cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 October UPDATE 1809 - Your thoughts/feedback

theWanderer521
Level 7
Good day y'all!

Windows have already released their OS update 1809 last October 2 (rolling out to wider users still on going)

I still don't have the update on my machine or even planning to manually update it - I'll try to wait until it appears on my notifications.

However, there were numerous reports of problems like --
https://www.techradar.com/news/windows-10-october-2018-update-runs-into-problems-with-some-newer-int...

or even changing your OC settings
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?104978-Broadwell-E-users-watch-out-for-Windows-10-KB410034...

Would love to hear your thoughts - like problems you encountered and share your tips as well on how you troubleshoot the problem.
By the way, I recommend BACKUP everything before doing the update.

Thanks guys!
68 REPLIES 68

MRBULL wrote:
FOR SOME reason it didn't work

Status Legend:
(OK):download completed.

12/05 22:29:07 [ERROR] Unrecognized URI or unsupported protocol: An error has occured.
No files to download.
The system cannot find the path specified.

Anyway, the update should soon be released normally via Windows Update very soon : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4469342

_fess
Level 8
I'm having the same issue with the cold boot INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR bsod as of Dec 7. The OS is installed on Samsung M.2 960 Pro NVMe on Maximus X Hero mobo. Once it boots the second time, there's no error and it goes straight to Windows login. Hopefully Samsung/Microsoft fixes the problem sooner rather than later.

.fess wrote:
I'm having the same issue with the cold boot INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR bsod as of Dec 7. The OS is installed on Samsung M.2 960 Pro NVMe on Maximus X Hero mobo. Once it boots the second time, there's no error and it goes straight to Windows login. Hopefully Samsung/Microsoft fixes the problem sooner rather than later.

Hi,

Uninstall the SAMSUNG NVMe drivers and uses the Microsoft NVMe drivers instead (they will be used automatically when you uninstall your SAMSUNG NVMe drivers, you have nothing to do to install/activate them).

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

Uninstall the SAMSUNG NVMe drivers and uses the Microsoft NVMe drivers instead (they will be used automatically when you uninstall your SAMSUNG NVMe drivers, you have nothing to do to install/activate them).

Thanks. I've uninstalled the samsung driver via add/remove programs in control panel, but that didn't help. I guess I have to boot into safe mode, go to device management and uninstall samsung nvme drivers from there.

.fess wrote:
Thanks. I've uninstalled the samsung driver via add/remove programs in control panel, but that didn't help. I guess I have to boot into safe mode, go to device management and uninstall samsung nvme drivers from there.

Use Driver Store Explorer (Free/Open-Source) : https://github.com/lostindark/DriverStoreExplorer/releases/latest

- Right click on "Rapr.exe" > Run as administrator
- Check the boxes of all versions of this driver : secnvme.inf
- Check the box "Force Deletion" then click on the "Delete Package" button
- Close Driver Store Explorer
- Restart your PC

Having the same problem with my Hero X and a Samsung 970 Pro. First cold boot results in a "Kernel Power 41" event in Windows 1809. System starts fine on the second boot.

Someone at the Samsung forum has the same error:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Memory-Storage/NVME-driver-causes-quot-internal-power-error-quot...

I have not uninstalled the Samsung NVME driver, but disabled hibernation and therewith fast boot. System starts on first boot now. I hoped for a solution in the resolved 1809 update, but it seems, the bug is still present.

Not seeing a lot of people reporting the bug, so could it affect specific configurations only?

Merkor wrote:
Having the same problem with my Hero X and a Samsung 970 Pro. First cold boot results in a "Kernel Power 41" event in Windows 1809. System starts fine on the second boot.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Memory-Storage/NVME-driver-causes-quot-internal-power-error-quot...

I have not uninstalled the Samsung NVME driver, but disabled hibernation and therewith fast boot. System starts on first boot now. I hoped for a solution in the resolved 1809 update, but it seems, the bug is still present.

Not seeing a lot of people reporting the bug, so could it affect specific configurations only?

Hi,

I own a 960 EVO myself, and I have installed SAMSUNG NVMe drivers and I have no issue with this config :

- Motherboard : ASUS ROG Strix Z370-F
- BIOS : 1601 (the last one for my motherboard)
- NVIDIA drivers : 417.22 (the last one)
- Realtek drivers : 6.0.1.8586 UAD (the last one)
- Intel drivers : All the latest (apart from the iGPU drivers since I do not use the iGPU)
- SAMSUNG NVMe drivers : 3.0.0.1802 (the last one)
- Windows : Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 1809/October Update/RS5 [17763.168] (the last one)

- Fast Boot (BIOS) : Enabled
- CSM (BIOS) : Disabled (Full UEFI)
- Secure Boot (BIOS) : Windows UEFI Mode
- Fast Startup (Windows) : Disabled by disabling totally hibernation with this command in cmd (as administrator) : powercfg.exe /hibernate off

The issue mainly concerns people who have Fast Startup (Windows) enabled. I understand that some want at all costs to have the Fast Startup enabled, in this case, only the uninstall of SAMSUNG NVMe drivers (and use Microsoft drivers instead) can solve the problem, waiting for SAMSUNG release new NVMe drivers.

MoKiChU
Level 40
Merkor wrote:

Hi,

I own a 960 EVO myself, and I have installed SAMSUNG NVMe drivers and I have no issue with this config :

- NVIDIA drivers : 417.22 DCH (the last one)
- Intel drivers : All the latest (apart from the iGPU drivers since I do not use the iGPU)
- Windows : Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 1809/October Update/RS5 [17763.168] (the last one)

- Fast Startup (Windows) : Disabled by disabling totally hibernation with this command in cmd (as administrator) : powercfg.exe /hibernate off

The issue mainly concerns people who have Fast Startup (Windows) enabled. I understand that some want at all costs to have the Fast Startup enabled, in this case, only the uninstall of SAMSUNG NVMe drivers (and use Microsoft drivers instead) can solve the problem, waiting for SAMSUNG release new NVMe drivers.

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

- NVIDIA drivers : 417.22 (the last one)

Since I make a clean install on the 1809, i skip the driver from Samsung. I am happy. Aside that. fast-boot if off in bios aside that the the same. I read some issues that I will confirm today afternoon, on X470 since that is the build that I am going to build, well rebuild. Samsung has a close mind that they work. so having these fix is a long wait. I all ready order another brand, xpg SU8200 pro.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
It also causes crashes waking from sleep.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case