cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I install Intel VGA drivers even when I have Nvidia GPU?

Mountainlifter
Level 10
The reason I am asking this is as follows.

The Problem: When I move the windows of some applications such as MSI afterburner and Argus monitor, they clearly stutter as they move.

To describe the problem clearly, when I click on the application window and move it from left to right, these applications freeze for a split second and then jump to the updated position. This is like FPS drops in games except it is happening on the desktop when moving windows.

Here is a video of it. https://imgur.com/ViPx6nc

Attempted Solutions:
1. Reinstalled Windows. Installed all drivers. Didn't install Asus Armory crate.
2. Tried different mice. My main mouse is the Logitech G703. It used to produce stutters when the wireless USB dongle didn't have line of sight to the mouse. But for the tests above, I am using it in wired mode. Tried changing polling rate of the mice.
3. Noticed that applications that use "GPU 0 - 3D" under GPU engine in Task Manager do not have this stuttering issue. These application include Chrome, MS office, Spotify and even Desktop Window Manager.
4. Does not affect any games at all. Only desktop use.

So, I was thinking that maybe some applications use the CPU only to render which causes stuttering when there is too much info to draw. SO, I thought about whether using the iGPU drivers might fix such an issue.

I wanted to make sure before trying it because I know Intel and Nvidia driver conflicts are possible causing new problems while gaming.

EDIT: I am on the 10900K with Asus Strix Z490-I and Asus strix OC 1080Ti.
8 REPLIES 8

howxcore
Level 10
Mountainlifter wrote:
The reason I am asking this is as follows.

The Problem: When I move the windows of some applications such as MSI afterburner and Argus monitor, they clearly stutter as they move.

To describe the problem clearly, when I click on the application window and move it from left to right, these applications freeze for a split second and then jump to the updated position. This is like FPS drops in games except it is happening on the desktop when moving windows.

Here is a video of it. https://imgur.com/ViPx6nc

Attempted Solutions:
1. Reinstalled Windows. Installed all drivers. Didn't install Asus Armory crate.
2. Tried different mice. My main mouse is the Logitech G703. It used to produce stutters when the wireless USB dongle didn't have line of sight to the mouse. But for the tests above, I am using it in wired mode. Tried changing polling rate of the mice.
3. Noticed that applications that use "GPU 0 - 3D" under GPU engine in Task Manager do not have this stuttering issue. These application include Chrome, MS office, Spotify and even Desktop Window Manager.
4. Does not affect any games at all. Only desktop use.

So, I was thinking that maybe some applications use the CPU only to render which causes stuttering when there is too much info to draw. SO, I thought about whether using the iGPU drivers might fix such an issue.

I wanted to make sure before trying it because I know Intel and Nvidia driver conflicts are possible causing new problems while gaming.

EDIT: I am on the 10900K with Asus Strix Z490-I and Asus strix OC 1080Ti.

Remove intel drivers and nvidia drivers, use DDU in safe mode to uninstall and wipe both, reinstall Nvidia drivers, no need to have intel drivers alongside nvidia drivers, which will more than likely cause issues like the one you explained, best of luck -

howxcore
Level 10
Also , disabling the intel gpu in UEFI bios is recommended.

Mountainlifter
Level 10
Thanks for the suggestion. THen I won't install Intel drivers in an attempt to fix this stuttering.

I just disabled the intel GPU in the BIOS ( chose PEG instead of AUTO in the system agent configuration menu). I hope that is the correct setting to change.

Mountainlifter
Level 10
Looks like I was barking up the nonexistent tree all along.

I asked a friend to test out the same apps. https://imgur.com/iFpRUh6 And it turns out these monitoring apps (MSI afterburner, argus monitor, hwinfo) all stutter a bit when clicked on and dragged.

Issue resolved.

Mountainlifter wrote:

I asked a friend to test out the same apps. https://imgur.com/iFpRUh6 And it turns out these monitoring apps (MSI afterburner, argus monitor, hwinfo) all stutter a bit when clicked on and dragged.

Issue resolved.

LoL as per that video that really is nothing to worry much about, as yes.. some of them do stutter a bit when clicked and dragged...i dont see much of it though on my 165hz montor, its more prevelant on my secondary 60hz monitor... as long as your apps, games and etc run properly i wouldnt pay to much mind to it. :p:cool:

I'm not able to install the VGA drivers on a Z490-E with a 10th gen Intel processor. But based on the advice in this thread, looks like I don't need to since I'm using an Nvidia GPU. I may use the on-board graphics later for an additional monitor, so I guess I can cross that bridge when it comes.

Mountainlifter wrote:

Issue resolved.

A Video Graphics Array Driver or VGA driver is a software application that facilitates the communication between a hardware device or peripheral device and the operating system. The Video Graphics Array (VGA) is common device used to transfer data between the operating system and the peripherals such as video cards, computer monitors, and High Definition Television. Its single-chip implementation allows the device to be installed directly onto the motherboard. VGA Drivers translate the language of the VGA to the operating system and transfer the data or commands to the peripheral.

The Video Graphics Array is a graphical standard introduced by IBM and was adopted by a majority of the PC original equipment manufacturers. The VGA color system consists of 256 various colors Gacha life. It is backwards compatible with Enhanced Graphics Adapter (EGA) and Color Graphics Adapter (CGA), which offer a color palette of 64 and 16 colors, respectively. The Video Graphics Array also possesses 256 KB Video RAM and refresh rates of up to 70 kHz.

The VGA adapter is a 15 pin, three row connecting device that comes in four versions: 15 VGA pin out connector, DDC2 pin out, DE-9 pin out, and the Mini-VGA used for laptop computers. The connectors only support analog data transfer from the VGA to the peripheral.

Saltgrass
Level 13
Beside that, on some systems when a Discreet GPU is installed the Intel GPU is disabled automatically.

And I am always wary of the OEM type utilities when problems are popping up.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200