSD on the M.2 slot should be 3D printed, and not the VRM one... The screws are different.


Yep your right, ^_^ That Fan mount, is for the VRM's only. Not meant for the M.2 Slot 2. If they did had one for it, it will say its supported for it.

Deepcuts
Level 10
@Menthol, take another look at the fan bracket picture.
69677

The shield screw point is not the same as the fan bracket screw point.
If you look at the image with the fan bracket installed, you will see the M.2 nut missing from there also.
The bracket came with my Non-Wifi Hero.
The nut came off by itself after trying to move my SSD and the shield from the top to the bottom slot. I secured it, closed the case and tested temps. Because the temps were not good, I opened the case and saw the nut came undone. Took the shield off and put the bracket with the 40mm fan instead.
Hope it is more clear now.

Deepcuts wrote:
@Menthol, take another look at the fan bracket picture.
69677

The shield screw point is not the same as the fan bracket screw point.
If you look at the image with the fan bracket installed, you will see the M.2 nut missing from there also.
The bracket came with my Non-Wifi Hero.
The nut came off by itself after trying to move my SSD and the shield from the top to the bottom slot. I secured it, closed the case and tested temps. Because the temps were not good, I opened the case and saw the nut came undone. Took the shield off and put the bracket with the 40mm fan instead.
Hope it is more clear now.


Yep your right. That Fan Mount is for the VRM above on the motherboard. If you look on the manual, it clearly states where to mount it. >w<

izzyreb02
Level 9
I belive this is the correct kind of mount you would need for the bottom M.2 slot.

69684

izzyreb02
Level 9
I belive this is the right M.2 Fan Mount for the M.2 slot 2. >w<

69685