cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's best 2 x 16 GB or 4 x8GB sticks of 3600 RAM

XYchromosone
Level 10
As per the title, can anyone tell me which is best out of the 2 kits of RAM specifically out of these two:
https://www.mwave.com.au/product/gskill-trident-z-rgb-32gb-4x-8gb-ddr4-cl17-3600mhz-memory-ab94984
or
https://www.mwave.com.au/product/gskill-trident-z-rgb-32gb-2x-16gb-ddr4-cl17-3600mhz-memory-ab95245

They both have the same ratings/timings. but I am not clear if there is any advantage between the 2. The only difference is one kit comes a a pair and the other is a kit of 4 sticks of RAM. TIA
19 REPLIES 19

Mappi75 wrote:
lol running G.Skill 32GB 4.133Mhz 17-17-37 Kit the first time on the Asus Maximus XI Extreme (thanks to the 9900KS)!

Now running (and reaching) 24 hours HCI MemTest Pro and no errors (reaching 2000% coverage).

I would not say faster memory wont help (maybe the sweet spot is a 3200mhz) but the key are the CAS Latency and its subtimings.

BTW: 16gb modules usual dont have very good timings like 4x8gb kits.

look youtube videos and you will see a difference in fps in games (more than you will think).

Thanks for your input. I find going for higher speed RAM and clocking it at about 75% of its full rated capacity e.g., 36000MHz running at 3200MHz is a good idea and a "sweet spot" with the RAM I've experimented with this far. I find I can get tighter timings that way, over running it at 3600MHz speed. Lastly, the 2 kits I mentioned in my OP are rated at the same timings, well the primary timings are at least. I am not certain about the secondary timings though. I must look into that.

UPDATE: it is quite a challenge to find full specs for RAM. At least secondary specs are hard to find.... I couldn't find any.

XYchromosone wrote:
I find going for higher speed RAM and clocking it at about 75% of its full rated capacity e.g., 36000MHz running at 3200MHz is a good idea

This is safe but very expensive approach 🙂 3200 can be half priced than 3600... If i can advise you, look into QVL for your MB and get RAM with speed you want and tightest timmings you can afford for your money. 3200 should be achiveable out-of-the box, any over 3600 may require BIOS tunning, and in worst case scenario - 4000+ can't be achiveable - it all depends on MC in your 9900K. Personally I tried 4000, then 3600, and finanlly I stay with 3866 17-17-17-36:)

XYchromosone wrote:
UPDATE: it is quite a challenge to find full specs for RAM. At least secondary specs are hard to find.... I couldn't find any.

What do you mean "secondary spec"?

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
Both of those kits are garbage

3600C16 or C15 if you want 3200 shoot for C14
How many sticks and amount depends

Quad channel board shoot for at least 4 sticks
Dual channel board shoot for at least two sticks

All platforms oc better in dual channel

https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
I am ordering 32gb in 2 stick next week. since my ram came 4 in a box i will change that 3600mhz qvl in 2 stick. I did see that works better. no idea why.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

MrAgapiGC wrote:
I am ordering 32gb in 2 stick next week. since my ram came 4 in a box i will change that 3600mhz qvl in 2 stick. I did see that works better. no idea why.

Did you experiment yourself to see that 2 sticks of RAM are better than 4? Or is it something that you read? First hand experience is always better I would think

XYchromosone
Level 10
Yes it is an expensive method of approach. This is why I went for 3600MHZ which is the sweat spot for me at this point.

There are 3 timings that give a specific RAM its specs, 4 if you include the speed RAM can run at in MHz these are Primary, Secondary and Tersuary timings.

Primary timing is CAS latency e.g., 16-16-16-36. You have tRFC, a secondary timing, that works alongside tREFI, a tertiary timing. Every , they are recharged in order, for amount of time. Simply put: tRFC is the amount of time your ram can do nothing, while being recharged. tREFI = the amount of time your ram can do things, before needing recharged.

XYchromosone wrote:
Yes it is an expensive method of approach. This is why I went for 3600MHZ which is the sweat spot for me at this point.

There are 3 timings that give a specific RAM its specs, 4 if you include the speed RAM can run at in MHz these are Primary, Secondary and Tersuary timings.

Primary timing is CAS latency e.g., 16-16-16-36. You have tRFC, a secondary timing, that works alongside tREFI, a tertiary timing. Every , they are recharged in order, for amount of time. Simply put: tRFC is the amount of time your ram can do nothing, while being recharged. tREFI = the amount of time your ram can do things, before needing recharged.

When it comes with specification the primary timings tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS -CR are given usually on product listing, box or manufacturer site. Secondary and teriary timings are set by memory training during post and therefore are not listed. Some of XMP II profiles can include secondary/teriary timings but I'm affraid it is also not listed 🙂

cniedzi wrote:
When it comes with specification the primary timings tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS -CR are given usually on product listing, box or manufacturer site. Secondary and teriary timings are set by memory training during post and therefore are not listed. Some of XMP II profiles can include secondary/teriary timings but I'm affraid it is also not listed 🙂

I found AIDA64 displays the Primary and Secondary timings, which is quite handy to know.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
If you want to see timings in OS use memtweakit...or ASRock do a similar program...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
If you want to see timings in OS use memtweakit...or ASRock do a similar program...

Thank you very much for the tip. I shall try your suggestions.