Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG MAXIMUS X HERO bios 2301

reupens
Level 7
There's a new BIOS version 2301 available for both non-WiFi and WiFi models:

*Improved system performance
*Update CPU microcode for security issue.

The new microcode version is CC (previously was B4).

I updated and my Asus 10GbE networking PCIe card seems to have stopped working... Not sure why yet.
7 REPLIES 7

pinkfloyd1173
Level 11
In my opinion, if it is not broken, dont fix it.

Wifi hero X1 is stable with the previous fw, dont see a need to upgrade if it is working 100%
ROG STRIX Z790-E GAMING WIFI II Bios 1002: Intel i7 14900k: CORSAIR DOMINATOR TITANIUM RGB 64GB 6600MHz DDR5: : ASUS ROG STRIX PG38UQ: ROG Strix 4090 OC :2 M.2 990 PRO 2 TB: CORSAIR - AIO CORSAIR LINK H170I LCD : Corsair HX1500I: Corsair 7000D airflow Case: Windows 11 Pro

Baddster
Level 7
Has anyone else installed this bios and tested? Worth doing?

reupens
Level 7
My PCIe card problem was just because one of the PCIe slots is disabled when the M.2 slot is in x4 mode. So, nothing to worry about.

Doko15
Level 7
delete post.

DominZ
Level 7
I can confirm that latest 2301 BIOS is performing noticeably worse than previous 2203. I didn't follow the rule "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and it cost me over 2 hours of troubleshooting, restoring settings and a BSOD in the middle of a game session. Right after upgrading to 2301 I replicated my settings from previous version by copying everything 1:1 using screenshots taken right before upgrading. That means there is literally no difference other than the upgrade itself. My system is equipped with Core i9-9900K cooled by Noctua NH-D15 so there is no hardware bottleneck whatsoever. What's wrong with the latest BIOS version?

1. CPU power draw under synthetic AVX load has gone up by 7-10% (10-15W) with the same frequency - 4.8 GHz across all cores with AVX offset at "0". On 2203 and earlier I was using CPU Vcore offset -0.020v, after upgrading I couldn't make my system fully stable until I set Vcore offset to +0.020. That adjustment changed VID voltage (highest value) from 1.215v to 1.219v with occasional spikes to 1.221v. If I set the voltage any lower than that, I was getting random BSODs (including the one I had during gameplay).
2. Cinebench R20 multi-core score has dropped by 100 points (from 5080 to ~4980). Combine that with my previous point about higher power draw at the same clocks and it looks really disappointing. I've ran multiple tests on 2301 with consistent results, then downgraded to 2203, restored BIOS settings from file (luckily I had backups) and then reran the same test many times to confirm my statement (with positive result).

So if you are running on 2203, don't upgrade unless you have some unresolved issues which may get fixed in the latest release. But if everything works fine, don't touch it! You can only make things worse, just like I did. And at the end of the day, I reverted back to 2203 and promised myself to not touch it unless it is really necessary.
Hope it was helpful!

Threat
Level 7
So I was considering updating my BIOS. I've been getting MEMORY MANAGEMENT BSOD's (and one KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED) periodically, usually twice a month average, was none at the end of last year, and had none in Jan and March. I'm still on 1401 though, so I wanted to ask anyone here what their experiences are in versions 1401 and up. As I saw above someone preferred 2203 over the latest 2301.

I run an I7-8700K with 16GB ram (upgrading to 32 this weekend in case memory was going bad because of the "memory management". Not using OC either, so not sure why I'm having any issues.

Let me know if you need any more info. I stream on twitch, do art and play games. Have had a few BSOD's happen during games, but also while doing nothing, with minimal running. Ran scans on multiple things, everything passes and nothing comes up.

I would also like to prevent having to format or reinstall anything other than just the BIOS, lol...

Thanks for your help.

Threat
Level 7
So I was considering updating my BIOS. I've been getting MEMORY MANAGEMENT BSOD's (and one KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED) periodically, usually twice a month average, was none at the end of last year, and had none in Jan and March. I'm still on 1401 though, so I wanted to ask anyone here what their experiences are in versions 1401 and up. As I saw above someone preferred 2203 over the latest 2301.

I run an I7-8700K with 16GB ram (upgrading to 32 this weekend in case memory was going bad because of the "memory management". Not using OC either, so not sure why I'm having any issues.

Let me know if you need any more info. I stream on twitch, do art and play games. Have had a few BSOD's happen during games, but also while doing nothing, with minimal running. Ran scans on multiple things, everything passes and nothing comes up

Thanks for your help. I would also like to prevent from having to format and reinstall anything in advance other than just the BIOS, lol.