cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound - New device connected

letrasenumeros
Level 9
Since I updated the BIOS (1801) and reinstalled Windows 10, I am having issues with the Sound Drivers (version 6018339_20180214R). About every hour or two, Windows freezes for about two seconds and I get the SupremeFX box (attached) notifying that there is a new device (speaker) connected.

I did the following already:
- Clean the speakers connectors;
- Utilize other speakers;
- Uninstall the sofware driver;
- Reinstall the software driver.

Thanks in advance.
62 REPLIES 62

I spoke too soon 😞 it's freezing really bad again...

letrasenumeros
Level 9
I did set the option "Turn off hard drives after x minutes" to "Never". No issues for several days.
So I dit set it to 3 minutes. The problem returned.
My next tests will be using other versions of RST.
It is worth to mention that all drivers that I am using are from Asus website.
I suspect that according the audio driver you will get a different symptom. The Asus Realtek driver will pop up the new device window, while the UAD driver will only freeze for some seconds.

letrasenumeros wrote:
I did set the option "Turn off hard drives after x minutes" to "Never". No issues for several days.
So I did set it to 3 minutes. The problem returned.
My next tests will be using other versions of RST.
It is worth to mention that all drivers that I am using are from Asus website.
I suspect that according the audio driver you will get a different symptom. The Asus Realtek driver will pop up the new device window, while the UAD driver will only freeze for some seconds.

One thing you might check is the fact you have a DVD drive installed. Win 10 has problems with seeing my drive. I just updated the firmware on the drive and it seems better, so if you have an older DVD drive, you may want to think about checking for a firmware update or disconnecting it for testing.

Also, if you have anything plugged into SATA 1. even if you aren't using the M.2_1, change it to another SATA connector if possible. I use M.2_2 so I have no connections on SATA 1, 5 or 6.

My system had been changing my 5.1 system back to Stereo and would not even let me set 5.1. I also realized the Realtek Audio UI was not even getting past the Blue display window. So I did what I always do and download the latest drivers for my system (Wi-Fi version 6.0.1.8468) from ASUS and then went offline and uninstalled the Sound device and all its drivers and the Realtek Audio App which did not reinstall. When I was finished uninstalling, it just showed HD audio In the Device Manger which is the Microsoft version so I proceeded to install the latest driver and after a reboot or two, may audio was back to normal. I did not go back online until the install was complete.

I saw some comments about using the front audio plugs, which are not for 5.1 audio... If you have the 3 plugs for the 5.1, make sure they are secure on both ends. You might try removing one for testing to see if the notices come back.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
One thing you might check is the fact you have a DVD drive installed. Win 10 has problems with seeing my drive. I just updated the firmware on the drive and it seems better, so if you have an older DVD drive, you may want to think about checking for a firmware update or disconnecting it for testing.

Also, if you have anything plugged into SATA 1. even if you aren't using the M.2_1, change it to another SATA connector if possible. I use M.2_2 so I have no connections on SATA 1, 5 or 6.

My system had been changing my 5.1 system back to Stereo and would not even let me set 5.1. I also realized the Realtek Audio UI was not even getting past the Blue display window. So I did what I always do and download the latest drivers for my system (Wi-Fi version 6.0.1.8468) from ASUS and then went offline and uninstalled the Sound device and all its drivers and the Realtek Audio App which did not reinstall. When I was finished uninstalling, it just showed HD audio In the Device Manger which is the Microsoft version so I proceeded to install the latest driver and after a reboot or two, may audio was back to normal. I did not go back online until the install was complete.

I saw some comments about using the front audio plugs, which are not for 5.1 audio... If you have the 3 plugs for the 5.1, make sure they are secure on both ends. You might try removing one for testing to see if the notices come back.

This problem started with my new SSD unit. Before installing the new drive, I updated the UEFI (version 1801). It is a fresh new Windows installation, with the latest drivers. Also tried several audio driver versions (6.0.1.8507, 6.0.1.8339 and 6.0.1.8273) and the KB4490481 update.

The interesting thing is that I still have my old drive running, with the previous Windows installation, on wich I never had this issue. And still don´t have.

letrasenumeros wrote:
This problem started with my new SSD unit. Before installing the new drive, I updated the UEFI (version 1801). It is a fresh new Windows installation, with the latest drivers. Also tried several audio driver versions (6.0.1.8507, 6.0.1.8339 and 6.0.1.8273) and the KB4490481 update.

The interesting thing is that I still have my old drive running, with the previous Windows installation, on wich I never had this issue. And still don´t have.

There were many other things mentioned in my response, but if you want to stick with the new drive, maybe get us a picture of your Disk Management window and attach.

I will tell you, I had a secondary 2.5" SSD and it kept dropping offline. It drove me crazy for months but now it seems stabilized.

It also may not be a good idea to leave another drive connected, especially during an install. I assume you can tell the difference between the two WindowsBootManagers when you boot?
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

letrasenumeros wrote:

Did you try Audio Version 6.0.1.8468 added on 2019/04/03?

letrasenumeros
Level 9
So far I tested these 2 workarounds individually for several days without getting a single freeze:
- Set the option "Turn off hard drives after x minutes" to "Never".
- Uninstall Intel RST and install the version 15.9.0.1015 2017/12/26.

Now I am going to test the RST version 16.8.0.1000 2019/01/02.

Last posted in mid April, I was still getting freezes but way less after uninstalling Intel RST. I stopped my HDD's from turning off after a certain time and it was looking good but when I came on the next day it started again. I was wounded as I thought I had finally fixed the problem. Turns out for some reason the power plan had gone back to an old AS Rock plan I had from my previous motherboard. I deleted that to stop it happening and changed it to high performance so the HDD never turns off. It's been weeks now and no sign of any freezes or notifications from Dolby.

Thanks for the help all.

The freezes have gone and system seems stable again.

There was some issues with Windows RS 5 (build 1809) when you have a Samsung NVME drive and a Samsung SSD and using the Samsung 3.0 NVME driver, especially when waking from sleep.
Samsung released a new 3.1 driver that fixes the issue.

I completely uninstalled Intel RST. I updated BIOS from 1704 to 1801. I disconnected my Samsung 850 Evo. Also removed my RAM and re-seated it. Then installed the new Samsung 3.1 NVME driver.

It's been several days with zero freezes/crashes, including hours-long gaming sessions of Apex Legends and Witcher 3.

letrasenumeros
Level 9
CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM: Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) Driver.

SOLUTION: Use an older version of the Intel RST Driver, Version 15.9.0.1015 (2017/12/26).

I used it for several days and the Windows was stable. On the first minuts that I tried another more recent version, the freezes returned.

By the way, I am altready using the Samsung NVME Driver version 3.1.