cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX Z490-I GAMING cannot boot with 32GB x 2 RAM modules.

Zhiyuan_Lin
Level 7
Hello ROG forum, I just bought a ROG STRIX Z490-I GAMING motherboard recently,
however I have encountered issues with the PC not able to boot with two 32GB RAM installed.

I have tested installing only one on each slot, and have confirm that both RAM modules and RAM slot can function normally,
however the computer will simply not boot when there are two RAM installed.

The BIOS setting is factory default and I have changed different CPU and RAM modules to test, the problem persists.
I have contacted ASUS support, they suggested me to send the motherboard for repair, but since two RAM slot functions normally when only one of them is used,
I suspect this can be fixed with a BIOS update. Don't know if anyone else have the same problems.
Its either ASUS shipped a faulty hardware or firmware.
If its a firmware problem, I don't want to send the motherboard to replacement and wait maybe a few weeks and end up with exact the same issues with the new one.

CPU tested: Intel i5-10400 and Intel i9-10900
RAM modules tested: G.Skill F4-3600C18D-64GVK(not QVL certified), Corsair CMK64GX4M2D3600C18(QVL Certified)
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64bits Build 19041.264
BIOS version: Version 0504

Thank you!
12 REPLIES 12

I have the same problem on my ROG Maximus hero Z490 using 10900K
The rams I'm using are F4-3600C16Q-64GTZR 16GBx4 G.Skill TridentZ
I also updated the bios without any success I cant run XMP no matter what I do I can only set manual and run them at 3000Mhz anything makes them unstable.

Snaptrap
Level 10
My POS ROG SUX Z490-I booted but would always give a VGA error. $400 piece of trash.

EXILE157
Level 7
Can anyone here help with my situation?.. I've no luck trying to find a post about the (ROG Strix Z490-G)

I've had nothing but issues from the start with this board and manage to make it work after hours upon hours for 2 days!...

Now here's my situation : I have 64GB of Corsair Vengeance RGB, but For some odd reason DIMM Slot 1 is not allowing me to run the PC, I get that Yellow indicator on the board "Memory Issue" at first I thought it was the memory stick gone bad, but this only happens when I set it on (Slot 1) ??.. I have switched the memories around and its the same problem on (DIMM Slot 1) ? - I'm not even running XMP.

- I run 1 Stick on Slot 2 - No problem.
- I run 2 Sticks on Slot 2,4 - No problem.
- I run 3 Sticks on Slot 2,3 and 4 - No problem.

- Slot 1 is the problem...

I cant even update to the latest BIOS v0607 I went through the again the ridiculous steps:
ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING BIOS 0607
"1.Improve system performance and stability 2.Improve compatibility with the Intel H10 Optane Module 3.Enhance AI Cooling mechanism
Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (SZ490G.CAP) using BIOSRenamer."

I run the "BIOSRenamer" I see (SZ490G.CAP) so I copy the CAP file into the root (USB FAT32) go into BIOS - Tool - "EZ Flash 3" I get a message saying SZ490G.CAP is not the proper BIOS?????...So then I go the old way at the back of the Board hit the Flash Button hold it for 3 seconds and nothing happens??... No LED indicator, because it's not doing anything...

I believe I have to RMA this board, but with this COVID-19 and Asus low staff that's like on the extreme level! It won't be a smooth transaction, I could be waiting for 2-3 weeks up to a Month for RMA - That's why I'm here on the forum looking for answer before taking action.
*Lian Li PC-011D (Black) *i9-10900K *ROG Strix Z490-G *Nzxt Kraken Z63/Corsair QL Series *Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 *Corsair HX1200i *EVGA GeForce GTX 3080 Ultra FTW3 *Samsung 970 Evo M.2 1TB *Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB *Samsung 840 Evo Series 1TB SSD *Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ *Corsair K70 RGB *Corsair Dark Core *Corsair Gaming MM800 *Corsair ST100 *Razer Nari Ultimate.