cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STRIX-Z370-I USB Type-C port physical issue with IO shield padding

vithos
Level 7
To get a USB Type-C cable to reliably make connection I have to manually hold the connector into the port, compressing the IO shield padding. Is this port in compliance with the USB spec's keep-out-zone?

Has there been a revised version of the board or IO shield?
12 REPLIES 12

raider89
Level 7
Do you have another cable to try? Sounds like you have a worn out cable, should not have to hold any cable to get it to work properly. All ports are compliant, especially on these boards.

> Do you have another cable to try?

Yeah, same problem with 5 different Type-C connectors.

- Both ends of the Type-C to Type-C cable that came with my Pixel 2 (which connects 100% reliably with the AC adapter).
- The Type-C to Type-A adapter that also came with the phone (and works perfectly when used on the phone).
- Two other Type-C to Type-A cables I bought to work around this problem. One is AmazonBasics brand, the other is Samsung. Again, both work fine in every scenario besides trying to connect the Type-C end to this motherboard.

> Sounds like you have a worn out cable

All the above had this problem when brand new.

I am having the exact same issue with my Strix Z370-E and am wondering why no one from Asus has replied yet.

I have tried both the cable that came with my Google Pixel 2, and the official Asus USB-C dongle that came with my zenbook flip s, so there clearly is a problem.

Same here on Z370-F, Pixel 2 cable and a third party one as well.

I tried contacting ASUS customer support on this and experienced first hand how horrible their support policies actually are. Fortunately I can upgrade my tech relatively frequently so I only need to put up with this for another year at which point it's pretty safe to say I won't buy another Asus.

Sadistic_Sam
Level 7
vithos wrote:
To get a USB Type-C cable to reliably make connection I have to manually hold the connector into the port, compressing the IO shield padding. Is this port in compliance with the USB spec's keep-out-zone?

Has there been a revised version of the board or IO shield?

I have the exact same issue. I have to manually hold down the cable and if I let go, the connection is lost.

Has anyone come up with a solution yet? Can we get replacement IO shield units? Any workarounds?

I bought a USB type-C to 4 ports USB 3.0 amazon basics device, was hoping to have a few more ports since the mobo (Z370-E) came with few ports to begin with. I never dealt with USB type-C cables before and when I connected my USB hub the cable wasn't connecting right / was very loose. At first I thought maybe these cables are like that but nothing would work, after turning on the USB type-c port from the bios, it still wouldn't work, and only did work when I applied some force to inserting the cable into the port, it worked then and I heard the windows USB plug-in notification sound, but as soon as I let go, it lost connection.

Please help.

same problem here, not sure why ASUS is ignoring it's buyers and end user's. Customer service before and after the sale is very important, and once you lose a customer they wont come back imho. they need to offer a solution be it a replacement i/o panel or a cable made to plug in and extend the port to allow standard cable's to plug in. im still within my 30 day return window and i will not hesitate to just return it and buy another brand (even if i have to spend more and also buy win 10 pro again)

vithos
Level 7
I even switched cases from a Phanteks Shift to an NZXT H400i, same problem with both. Must be ASUS's dimensions that are incorrect.

I'm having the same issue with the USB Type-C port in the ASUS x570 TUF Gaming.
Was anyone able to figure out if it has something to do with the port's dimensions or something?
I tried hooking up the USB Type-A to USB-Type C connector that came with my phone to the port to see if it stayed connected and it does.