cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worried about the back of my CPU socket on EXtreme XI. Does this look right?

RidetheSpiral
Level 7
Well... I got as far as installing my Extreme XI and CPU water block, but then noticed something weird with the back of the CPU socket. Thoughts anyone? *77551
5 REPLIES 5

Falkentyne
Level 12
Are they all missing caps (or resistors) at those exposed points?
And those weird two look like a soldering job done on a friday afternoon.
Maybe RMA it?

kens30
Level 11
It looks like the right side of of the back plate has some dents on the 3 extruding metals .
I wouldn't worry about it if everything is fully functional but on the other hand, i would not accept this or any other imperfections on such an expensive motherboard.

I would personally RMA it but since you have used the board i doubt that it would be accepted as a factory defect or your own doing.

Falkentyne wrote:
Are they all missing caps (or resistors) at those exposed points?
And those weird two look like a soldering job done on a friday afternoon.
Maybe RMA it?

I just noticed the above when i zoomed in on the pic i wouldn't put my CPU in that socket.

RMA the board.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Id take it back from where it came, return to point of purchase is the easiest route.
Looked at some reference pics on ASUS website and it shows 4 empty sockets which do not match yours. Possible change at board level revision and manufacture. Empty sockets isnt half the worry as the bent and twisted ones I see in there. Might work fine so long as none of the empties are from broken pins.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Thanks for your input guys. Much appreciated. I RMA'd the motherboard this morning.

Update: RMA'd the Extreme XI back to Newegg. Newegg provided a prepaid return UPS shipping label, promptly accepted my return, and shipped out a new replacement. I'd rate their customer service in this case as excellent... so I just jumped on a G Skill F4-3200C14Q-64GTZR kit from them and scored a sweet deal. I'll be a repeat customer. Below is a pic of the new mb rear CPU socket... Thanks again guys