cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with fan speed on In Win Aurora RGB fans

Xaavik
Level 7
**EDIT 2: Resolution**

Just in case anyone read my original post/edit, I just figured out what was wrong and solved the problem. And of course, it all comes down to user error... *sigh* For the fan cable coming from my fans, I used a simple 4-pin extension to help get it to the motherboard header. Of course, like many of us, I have boxes full of extra cables and extensions from all the various hardware I've purchased over the years. In this case, however, what I thought was just a simple 4-pin extension cable was actually a Noctua NA-RC7 Low Noise Adapter. Basically it was a throttling cable designed to slow down fans to make them quieter. And it sure did slow down my fans! Once I removed it, the 6 In Win fans immediately jumped up to 1400+ RPM as they should have been all along.

I definitely feel foolish for having posted a problem that didn't end up existing anywhere but in my carelessness with cable connections. Still, lesson learned - read the writing on the old cables from the boxes before just blindly plugging them in...

--Xaavik

**EDIT**
So I played around a bit and it seems this isn't a specific problem with those fans as it is with my fans in general. Right now I have 6 fans daisy chained and connected to the H_AMP header on the motherboard. The fans are rated for 800-1400 RPM with a turbo mode of 2000 RPM. With all 6 connected and the BIOS set to 100% fan speed, they are all running around 400 RPM. I was able to disconnect some from the chain and as I did, the RPMs of the remaining fans did speed up but I was never able to get it up beyond 800 RPM, even when it was down to just a single fan connected to that H_AMP header.

On the CPU header, I have 2 identical (but different from the above 6) fans connected (via splitter), each rated for 1750 RPM. I can't disconnect those as easily but the pair are only running at 1000 RPM, even with the BIOS setting to 100% fan speed.

I am hoping this is just something I am doing wrong in the BIOS. I've tried using various headers on the mobo (CPU, CPU_OPT, H_AMP, CHA_FAN3, etc.) and I've tried every BIOS setting for the fan type (Auto, PWM, DC) and every fan speed setting (Standard, Turbo, Manual). The highest RPM I can get on any setting comes from Auto type and Manual speed, set to 100 for each temperature possibility. When I switch to Turbo or Standard, the fan speeds drop 30% or more.

Per the original post (below), I had hoped to try to connect the 6 In Win fans to the hub that came with the set but unfortunately, my video card (vertically mounted) is covering the USB 2.0 headers on the mobo so to connect that hub I'd have to completely drain my loop and remove the video card to get access to those USB 2.0 headers which the hub needs. Obviously, I'm hoping to avoid that if at all possible.

Any help would be appreciated. (I've kept my original post below for reference but this new information supercedes that.)

For full reference, I have the following specs:
ROG Maximus Hero XI Wi-Fi mobo with i9-9900K CPU
2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR4-3200
EVGA RTX2080 TI FTW3 Ultra GPU
EVGA Supernova T1600 PSU.
Running custom liquid loop with EK monoblock for the mobo and EVGA Hydro Copper block for the GPU. Using a D5 PWM pump (but set to 100% speed in BIOS - and that is actually running at its rated 100% speed, unlike all the fans).

--Xaavik

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi all. I recently bought the ROG Maximus XI Hero mobo (with i9-9900K cpu) to replace my Maximus X Hero that died (I think I shocked it). I had 6 In Win Aurora fans in my rig, connected to the Maximus X and as far as I know, they worked normally. Now, I've plugged them in to the new Maximus XI Hero and I can't get them to run at the correct RPM.

Here's the info on the fans for those who aren't familiar: https://www.in-win.com/en/fans/aurora

I have all 6 fans daisy chained together (and then daisy chained with the two LED strips that also come in the set) and then I have them directly connected to the addressable RGB header on the mobo and to the H_AMP fan header on the motherboard. (I've also had them connected to the CPU Fan header and the CPU_OPT header). I am not using the hub that came with the fans (as I didn't on the previous mobo).

The problem is that no matter which header I use, and no matter what setting I use in the BIOS (DC, PWM, or auto, standard setting, turbo setting, or manual setting with 100% fan speed set), the Aurora fans will only run at about 440 RPM.

I have 2 other non In Win fans in my case and they are running around 1500 RPM as they should. I've had them connected to the same fan header (via splitter) as the Aurora and I've had them on their own separate header (at the moment, I have those 2 on the CPU FAN header and the 6 In Win fans on the H_AMP header) and those 2 always run at full RPM. But I just can't seem to get those In Win fans to run at anything other than 440.

The only two things I haven't tried, as of writing this post is using the included Hub for the In Win fans, or not using the hub and disconnecting non-In Win fans completely to see if there is some weird crosstalk.

Any thoughts on how I might get those In Win fans up to full speed would be appreciated. I still have my case open (ish) as I used the new mobo as the foundation for my first custom liquid loop (soft tube, but you have to start somewhere) so I should have some room to try various suggestions fairly quickly.

Thanks.

--Xaavik
0 REPLIES 0