cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound coming out of wrong device/not playing (2 sound outputs)

empleat
Level 10
I Am on Windows 10 64 bit 21H2, build 19044.1706. I have installed sound drivers and have realtek audio console. It was working fine weeks, but all of the sudden I started having issues:

I have 2 audio sources, speakers in the back and headphones connected to front panel. Headphones are now selected as default playback device and also selected under sound icon on the taskbar. Yet in some applications sound randomly plays from speakers. Or sound doesn't play from headphones at all, even if they are selected and only PC restart solved that, or sometimes unplugging and plugging in headphones!

Issue started happening completely randomly!

Even if I have only one sound source on, it is randomly not working in some apps... And restarting apps doesn't help!
17 REPLIES 17

Nate152
Hi empleat

I imagine you're using Sonic Studio 3, have you tried the device routing feature?

empleat
Level 10
I am not using sonic studio 3, nor I know what that is. My motherboard model: I forgot ASUS z390-i gaming.

Nate152
Thank you,

Looking in the ASUS Support Center for your motherboard, I see the Realtek audio driver with Sonic Studio 3 is listed for windows 10.

Try uninstalling the Realtek audio console and install the Realtek audio driver with Sonic Studio 3.

Select Windows 10, under Audio select the first download, Realtek audio driver version 6.0.9088.1

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z390-i-gaming-model/helpdesk_download

Once installed try the device routing feature in Sonic Studio 3.

Uninstall Sonic Radar if it installs with it.

empleat
Level 10
Sonic Studio 3 is not installed if I install these drivers tho!

It never was, if anything realtek audio console automatically was installed from store in past!

It is confusing, this is my motherboard: https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z390-i-gaming-model/

Reinstalling drivers didn't help!

Nate152
Sonic Studio 3 should install with the Realtek audio driver.

If Sonic Studio 3 didn't install, go down to the third download under Audio.

I'd like you to try the device routing feature in Sonic Studio 3 for your apps.

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z390-i-gaming-model/helpdesk_download

empleat
Level 10
What the hell, even from link you provided - there is no third download under audio and audio itself is being fourth!

Besides picture you showing, I have different date!

EDIT: oh I Am blind there is show all - I never noticed that 😄

empleat
Level 10
Strangeeeee... I installed third from top: DRV_Audio_Realtek_UWD_SONICSTUDIO_III_TP_W10_64_VER6018591 and there is still no sonic studio!!! It is not in start menu, not in apps, not in programs and features and not in store. I find sonicstudio folder on disk in location: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\NhNotifSys\sonicstudio but if I click on exe: asusns.exe - nothing opens...

And the issue still happens 😕

EDIT: Strange this is running audio troubleshooter fixes the problem, but only once, I have to run it again when it happens awwwwwwwwwww....

Nate152
When installing the Realtek audio driver, it should create a deskotp icon for Sonic Studio 3 and ask you to restart once installed.

Since Sonic Studio 3 didn't install, uninstall the Realtek audio driver and try version 6.0.9088.1, it's the first download under Audio.

empleat
Level 10
These drivers also do not contain sonic studio 😕 There was no additional popout - nothing!

There are 2 setup files tho which is confusing: asussetup.exe, setup.exe.

EDIT: I maybe find the cause, as I launched MPC my sound went off in browser and after changing MPC's sound renderer and restarting browser it was back on. I started using Internal Audio Renderer, because I read it is WASAPI. I have trouble with understanding sometimes so I wanted better quality and it seems little bit better. Anyway it seems to the culprit. Did you hear about anything similar? Why on the earth changing MPC audio renderer would cause this behavior?