cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG MAXIMUS X HERO BIOS VER 1101 Feedback Thread

mr_allroy
Level 9
I just noticed this is on the ASUS US website. Has anyone tried it yet? I'm not feeling like being a guinea pig as "bios flashback" does not seem to work.

Anyways, let's keep this friendly and post our experiences with it.
63 REPLIES 63

izakaya wrote:
(FYI) These are the versions and dates for the Maximus X Hero (Wifi) edition.

So there's no real reason to upgrade from 1003 to 1101 then?

I think most customers understand that Intel is trying to mitigate/fix things from their end, but how much of performance penalty are (some) customers supposed to accept?
I know that we aren't exactly forced to update our BIOS, it's just that each time there's a BIOS update for the Maximus X Hero and the Maximus X Hero (Wifi), we read that some seem to have suffered a performance penalty in one of several areas. A few here even seem to have updated several times, reporting a performance penalty after each new version.

I, myself, noticed that my NVMe suffered a 5%(?) speed loss after upgrading from 0401, I think is was, to 1003. It's not an issue at all for someone like myself, though, seeing as I'm only using max. ~50% of my hardware's capacity while under "load", at the moment. That, however, is not to say that I, or anyone else for that matter, appreciate hardware running/working at less capacity than was advertised. We've all paid good money for the specific parts and speeds, whether we use their full potential or not.

Is it fairly probable that the upcoming BIOS update will reduce performance even further (at least for some)?
When would enough be enough?
How realistic is it to actually be infected/affected/targeted by Spectre and Meltdown at the moment? (isn't there a phase requiring physical access to hardware?)

I'm not complaining, merely wanting to learn more about this topic and what people's thoughts on this are 🙂

There are always improvements in latest Bios versions. I really don't see your point by saying no reson to update BIOS.

emsir wrote:
There are always improvements in latest Bios versions. I really don't see your point by saying no reson to update BIOS.

added new bios feature - any one know what it is ?
improved system performance

have they fixed any of the fan and step down periods ?
did they fix the front panel audio popping ?
did they fix the 25 5 un balanced sound on x hero wifi ?

anyone know whats different from bios 1003 ?
Rig # 1 - 14900K SP-115 | 87 MC @ 6.0 GHZ | 5.1 R | 4.5 E | DDR5 48GB @ 8,400 c36 | Strix RTX 4090 | XG27AQN 1440P 27" 360 Hz G-Sync ULMB 2

Rig # 2 - 13900KS-SP-120 | 80 MC @ 5.8 GHZ | 5.0 R | 4.5 E | DDR4 32GB @ 4,300 c15 | Strix RTX 3080 | Aoc 1080P 25" 240 Hz G-Sync

We pay a lot of money for these motherboards, I think a proper changelog wouldn't go amiss. The description provided is severely lacking in any useful detail.

Improve system performance how?
What new BIOS feature is that then?
What bug fix is that?

Version 1101
2018/03/238.29 MBytes
ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) BIOS 1101
1.Improve system performance
2.Add new BIOS feature
3.Bug fix

emsir wrote:

Hey, Emsir!

If you're referring to my: "So there's no real reason to upgrade from 1003 to 1101 then?", then I think you might have missed the question mark I had at the end there. I didn't say that there is no reason to update, I was simply asking people in general, based on a few comments I had read prior to my post.
Perhaps I could have been clearer, in that case I apologise 🙂

(Reply to both "bass junkie xl" and "TonyRoma")

I don't know how often a new BIOS version in the past has been released without more info than what has been provided in this case, but it sure seems a bit odd 😕
Hopefully we'll get some clarification from Raja soon

I updated today, is there anyway to flash back to the previous 1003 version just by flashing it normally or does it not allow you to flash an older (out dated) bios without using the bios button on the back of the motherboard?

ritchiedrama wrote:
I updated today, is there anyway to flash back to the previous 1003 version just by flashing it normally or does it not allow you to flash an older (out dated) bios without using the bios button on the back of the motherboard?

hey man i was on bios 1003 and went back to bios 803 via usb stick unpacked .rar to usb opned up bios and did it that way no issues . im on vbios 1003 now and whatss your reason for wanting to bail from new bios ? as i might not update to lastest ?
Rig # 1 - 14900K SP-115 | 87 MC @ 6.0 GHZ | 5.1 R | 4.5 E | DDR5 48GB @ 8,400 c36 | Strix RTX 4090 | XG27AQN 1440P 27" 360 Hz G-Sync ULMB 2

Rig # 2 - 13900KS-SP-120 | 80 MC @ 5.8 GHZ | 5.0 R | 4.5 E | DDR4 32GB @ 4,300 c15 | Strix RTX 3080 | Aoc 1080P 25" 240 Hz G-Sync

bass junkie xl wrote:
hey man i was on bios 1003 and went back to bios 803 via usb stick unpacked .rar to usb opned up bios and did it that way no issues . im on vbios 1003 now and whatss your reason for wanting to bail from new bios ? as i might not update to lastest ?

So you just did it as if it was flashing the bios to update normally?

Uhm well, I redid my oc and during a cinebench run I got a blue screen (first ever) with the same settings and I've ran cinebench probably 500+ times in the last few months and never had a blue screen with these settings.

But it has been fine all day since then and I reset bios and redid settings so may have been a freak issue. But wanted to see if I could revert in the event i get anymore issues.

ritchiedrama wrote:
So you just did it as if it was flashing the bios to update normally?

Uhm well, I redid my oc and during a cinebench run I got a blue screen (first ever) with the same settings and I've ran cinebench probably 500+ times in the last few months and never had a blue screen with these settings.

But it has been fine all day since then and I reset bios and redid settings so may have been a freak issue. But wanted to see if I could revert in the event i get anymore issues.

well i ran asus realbench for full 8 hrs no issues

8700k manaul 5 ghz 1.36v no avx offset
16gb g.skill rgb 3000 cl 14 @ manaul 4000 cl 18 1.4v

bios 1003 now .

ill flash the latest today and report back if i get any bsods . on latest bios .

have you checked your hardware monitor 64 @ the very bootom of it checking for whea errors as well as event viewer for wheas ?

KeksimusMaximus
Level 8
Anybody uses NVMe SSD (Samsung EVO 960) and went to bios 1101?

I just noticed massive write speed/IOPS performance loss, like 4 times drop. From previous 1800MB/s now i barely get 500MB/s. The random IOPS dropped from 200,000 to... 20,000. Tested both with Samsung Magician and Cristal Disk Mark.

And yes, its running on Samsung drivers and M2 is set to PCIE 3 x4.
Dargus Maximus
~Explorer ~Engineer ~Guide
My Youtube channel - PC modding, streaming, gaming