cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding and using XMP

Praz
Level 13
XMP is often viewed as plug n' play when overclocking memory. As is the case when overclocking other system components memory stability may not be achievable by simply enabling XMP.

XMP will have been fully qualified by the memory manufacturer. This testing is done on a sample of boards the manufacturer has in there possession and/or by machine testing. The motherboard manufacturer likewise qualify specific memory sets for motherboards using provided memory sets, board samples and design/test data. The following are important considerations to keep in mind when relying on XMP as an overclocking option:

Using XMP is not running the system at default stock settings. Any memory setting that differs from JEDEC or processor manufacturer specifications is an overclock.

XMP is valid only for the set of memory that is purchased. Mixing modules or combining kits results in the XMP profile being no longer valid.

Regardless of what may be assumed from marketing XMP does not guarantee automatic overclocking. The tighter the timings or higher the frequency compared to stock specifications the more likely chance there is that the user will need to manually make some adjustments for stability.

To increase the probability of XMP being successful and when overclocking memory in general purchase memory kits one or two bins lower than the maximum the motherboard is qualified for.

The biggest variable of XMP being successful will be the capabilities of the processor's IMC. As with CPU speed memory overclocking success will vary from one CPU sample to the next.

When enabling XMP it is normal and should be expected that the board will alter other settings as well as voltages. These changes are set up to accommodate the processors at the lower end of the lot sampled. Especially with voltages it is the responsibility of the user to change these values to amounts that suit the particular CPU and configuration being used. Below are examples of some of the voltages that were altered by enabling XMP. As can be seen this CPU requires considerably less IO, SA and Standby voltages for stability than initially set.

XMP enabled

XMP enabled with IO, SA and Standby voltages adjusted to match the needed values for the CPU

29 REPLIES 29

Scotty99
Level 7
Id just like to add that "asus multicore enhancement" on the strix-f is actually intel defaults, plz fix for next bios revision.

Scotty99 wrote:
Id just like to add that "asus multicore enhancement" on the strix-f is actually intel defaults, plz fix for next bios revision.

No, sorry but they aren't. Check the frequencies while you're gaming, and you'll notice that they go beyond the 4,3 Ghz on all cores that is the 8700K's default top.

They're just MCE settings with the voltages fixed (compared to previous BIOS). Disabling MCE actually puts the BIOS at 1,344v under load (althought I admit that I didn't checked the frequencies when I put MCE off, and I don't feel like touching my BIOS settings any more. I'm assuming the default Intel frequencies, else that option is totally useless (which may also be the case)).

Scotty99 wrote:
I want to voice my opinion in here, what is going on with you guys and z370? My strix z70-f bios settings are all over the place, let me explain:

1. MCE is actually intel specifications, but it never boosts one core to 4.7ghz.
2 When you disable asus MCE on 0430 you get a 4.5-4.6ghz all core boost, but with HUGE amounts of voltage, nearly 1.4.

For one thing this is backwards, secondly where is the standard intel specs where you get 4.3ghz on all cores and 4.7ghz with lower volts, it does not exist on 0430.

Beta bios 5430:
I did not try anything other than bone stock defauls as i was merely troubleshooting asus aura, but this is what "optimized defaults" gives:

~4.7ghz all core boost
Greater than 1.4v

Yes this is at bios defaults with xmp DISABLED. If that bios goes live you are going to have people throttling their 8700k's, i am using a 240 AIO and i saw 80c with it just doing windows stuff.

Can you please come out with a bios for the strix -f where asus MCE is a 4.7ghz all core boost with ~1.3-1.325v? This is even on the high end to be stable for all chips. And when MCE is disabled it should follow intel spec, 4.3ghz all core boost and 4.7ghz on one core, not a single bios or mce setting has this in any of the ones i have tried.

COme on bios guys, you can do better than this.

EDIT: Just read the 2nd point on that reply. Cool, so that MCE option is REALLY useless as of now. Just awesome 😛

In addition to what Scotty said, please also fix the prompt when activating XMP. Wheter you choose Yes or No it doesn't do anything to the actual MCE option.

Or better yet, directly don't put such child-deceiving prompts, leave MCE Off by default (with that option fixed, of course), and let users decide wheter to activate it or not once they discover what exactly it does by themselves. But of course, doing that doesn't follow the standart corporate protocol, doesn't it?

Scotty99
Level 7
I want to voice my opinion in here, what is going on with you guys and z370? My strix z70-f bios settings are all over the place, let me explain:

1. MCE is actually intel specifications, but it never boosts one core to 4.7ghz.
2 When you disable asus MCE on 0430 you get a 4.5-4.6ghz all core boost, but with HUGE amounts of voltage, nearly 1.4.

For one thing this is backwards, secondly where is the standard intel specs where you get 4.3ghz on all cores and 4.7ghz with lower volts, it does not exist on 0430.

Beta bios 5430:
I did not try anything other than bone stock defauls as i was merely troubleshooting asus aura, but this is what "optimized defaults" gives:

~4.7ghz all core boost
Greater than 1.4v

Yes this is at bios defaults with xmp DISABLED. If that bios goes live you are going to have people throttling their 8700k's, i am using a 240 AIO and i saw 80c with it just doing windows stuff.

Can you please come out with a bios for the strix -f where asus MCE is a 4.7ghz all core boost with ~1.3-1.325v? This is even on the high end to be stable for all chips. And when MCE is disabled it should follow intel spec, 4.3ghz all core boost and 4.7ghz on one core, not a single bios or mce setting has this in any of the ones i have tried.

Scotty99 wrote:

Beta bios 5430:

~4.7ghz all core boost
Greater than 1.4v

Hello

Wrong thread.

Atifan
Level 7
delete because offtopic^^

ROG Strix Z370-e / i7 8700k

Hi new member here. I am no expert in overclocking etc.
I recently bought this PC (all brand new parts) few weeks ago. For being stupid (stupid coz I just updated BIOS just for the update) , I decided to update my BIOS to 5605 from 0419. I also enabled XMP profile. MCE disabled.
Right now I have fluctuating CPU temps that I have never encountered on the previous BIOS build.
Though it is stable like I can boot to Windows..do my normal stuff (browse etc.) It's just I have fears regarding these temps. Should I be worried? Should I downgrade to previous BIOS? I also experienced 85c in normal 3D sketchup renders....

If anyone can try to help and point me on any particular setting to adjust on this latest update I would greatly appreciate it.
Furthermore, I haven't done OC this one or any delidding or any expert stuff. Thanks once again!

theWanderer521 wrote:
ROG Strix Z370-e / i7 8700k

Hi new member here. I am no expert in overclocking etc.
I recently bought this PC (all brand new parts) few weeks ago. For being stupid (stupid coz I just updated BIOS just for the update) , I decided to update my BIOS to 5605 from 0419. I also enabled XMP profile. MCE disabled.
Right now I have fluctuating CPU temps that I have never encountered on the previous BIOS build.
Though it is stable like I can boot to Windows..do my normal stuff (browse etc.) It's just I have fears regarding these temps. Should I be worried? Should I downgrade to previous BIOS? I also experienced 85c in normal 3D sketchup renders....

If anyone can try to help and point me on any particular setting to adjust on this latest update I would greatly appreciate it.
Furthermore, I haven't done OC this one or any delidding or any expert stuff. Thanks once again!

If not tuning manually, auto scaling rules can differ from build to build. You can either revert back to the older BIOS or tune associated voltages manually. With XMP profile enabled, look at tuning the System Agent and VCCIO voltages. How much voltage is needed depends on the memory frequency, memory and the CPU sample.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Quastion; can XMP break the CPU? I don't think so after everything I have been reading but just wondering.

Snakeyes
Level 11
Hi and thank you Praz, (assuming the same Praz from the ancient OCZ days ?)
Just shifted to my new set up. Appreciate the post, very helpful.
NAME THE SANDWICH: – White Bread, Lots of Baloney, Russian dressing and served with a small pickle.?

Intel Core i7 8700K @5.1 Stable Delidded
Asus Maximus X Code

16 GB
G skill TridentZ DDR4 ​4266 (PC4 34100)
Corsair HX1000i digital
EVGA 1070 GTX TiSuperclocked+
Samsung NVMe SSD 960 pro M. 2
Samsung 860 Pro
Watercooled with EK block radiator fans etc.

Hi everyone, i have a little doubt, what should i do with the MCE? should let it in auto or deactivated, because if i only want to set my rams.......i don't know i'm a little dizzy.