cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VRM switching frequency & power phase control - optimal setting.

empleat
Level 10
Hello,
i have ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-gaming i and intel i5 9600kf - stock 4.3ghz, 50-60C temp max load. I read changing VRM switching frequency and phase control reduces input lag. For VRM switching frequency: i read you should put it at least to 500Khz. I don't know what are safe values, because it differs per hardware. I am not even overclocking currently. And i just want to set it up for maximum value suited for daily use, which is 100% safe. I am not expert on this and i have no idea, what that value may be. Also is it okay to set phase control to Extreme/ Full? This motherboard has good VRM, not great, but i read it has decent one for 5ghz overclocks e.g.

Please advice me on both values, THANKS!C
6 REPLIES 6

Falkentyne
Level 12
empleat wrote:
Hello,
i have ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-gaming i and intel i5 9600kf - stock 4.3ghz, 50-60C temp max load. I read changing VRM switching frequency and phase control reduces input lag. For VRM switching frequency: i read you should put it at least to 500Khz. I don't know what are safe values, because it differs per hardware. I am not even overclocking currently. And i just want to set it up for maximum value suited for daily use, which is 100% safe. I am not expert on this and i have no idea, what that value may be. Also is it okay to set phase control to Extreme/ Full? This motherboard has good VRM, not great, but i read it has decent one for 5ghz overclocks e.g.

Please advice me on both values, THANKS!C

Whoever the hell said it improves input lag should be thrown on a tropical island with a half broken Nintendo Switch controller and a solar powered battery AC generator and never be allowed near a computer again.

Falkentyne wrote:
Whoever the hell said it improves input lag should be thrown on a tropical island with a half broken Nintendo Switch controller and a solar powered battery AC generator and never be allowed near a computer again.

This sounds like something r0ach would say, while providing nothing tangible to support his claim.

Falkentyne wrote:

https://csgotweaks.com/bios.html

I don't know, because there is actually app that let you test how much you are sensitive to input lag. On blur busters forums named: Input lag AB test. I was able to tell even 6 ms difference and i used to be supreme master class in csgo. I am not saying that to boast, as some people may think. I am just saying: i am senstive to input lag! I used to play on 144hz ASUS VG248QE, with ddci off and sharpness 0%, as it adds input lag. It has almost no input lag at all set like that! It is one of best monitors ever made!

As many people think, this is some placebo. I can confirm many tweaks from this list are not:
- disable hyper-threding
- disabling c states and speedstep
- disable virtualization
- disable on-board audio
- disable hpet (depends on HW)
- uefi vs legacy boot: legacy has different mouse feel
- disable legacy support

Other things like disabling wifi and bluetooth and things you don't need, can usually make a difference. Also using usb 2 instead usb 3, is big deal! Also secure boot cause input lag and fast boot - don't remember.

And i would like to say also, i am not hardware expert, but i can feel aforementioned setting. And while i don't know about VRM. I can test it and see for myself. So that's why i am asking what is maximum safe vrm switching frequency given my hardware for daily use and if it is okay to run with VRM phase control to Extreme/ Full?
Because even if you are expert on hardware and i am not saying you don't know about your field! But it is complex and isn't it possible, it has some impact? No one know about. It can affect other things, computers are complex... At least for aforementioned i can confirm 100% these tweaks indeed make huge difference!

empleat wrote:
https://csgotweaks.com/bios.html

I don't know, because there is actually app that let you test how much you are sensitive to input lag. On blur busters forums named: Input lag AB test. I was able to tell even 6 ms difference and i used to be supreme master class in csgo. I am not saying that to boast, as some people may think. I am just saying: i am senstive to input lag! I used to play on 144hz ASUS VG248QE, with ddci off and sharpness 0%, as it adds input lag. It has almost no input lag at all set like that! It is one of best monitors ever made!

As many people think, this is some placebo. I can confirm many tweaks from this list are not:
- disable hyper-threding
- disabling c states and speedstep
- disable virtualization
- disable on-board audio
- disable hpet (depends on HW)
- uefi vs legacy boot: legacy has different mouse feel
- disable legacy support

Other things like disabling wifi and bluetooth and things you don't need, can usually make a difference. Also using usb 2 instead usb 3, is big deal! Also secure boot cause input lag and fast boot - don't remember.

And i would like to say also, i am not hardware expert, but i can feel aforementioned setting. And while i don't know about VRM. I can test it and see for myself. So that's why i am asking what is maximum safe vrm switching frequency given my hardware for daily use and if it is okay to run with VRM phase control to Extreme/ Full?
Because even if you are expert on hardware and i am not saying you don't know about your field! But it is complex and isn't it possible, it has some impact? No one know about. It can affect other things, computers are complex... At least for aforementioned i can confirm 100% these tweaks indeed make huge difference!

VRM's operate in hundreds of *KHZ* up to 1 mhz (1000 khz). A mouse operates up to *1000hz* --ONE khz.
VRM's have nothing to do with input lag. They have to do with *CPU VCORE* in how the 12v from the power supply is regulated down to cpu vcore (example: 1.2v). Operating in a duty cycle and a switching period. It actually isn't much different from blur reduction strobing, in a way. But this has nothing to do with input lag.

And we need to shut this rumor up RIGHT NOW. And I'm going to be the one to do it. Because *NEXT* will be someone claiming "HIGHER CPU VCORE REDUCES INPUT LAG, so lets all run 1.6v into our CPU's and degrade them for the most low input lag!!*.

Not to be a jerk but this is why I don't talk to CS Go fanatics. I had way too many people add me and start spamming questions about input lag and blur reduction and custom refresh rate crap. And I don't even play that game.

Falkentyne wrote:
VRM's operate in hundreds of *KHZ* up to 1 mhz (1000 khz). A mouse operates up to *1000hz* --ONE khz.
VRM's have nothing to do with input lag. They have to do with *CPU VCORE* in how the 12v from the power supply is regulated down to cpu vcore (example: 1.2v). Operating in a duty cycle and a switching period. It actually isn't much different from blur reduction strobing, in a way. But this has nothing to do with input lag.

And we need to shut this rumor up RIGHT NOW. And I'm going to be the one to do it. Because *NEXT* will be someone claiming "HIGHER CPU VCORE REDUCES INPUT LAG, so lets all run 1.6v into our CPU's and degrade them for the most low input lag!!*.

Not to be a jerk but this is why I don't talk to CS Go fanatics. I had way too many people add me and start spamming questions about input lag and blur reduction and custom refresh rate crap. And I don't even play that game.

That's okay, but i can tell input lag, i would like to test it anyways. What is safe value for daily usage, given my hardware ? And one day, i would like to oc probably, so it will still be useful. Thanks!
So what vrm switching frequence would be safe for daily use on my setup and the other thing...

EvilDude
Level 7

I know a green rule of thumb for oc is to turn it up until it crashes, then back it down 2 clicks (200mhz) for stability.  I a bit vague on details, but I remember the infinity fabric should be half of ram or something to match the cpu speed. Typically, I just use XMP with AMD. Computers nowadays are  pretty reliable and can be sure it would last 5 yrs or more. Also low voltage when possible, will help keep the temp down and might also play a factor in latency.

I believe most people will turn voltage up by .2 volts at a time after the clock to find it's peak.