cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will double booting damage my other components ?

leerock360
Level 7
Hi guys. I have an asus maximus formula xi mobo that double boots every time from a cold start. I have tried changing all settings to no avail. It double boots each time from a cold start. I ve read all the threads on these forums about it but i cant fix it. Im really pissed tbh after paying €490 for this bum motherboard. I paid for the best quality in a top asus product but all i got was a mobo that fails to boot properly from a cold start. Will this damage my other components ie gpu (asus strix 2080 ti) cpu(9900k) etc ? I would love to return this board tbh as it clearly has issues but I dont think reseller would take it back after using it for over a month
26 REPLIES 26

mdzcpa
Level 12
Are you getting the double boot on a simple "cold boot" or are you getting the double boot after powering down the motherboard completely (shut off at the power supply)?

I suspect you are hard powering down all of your components including your monitor (yes?). Why not just leave them shutdown but powered? The energy savings by full power down is miniscule compared to the power used when running your system. This would solve your problems.

SirWaWa
Level 7
do all asus z370/390 boards do this?
it's the bios after the very first that's doing this, correct? and still doing this?

SirWaWa wrote:
do all asus z370/390 boards do this?
it's the bios after the very first that's doing this, correct? and still doing this?

Yes, they all exhibit the behavior. All BIOS versions for me on M11 Hero exhibit behavior. I leave my system connected to power source so I never really encounter the issue much.

leerock360
Level 7
I contacted Asus and they told me its normal for this motherboard to do this each and every time i cold boot my pc. Absolute joke. They also said the video card error of beeps is normal too if i dont power my monitor up first. I returned this board and got a Gigabyte Aorus master instead. Guess what ? My pc doesnt double boot any more. I dont get video card error beeps if i dont power on my monitor first. The Asus z390 model of boards is a disgrace. I hope they learn from their mistakes and that short cutting and charging top dollar does not pay. I will think twice in future before i buy another Asus motherboard. Another thing i noticed with the xi formula was my pch temperature was 54 degrees idle. The Aorus was 29 degrees after 3 hrs of gameplay. Something not right there either.*

mdzcpa
Level 12
Keep in mind that some of your "issues" are "features" for others.

For example, when pushing the highest clocks, some users prefer a board that beeps back a bad video card operation when the screen doesn't call back to the card. It allows for a trouble shoot versus simply staring at a black screen and wondering if it was the board, CPU or GPU that failed to initialize.

As for the double boot, that's meant to set fresh parameters at every power cycle. It allows for a better tuned board. Variables change. As most folks do not disconnect their PC from power source on shutdown, most do not experience the double boot. Same goes for the unpowered monitor. Not an issue for the vast majority of users.

That all said, if those characteristics of the Maximus XI line were just unacceptable, you made a good decision to move on. Features are a trade off. Enjoy that Gigabyte UEFI !!

I will enjoy it. You can try justify it to yourself over and over. Whatever makes you sleep at night mate.

mdzcpa wrote:
Keep in mind that some of your "issues" are "features" for others.

For example, when pushing the highest clocks, some users prefer a board that beeps back a bad video card operation when the screen doesn't call back to the card. It allows for a trouble shoot versus simply staring at a black screen and wondering if it was the board, CPU or GPU that failed to initialize.

As for the double boot, that's meant to set fresh parameters at every power cycle. It allows for a better tuned board. Variables change. As most folks do not disconnect their PC from power source on shutdown, most do not experience the double boot. Same goes for the unpowered monitor. Not an issue for the vast majority of users.

That all said, if those characteristics of the Maximus XI line were just unacceptable, you made a good decision to move on. Features are a trade off. Enjoy that Gigabyte UEFI !!

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Some of the controllers and functions require a power cycle, including memory training. It's needed, engineers don't employ these things just because they think you'll enjoy it.

Those are the facts. If you don't like it, there's plenty of choices out there. I personally like to think most users are more objective about what the boards can achieve in use rather than worrying over the 2 seconds it takes to cycle. If that's what you base the ability of a board on, then there's not a lot else one can say...

Short answer is no, it won't damage anything, and the power cycling is needed. Thread locked.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090