I couldnt find a forum section for Z490 Strix, so I am posting here.
I am considering the ROG STRIX Z490-H GAMING with an i7-10700 CPU for an upcoming build. I have some questions about the m.2 slots.
This mobo comes with two M.2 slots. 1X - M.2_1 socket 3 (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode), and 1X - M.2_2 socket 3 (PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode).
1) What is the difference between the two sockets and recommended usages?
2) What is the typical recommended configuration using one or both sockets? Would I install the O/S on the SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode socket, and games on the PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode socket?
3) Any issues using M.2? Is O/S installation painless?
4) Memory speeds are dependent on the strength of the IMC. Dominator Platinum 2400mhz memory (tried Kingston and G-Skill as well) under my i7-3930K will not post higher than 2320mhz due to weak IMC. Has anyone run into this issue with the i7-10700. I want to use 4000mhz or higher memory if possible. No point in buying faster RAM if IMC cant run it.
5) Lastly, does this mobo overclock decent? I want a good mobo for overclocking CPU/memory, but dont want to break the bank. This PC will be primarily a gaming machine for my son. Will be sliding a RTX 3080 into it once they actually become available and the bugs shaken out of them (so much for that launch nvidia!). Until then, his GTX 1070 will be crunching pixels.