cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog Strix Z370-E vs MAXIMUS X HERO Audio

Jozh89
Level 9
Seeing which of the 2 boards I want.

The thing pushing be towards the Hero is the possibility of better audio.
Though im not sure if i would benifit form it as from what I can read, is the DAC only works when pluging headphones into the front port. Where I always keep mine plugged into the back.

HERO:
ROG's awesome SupremeFX audio technology has levelled up, delivering an exceptional 113dB signal-to-noise ratio on the line-in connection — and that means our best-ever recording quality! We've also added a low-dropout regulator for cleaner power delivery to the SupremeFX S1220 codec, an ESS® Sabre Hi-Fi ES9023P digital-to-analog converter for superior front-panel output, and a Texas Instruments® RC4850 op-amp for high gain with low distortion — which all adds up to audio that envelops you as never before.

other thing that confuses me, it says it has ES9023P then later down it says it has the SABRE9018Q2C
15 REPLIES 15

Raja
Level 13
Hero has the ES9023P. If you're not using the front ports, the difference should be negligible.

alirezaaapi
Level 7
Jozh89 wrote:
Seeing which of the 2 boards I want.

The thing pushing be towards the Hero is the possibility of better audio.
Though im not sure if i would benifit form it as from what I can read, is the DAC only works when pluging headphones into the front port. Where I always keep mine plugged into the back.

HERO:
ROG's awesome SupremeFX audio technology has levelled up, delivering an exceptional 113dB signal-to-noise ratio on the line-in connection — and that means our best-ever recording quality! We've also added a low-dropout regulator for cleaner power delivery to the SupremeFX S1220 codec, an ESS® Sabre Hi-Fi ES9023P digital-to-analog converter for superior front-panel output, and a Texas Instruments® RC4850 op-amp for high gain with low distortion — which all adds up to audio that envelops you as never before.

other thing that confuses me, it says it has ES9023P then later down it says it has the SABRE9018Q2C

I use the Viii Hero ! no difference in sound Compared to B250 Bazooka of msi !!!
Viii Hero،Ix Hero,X Hero There is no difference.
Anyway, it has a normal sound.

Crysto
Level 7
Having come from using a Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card, I tried the onboard audio on the Hero X and have noticed no difference in quality, however the range of volume is greatly reduced. I can turn the onboard audio to 100% and it's still perfectly comfortable, with around 60% being a 'normal' level, and the equivalent of 20% on my sound card. Unless there is a way to increase the range of volume I expect I'll switch back to using the sound card.

I haven't tried using any ports other than 'line out' (green) on the back panel, and am using Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm headphones.
Would be great to find a way to increase the range of volume.

Raja
Level 13
The front panel output is the one that gets the externally buffered headphone amp.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
The front panel output is the one that gets the externally buffered headphone amp.

So the volume level will be much higher on that? Unfortunately I don't have front panel audio on a CaseLabs SM8, so that isn't particularly helpful... 😞

Raja
Level 13
Not sure of the exact gain, but that side is externally buffered.

Crysto
Level 7
I purchased a bay device with HD audio to test the gain on the front panel audio, and I can notice no improvement to the range of volume. Unless I'm missing something the audio solution on the Hero X isn't powerful enough to drive 80 ohm headphones to a desirable volume level.
While I get the subjectiveness of the question, can you comment Raja on whether it should be able to drive my headphones to a level which would be uncomfortable? Is there a setting somewhere (Sonic Studio?) I may be missing?

Raja
Level 13
Try manually changing the impedance to a higher value.

Crysto
Level 7
Where is this setting located? The only setting I have found (in the Sonic Studio III software) which has an effect is 'Smart Volume', and that isn't a real fix as it makes even music sound quite different to without the setting enabled.