cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB disconnects, possibly tied to using internal graphics

Sineira1
Level 9
Recently I started getting weird USB disconnects for most devices across all USB ports, i.e. no change if I moved the devices.
The only change I know I made is that I turned on the internal graphics and made sure normal desktop apps were using it.
I have reinstalled drivers, removed the power settings etc.
What could be the cause of this? Is my motherboard going bad?
7 REPLIES 7

Guitarmageddon1
Level 9
Sineira1 wrote:
Recently I started getting weird USB disconnects for most devices across all USB ports, i.e. no change if I moved the devices.
The only change I know I made is that I turned on the internal graphics and made sure normal desktop apps were using it.
I have reinstalled drivers, removed the power settings etc.
What could be the cause of this? Is my motherboard going bad?

Try using a program like "USBLogView" and it will clarify what devices are disconnecting and that should help from there. I was doing this trying to diagnose some device at startup. Also, utilizing windows event viewer will help narrow down, for hardware events I believe, you'd want to look for.

Sineira1
Level 9
There's nothing in the Windows events, I looked earlier.
Just installed "USBLogView", will try to use that.

Sineira1
Level 9
"USBLogView" also gave nothing. I only see the unplugging and plugging in again I physically do to recover the devices.
Something must be misbehaving, not sure how to trouble shoot this.
I also disabled the internal graphics, made no difference.

you need a clean install of windows to test it.
normally I would suggest using a USB drive but that might not work in this case.
if you've got a spare disk lying around, swap it and test if you have the same problem on a clean install of windows.
it's a PITA but it will help you understand quickly if it is a hardware or software issue.

Saltgrass
Level 13
It would be good if you could give us your motherboard and how old it is. Since one thing in common with USB ports is the 5 volt power, maybe that is involved.

Beyond that, I noticed the last Nvidia driver I got had a USB component. I don't remember seeing that before but I may have missed it. This may only effect newer boards with USB C capabilities.

You may also want to do a visual inspection of the ports and what is currently plugged into them in case some type of damage was done to either side of a connection.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
It would be good if you could give us your motherboard and how old it is. Since one thing in common with USB ports is the 5 volt power, maybe that is involved.

Beyond that, I noticed the last Nvidia driver I got had a USB component. I don't remember seeing that before but I may have missed it. This may only effect newer boards with USB C capabilities.

You may also want to do a visual inspection of the ports and what is currently plugged into them in case some type of damage was done to either side of a connection.

I believe you are referring to the USB c port on the back of the 2000 series graphics cards (maybe older, I'm not sure I never owned one).

I believe its there for VR purposes, but you can technically use it like any other USB port in the system. Perhaps if you have a graphics card that does not have one of these additional usb c ports on it, it could be causing an issue? Maybe try uninstalling that driver?

Sineira1
Level 9
It's a ROG MAXIMUS XI CODE. I had had it since October 2018.
I moved the mouse to the "hub" port on my keyboard and that has stopped the headset from locking up and the mouse is only locking up once every 2 days instead of ~5 times a day.