cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix Z370-F + 8700k - OS crashes and no POST due - Yellow DRAM LED

regular_user
Level 7
Hello to All,

I was wondering if you could advice something more than I have already done (except RMA of course, which is the last resort).

What is the problem:
- despite of the overclocking level and voltage feed (I tried already almost everything from manual to adaptive in range of 1,23 to 1,3V and quite low turbo multiplier ratio like x45) i am still having games or windows crashes (total freeze or the blue-screen) after which I cannot normally boot up

- the boot failure has kind of a two types symptoms: it either powers on all the hardware but monitor screen stays black, no beep and the yellow DRAM led stays on, or it is repeatedly powering on a shutting off with the yellow LED on for a second or so.

Like I mentioned before I lowered my turbo settings and increased voltage with x45 ratio to exclude OC as a cause. I also tried different auto and manuaI VCCIO andd VSSA voltages. I am using only default ram settings (no xmp, with xmp on it was way worse). I tried to loose the cooller pressure a bit (Noctua NH-15) - no luck. I swapped RAM sticks - no luck. Now I am testing with only one stick (RAM is Corsair 2x8 GB, 3000 CL15, model no.: CMK16GX4M2B3000C15, ver. 5.39).
Unfortunately have no possibility to borrow another pair to make some tests.

All above is happening even if for a whole day I culd play and use the PC with not even a single crash on settings like x48 ratio, Vcore ca. 1,24V. Then the very next day I am trying to boot up and again the same issue - no POST and yellow LED on. So I am lowering the ratio and increasing the Vcore - again, for some time I can play and use the PC and then ...again the same story.
Every single ratio/vcore setting was tested with Realbench for at least 30-60 minutes to be no error or freeze giving .
I also run Memtest (6 instances) for few hours - no errors. I am stuck...
16 REPLIES 16

Nate152
Hello regular_user

I might reset the bios to defaults (F5 key) and see how it goes from there.

regular_user
Level 7
Hi,
already done it, no change...

Nate152
Instability at default settings is not good.

Please list your complete system specs.

regular_user
Level 7
I know. Thats why I am really dissapointed. First time happened to me after 5 rigs in my life based on Asus motherboards. And the worst part is that I even do not have a clear reason to RMA (no memtest errors, no solid system behaviour).
My spec:
Asus Strix Z370F Gaming
i7 8700k
2 x 8GB RAM as mentioned in first post
1 x 512 Samsung Evo SSD
2 x 1TB 3.5 hard drives
GeForce 1070
1 x Dvd drive
530 Watts Enermax power supply

Nate152
Thank you, you have good parts but without any spare ones to test with, sometimes diagnosing the problem can be a guessing game.

It should work at default settings and minimal components, with random bsod's it could be your psu.

That would be good. What I am afraid of is that it has something to do with the particular piece of motherboard and when they test the ram in shop they will not find any problems. But I need to give it a try, not other choice since I do not have an access to another PC with DDR4 support to cross-check it.
For the moment thanks to you both, Nate and chevel, for your input.

ps. Just from pure curiosity - do you have any theories on how it is possible that for some time the stick has been able to start with the rest of the hardware and with time kind of a degradation comes in? Have you ever came across this kind of RAM behaviour? Or maybe there is something wrong with the motherboard in the end ?

You asking quite a lots from such a small power supply i would never recommend anything bellow 650 on z370 platform . I would replace this then figure out any other issue. 530w at 80% efficiency give you 424 usable watt,that's quite optimist most likely less. your video card will take 200 watt by herself,count all the rest and its easy to see your issue is originally from the power supply. If your lucky you did not damage your board with ripple in your voltage, if not you might have to rma the board.

edrickjk wrote:
... at 80% efficiency....

Hello edrickjk,
sorry but I cannot agree. How can you know this? Have you measured the particular PSU? Second of all, what are you based on when saying that gtx1070 (not TI and not overclocked) consumes 200 Watts? And could you be so kind and explain to all of us, based on electrical knowledge, what is a voltage ripple in a power supply unit and what can cause it? Then, consequentiality, even if occurred, what kind of influence would it have on voltage regulators build in the motherboard?

No electronic run at 100% of their spec, most of quality power supply these day will give between 80 and 90% efficiency. 530w is a nominal rating in a perfect use scenario , you always go with the lower percentage to give you a safety margin. Hence my 80%, considering the amount of hardware you running, i estimate you will need at least 450w min with no overclocking involved.Use a power supply calculator if you wish im sure number will be very close. Ripple will damage onboard voltage regulation on long term,mainly the capacitor.Asking to much from the power supply will prematurely damage some of the component, hence possibly damaging the board as well. You have all the symptom of a starving system,power supply would be what i try first,no matter what.