cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Randomly Powers off

Kirito-Kun
Level 7
Hey Guys, I have a small problem I hope you can help me with..
My Setup:

ROG Maximus X Hero
i7 8700K
KFA² 1080 Ti HOF Edition
NZXT Kraken X62
32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws (Dual Kit)
Samsung 960 Evo
4TB WD Black

The system randomly powers off every now and then. Couldn't find any problems until now, I tried updating my BIOS, didn't work out.
There really is no special moment when it shuts down, I sometimes played CSGO for a couple of hours without any shutdowns, sometimes it just powered off twice in a row with about 20 minutes between these shutdowns. Also happened at night when I was sleeping. I really hope you can help me with that, I saw that this problem already existed on older versions of the Hero board.
14 REPLIES 14

Korth
Level 14
Is your PSU sufficient for your system? Very rough estimates: you need ~600W minimum, ~750W recommended, ~1050W overclock, ~1200W overkill.

What are your temps at (just before) shutdowns?

Is anything overclocked? If anything is overclocked, is the system stable on stress tests?

Is the system stable on factory/stock settings?

What is your specific DDR4 kit/part? And what profile/settings is it running?

Does the system ever randomly power off when you're not playing CSGO?
Is it a sudden power halt or a graceful shutdown, is any information provided in your Windows Perfmon logs?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

I have an 850W PSU. It's new like the whole system.

It is not temperature related, it was totally random. Sometimes while doing something, so temperatures to 50°C, but it was also shutting down while I was sleeping, which means while doing nothing. Really, nothing.

Nothing is overclocked, everything at default.

It's running on factory/stock settings, and is shutting down for no specific reason. Probably not stable then.

I have the 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V schwarz DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit, JEDEC Norm: PC4-25600U
Latenz (CL): CL16
RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 18
Ras Precharge Time (tRP): 18
Row Active Time (tRAS): 38
Besonderheiten: XMP 2.0 Unterstützung

Dunno if that's what you needed. It's running on default mainboard settings, no XMP activated (I think it was running on 2100)

It does randomly power off when playing CSGO, but also when just browsing, watching videos, and also while doing literally NOTHING (when I am in bed and sleeping). There's nothing specific behind it. For example, yesterday I had only one shut down, for around 10 hours. Today, I already had 3 in 10 hours.

Noticed one strange thing: The network cable is sometimes not detected when it shuts down and instantly restarts.

The only thing you can find in windows, is that the system randomly shut down without warning. Nothing else to find I think. I'll look into it again.

Raja
Level 13
Which model of graphics card are you using?

As I wrote in the first post, KFA² Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti HOF Edition.

http://www.kfa2.com/kfa2/graphics-card/halloffame/kfa2-geforcer-gtx-1080-ti-hof.html

that one, to be precise

Kirito-Kun wrote:
As I wrote in the first post, KFA² Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti HOF Edition.

http://www.kfa2.com/kfa2/graphics-card/halloffame/kfa2-geforcer-gtx-1080-ti-hof.html

that one, to be precise

Could swear that wasn't in the list before. Anyway:

This card shouldn't draw a lot of power. However, just to confirm, I would test using separate psu lines to the card's power connectors (rather than shared lines). Just wondering if the ocp is tripping. Shutdowns are usually caused by oc or a temperature issuep. Restarts can sonwtimes be due to instability.

The only other thing I can think of is whether some third party software is interfering with the super io. Are you using the NZXT software? Might want to try without it installed.

The only software I installed is the one for the graphics card, BUT I don't have it started on windows start. Only when I start it myself.

What do you mean with using seperate PSU Lines?

Can't think of any other Software.

EDIT: Just wondered, after one of the shutdowns and instant restarts windows said it's installing "NZXT USB Device". The only thing of NZXT I have in my PC is my Kraken, can't think of any place it's plugged in per USB

Raja
Level 13
1) Separate psu lines refers to each power connector having a dedicated cable back to the psu. On some psus, two connectors share the same cable. Nvidia cards don't usually draw enough power to breach the ocp of most psus, but as this is an odd situation, it doesn't hurt to rule things out. In light of the info you've just shared about not having much experience with the kraken, I'd start with number two below before you do this, though.

2) The Kraken has a usb cable that can be connected to an internal usb header on a motherboard. That's how the nzxt software communicates with the kraken. You should have access to a printed manual or some form of online/downloadable documentation that explains the basics about the product?

In any case, the kraken is configured by connecting it to the board and by using nzxt cam software. If you do have that connected, then you can try uninstalling the software and performing a cmos clear (after removing the cmos battery for 1 min, then reinstalling it).

I would also check the kraken is working correctly.

3) If it's not that, you'll need to dig deeper. Perhaps check Windows event viewer error logs to see if there's anything related to the system restarts/power off.

4) You may even want to test the board outside the chassis, in case something is shorting against the board, or if there's some kind of warp due to excessive pressure/torque.

5) There's also a chance that there is some memory instability or a faulty module. You can run RamTest or HCI Memtest, to check.

Go through the easier/more likely culprits first, and then move on to more-involved debugging.

As long as you've verified that your temps are good, it's almost certainly your power supply.

It is fully shutting down or just rebooting? If it's rebooting, you might to troubleshoot further. A full shutdown, you're overheating or have a faulty power supply.

The power instantly goes down, but system restarts afterwards.