cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Third party volume knob for headphones - good or bad idea? (Hero X (Wifi))

mrvortep
Level 8
I currently use a pair of Grados headphones connected to my Hero X (Wifi AC) using the line out port at the rear I/O shield (if I use the front HDAudio port on my case I get a very small amount of audible static). My headphones don't have their own volume knob, so I wanted to buy a third party in-line volume knob for them.

Would adding a third party in-line volume knob somehow diminish or otherwise interfere with the quality of sound I can hear through the headphones, given the above? I am thinking of a Koss volume knob, but open to better ideas.

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

xeromist
If the knob is powered or has relatively low impedance at the lowest setting I think you'll be fine.

That said, if you're willing to throw a bit more cash at it you could get a full headphone amp. That would most certainly sound better but it just depends how much you listen with headphones.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
If the knob is powered or has relatively low impedance at the lowest setting I think you'll be fine.

That said, if you're willing to throw a bit more cash at it you could get a full headphone amp. That would most certainly sound better but it just depends how much you listen with headphones.

Thanks. The Grados SR80e I use have a 32ohm impedence, so it doesn't take much to drive them - a separate amp is probably overkill for those I would think?

xeromist
It's not necessarily a question of power output. Yes some cans do need a strong amp to drive them but even low impedance drivers can benefit. A good amp will have a lower noise floor due to higher quality components and physical isolation from other EM sources. It should also have clean amplification with less distortion at any volume.

That said, I personally use the same desktop speakers I've had for probably 15 years and some of my mp3s are 128kbps so I'm not an audiophile. I do have a discrete powered DAC. I like having a consistent experience regardless of how I change my PC.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

mrvortep
Level 8
Great explanation, thanks very much - I'll look into a powered DAC then (I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on an amp/dac, but happy to spend maybe $50..?)

xeromist
Amazon has a basic DAC with excellent ratings for $13. I have a FIIO D3 which is a bit more but was recommended by several people.
https://www.amazon.com/PROZOR-Digital-Converter-Toslink-Adapter/dp/B00KNNSKV0
https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Analog-Converter-Optical-Toslink/dp/B005K2TXMO

However that wouldn't give you independent volume control. For that you need an actual headphone amp. Theoretically a discrete DAC could eliminate your noise issue but that would depend if it was from the source or issues with your onboard audio.

xeromist wrote:
Amazon has a basic DAC with excellent ratings for $13. I have a FIIO D3 which is a bit more but was recommended by several people.
https://www.amazon.com/PROZOR-Digital-Converter-Toslink-Adapter/dp/B00KNNSKV0
https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Analog-Converter-Optical-Toslink/dp/B005K2TXMO

However that wouldn't give you independent volume control. For that you need an actual headphone amp. Theoretically a discrete DAC could eliminate your noise issue but that would depend if it was from the source or issues with your onboard audio.

Thanks for the links - the main reason is to get a volume control knob, so I'd have to look at an AMP (+DAC) I guess. Also, the (small) noise issue is only if I use case-front headphone port - if I use the rear port (ie the mobo I/O shield output) there is no static.

xeromist
Hrmm, looks like the first link I posted has a version with a volume knob. I've never heard of or used that brand but you could read the reviews.

xeromist wrote:
Hrmm, looks like the first link I posted has a version with a volume knob. I've never heard of or used that brand but you could read the reviews.

Yeah that one looks great, just ordered it - thanks so much for your help!