cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound coming out of wrong device/not playing (2 sound outputs)

empleat
Level 10
I Am on Windows 10 64 bit 21H2, build 19044.1706. I have installed sound drivers and have realtek audio console. It was working fine weeks, but all of the sudden I started having issues:

I have 2 audio sources, speakers in the back and headphones connected to front panel. Headphones are now selected as default playback device and also selected under sound icon on the taskbar. Yet in some applications sound randomly plays from speakers. Or sound doesn't play from headphones at all, even if they are selected and only PC restart solved that, or sometimes unplugging and plugging in headphones!

Issue started happening completely randomly!

Even if I have only one sound source on, it is randomly not working in some apps... And restarting apps doesn't help!
17 REPLIES 17

Nate152
While both will work try using Asussetup, this may be what installs Sonic Studio 3.

Does Sonic Studio 3 install using Asussetup?

empleat
Level 10
I will try next time if needed, I now had problem that 2 devices are being recognized as one and couldn't solve it by reinstallting to driver what I had and clicking separate input in realtek audio panel and restarting pc even and reconnecting all devices... I Am just glad it is recognized as two now! And the bug is also not happening today so I Am fine! I installed only realtek drivers because stuttering in a game! But for now I don't want to install them back, because I have headaches and have enough. But I will try to install asussetup, if issue reccurs, thanks for help!

Nate152
You're welcome,

Before updating/installing the Realtek audio driver, be sure to uninstall the current Realtek audio driver first.

I am trying to think it a different way. if you don't find it is a driver issue... it could be your headphone jack as dust in it or something. or... i found if my keyboard wire rubs against the top port on the front of my case, it will activate it.

could try blowing some air in there with a canister.

if it is the headphone jack, and you can't resolve it with the air duster... you could check your audio settings. i don't about others, but i have Realtek and it has a console/manager app. go in there and you should find one or two settings. 1 setting is for notifications, check the other setting. the other setting is for jack detection. disable jack detection.

only bad thing about this, it will detect headphones as always plugged in. so when you plug your headphones in, it won't automatically switch to it.

empleat
Level 10
To answer previous post: if with default MS drivers it works fine? No, it is some bug!

I tried these drivers as from mokichu recommendation and same problem: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?117596-DRIVERS-Realtek-Audio-(MB-Intel-2xx-3xx-4xx-5xx-6xx...

I installed these drivers + sonic studio 3 using exact procedure i do it all the time. There were no left overs in driver strore explorer! And again speakers are not detected, instead under Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio) are playing headphones! I had previously 2 entries headphones and this... Now only this...

cuke2u
Level 8
The drivers Nate152 recommend I've always had complete success with, uninstall the ones you have first then reboot the computer and allow win10 to setup the device first, it should do this. Then install these https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/01AUDIO/DRV_Audio_RTK_UWD_SS3_TP_W11_64_V6093591_20220616R.zip
Asus Strix Z390-F, Intel i9 9900k, 32gb Team Group Night Hawk RGB, Corsair ML120 Pro RGB Premium AIO, be quiet! Straight Power 11 650W, AMD Vega 56, Lian Li Alpha 500X RGB, Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe

empleat
Level 10
Hmm, firstly I don't have Windows 11 and I didn't find this drivers even under Audio drivers for my motherboard (after I clicked expand): https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z390-i-gaming-model/helpdesk_download Besides I already tried like 5 drivers, I don't think this is gonna solve anything!

To expand on this issue: if I connect only speakers (rear jack) sound plays under Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio), but then I connected headphones from front jack and speakers stop playing, and headphones start! I have only this audio output. Previously I had Speakers and Headphones without me doing anything! There is also some Virtual mixer in sound tab, but I don't think that's it, besides if I select it nothing plays anyways... Also nothing in Sonic Studio 3 that would fix this...

Previously I had to select separate front and read jack into 2 audio streams, but even that stopped working I think. Besides I have nothing useful in Sonic Studio 3 now! And in Windows sound there is also only 1 audio source...

EDIT: hmmm I put back drivers (which I had installed) and it works for now, but these are same drivers with the issue started to happen in the first place! I also deleted (I had many grey speakers/headphones in device manager) but I doubt it is related!

cuke2u
Level 8
Media player classic, why are you still using that and not more less obsolete players?
Asus Strix Z390-F, Intel i9 9900k, 32gb Team Group Night Hawk RGB, Corsair ML120 Pro RGB Premium AIO, be quiet! Straight Power 11 650W, AMD Vega 56, Lian Li Alpha 500X RGB, Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe