cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spectre/Meltdown bios/UEFI update system freezes

Carbonicdk
Level 8
I'm getting random a system freezes after the latest Spectre/Meltdown bios + Windows update.
As the Windows update is not known to cause freezes for Intel processors I believe this might be because of the update to the BIOS/UEFI update.

Is anyone else getting this?
It appears like once every other day.
4 REPLIES 4

Conners
Level 9
Hi, I don't have the answer your looking for and I don't think anyone will for a long time. But the behavior you experiencing from what I read is becoming the normal with the microcode updated BIOS along with varying performance hits.

Take a look at this site to maybe help you understand what's going on a little better. www.tweakhound.com

well yes, please find the below already opened thread:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98845-BIOS-0606-Freezing-games-or-when-installing-software

within you will find a link where Intel admits it is unstable: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/good-newsbad-news-in-quest-to-get-meltdown-and-spectre-patch...

personally, i'm refraining from installing it until a solid version of it will be released.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Make sure to revert to optimised defaults to rule out any overclocking instability. There will likely be some further microcode updates from Intel in the near future. As above, I would honestly wait for Intel to released a revised version. Shouldn't be any rush for enthusiasts.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
Make sure to revert to optimised defaults to rule out any overclocking instability. There will likely be some further microcode updates from Intel in the near future. As above, I would honestly wait for Intel to released a revised version. Shouldn't be any rush for enthusiasts.

That is what I did and I haven't experienced any system freezes so far.

The main issue I'm having right now is that the temps are significantly higher with this UEFI BIOS version.