cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System takes 3 times to start up from a cold boot. XI Hero

Phrawst
Level 8
Myself and another guy on reddit are both experiencing the same thing. When starting from a cold boot the motherboard basically cycles on and off 3 times before proceeding with the full boot.

We're both using G.Skill Trident ram.

Someone suggested turning off the memtest switch on the motherboard. My reddit buddy tried that and said it didn't work. I haven't tried that yet myself.

Any ideas?
Phrawst
65 REPLIES 65

cniedzi
Level 8
Hi.

After few months of working normally my Maximus XI Hero (i9 9900k, Tridentz 3866MHz) started to reboot few times on boot and finally with POST message MemoryOK shown (then I have to go into the BIOS - sometimes nothing was changed!). MemOK! switching off solves the problem but I'm not sure it is good solution... Another issue is in MODE 1 I'm able to run my RAM over 4000+ but WINRAR fails (while Karhu test pass). In MODE 2 when RAM is set to 4000+ BIOS incorrectly sets sub-timmings what results in RAM bandwith massive drops. I thing there is a general problem with Maximus XI or BIOS RAM compatibility...

If anyone from ASUS dev team is looking here I can provide any needed info or run any tests to diagnose issues, especially these two I've mentioned above (WinRAR and bandwith drops).

What I had to do to stop the double boot is go into bios and stop the OC settings. Just turned off the memory overclock which by default is set to auto. XMP is another choice there to verify you are in right place. I set mine to manual and now no more double boots. On down side no more overclock of memory either but I don't notice any difference. I am running Samsung nvme, i9 12 core, and 32 G of ram.

Adrian1976
Level 10
I had this problem with an older Asus board once it turned out to be the board itself or the PSU

BigJohnny
Level 13
Only thing that causes this is #1 its a really cold boot as in all power removed from PC as in pulling plug or switching off PSU. nshould never really need to be done unless you are doing something like setting the aura controller to default or clearing out fast boot profile. the other is a dead CMOS batter but you would have more than just the 3 boot cycle on that, everything would go back to default as well.
Its normal behavior for all boards under these circumstances. Theres a lot going on. First time it has to be told its a PC then reboot to load CMOS setting then again to finish memory training and execute boot sequence to MBR drive. If you leave power on to the board so the 5V standby is there it will only go for the normal boot to MBR as everything else is held by 5V standby.

martine-dee
Level 12
Hi there.

I am with a different board, but have observed the same issue: often the PC needed three restarts during boot to start up. This behavior was preceded by PC getting stuck on a reboot from Ubuntu (16.04). Notably, this only started in Aug 2019, when I added AE-9 (sound card) to the system. I have the PC since Sep 2017.

Something that kept the PC stable for over a month now is never restarting from Ubuntu; only power off from there. So, in a way, my experience is the opposite of what some other folks experienced -- they see this only on a cold start-up.

Maybe my system is hanging by a thread. I wouldn't know until it happens again. Reading up some of the answers, I've made the following adjustments:
- Fast Boot: Enabled -> Disabled
- Above 4G Decoding: Enabled -> Disabled (not really needed)

Hardware:
- ASUS ROG Strix X299-E Gaming
- Intel Core i7-7820X 3.6 GHz @ 4 GHz
- CMK32GX4M4A3200C16 (non-qvl) @ 3.2 GHz
Keep exploring, keep innovating, keep creating

leerickso
Level 7

same for me, i then replaced my power supply, bingo, fixed, just saying, not sure if it will help anyone but it was my solution!