cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleep mode causes unexpected shutdown

URASucKaFisH
Level 7
Hello,

I am hoping that somebody has experienced this before, but I recently built a new PC with a Maximus XI Code/9700K/Samsung 970 Evo and I have a very odd issue when Windows 10 tries to sleep. Basically every third time or so it tries to sleep it throws a kernel panic and has an unexpected shutdown. The memory dump it creates only points to an issue with hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe. These seem to relate to how Windows communicates with the underlying hardware, so really there isn't much to go off of.

For troubleshooting, I have tested my RAM with memtest and it came back clean. I have completely reloaded Windows, only for the problem to come back again after reinstalling everything. The Event Viewer lists nothing before it happens as well. Needless to say it is a very odd issue that I can't put my finger on. I have also updated to the most recent XI Code BIOS that was released on the 31st, which made no difference.

Anybody have any ideas as to what can cause this on a brand new build with a freshly installed Windows 10?

Thank you
4 REPLIES 4

HiVizMan
Level 40
Quick question, you using a fresh OS for this hardware, or an old OS?

Sleep or rather waking from the sleep state is a pretty stressful process for any OS and I wonder if there are conflicts because of the change of chipset? Assuming of course it is not a fresh OS install.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Quick question, you using a fresh OS for this hardware, or an old OS?

Sleep or rather waking from the sleep state is a pretty stressful process for any OS and I wonder if there are conflicts because of the change of chipset? Assuming of course it is not a fresh OS install.

Yeah, fresh install of Windows 10. Actually, I have even reloaded twice but the problem comes back after reinstalling everything like drivers and the software for the hardware components. With that being said, it does seem to point to an issue with drivers and/or the software that installs with the drivers, but I have tried singling them out with no luck.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yeah that is good reasoning. I tend to fist look at the VGA drivers as nVid particularly has been buggy as hell lately.

See if using an older know to work perfectly with Win10 VGA driver helps mate.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Yeah that is good reasoning. I tend to fist look at the VGA drivers as nVid particularly has been buggy as hell lately.

See if using an older know to work perfectly with Win10 VGA driver helps mate.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will give it a shot tonight. I am using a new EVGA 2080 Ti so it very well could be drivers related to that.