cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Maximus X Formula and Microsoft Natural Keyboard 4000

leader_desslock
Level 7
Hi

Every time i change a setting in the BIOS 1602/1704, i cannot boot into Windows. I get stuck at a screen imploring me to push F1. Pushing F1 or Del does not work. I can only press Ctrl+Alt+Del which reboots to the same screen.

If i want to go into the BIOS, pressing F2 or Del does not work around 50% of the time.

If i decide to reboot with the Microsoft keyboard, it will stall just short of Windows booting.

I have tried another Microsoft Natural keyboard and it will pass POST.

I bought an $8 keyboard at a shop and it works without issue, but it is not ergonomic.

Is there anyway that i can get the Microsoft keyboard to work?

Thanks
Leader.Desslock
3 REPLIES 3

NemesisChild
Level 12
Did you try different USB ports?

I've had similar experiences when a USB device is failing. How old is the 4000?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

The 4000 arrived in August 2018. I have another one that is 4 years old. I just bought an Adesso Microban Split Keyboard which exhibits similar symptoms. I am going to send the Adesso back to Amazon.

I have tried nearly all USB ports to no avail.

If i restart or power on, i get:
1. blank screen with fans running
2. A BSOD
3. BIOS reboots into Safe Mode. Pressing F1 to enter UEFI does not work.
4. It will freeze at the ROG logo.
5. It will boot into Windows logon screen.
6. It will boot [F2 and Delete] do not work, but will boot into Windows
7. Sometimes, i can boot F2 and Delete keys will let me into the UEFI. Then, i can boot into Windows.

Thanks
Leader.Desslock

Hi,

I plugged the Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 Keyboard into an USB 3.0 card.
Nearly half the time i restarted or shutdown, i would get a blank screen without the Intel Rapid Storage loading. I would have hold down the power button for 5 seconds to shut down completely. I would power up BIOS safe mode and was unable to get the system to recognize my pushing F1 and would have to power down to avoid that screen and boot Windows.

With the Adesso keyboard, i had the same symptoms as the Microsoft keyboard except that i could push F1 and enter the BIOS and Esc to exit and boot Windows. Windows did freeze once while booting.

I have an USB Hub arriving Wednesday and i will try it.

I am thinking about changing Intel Rapid Storage to AHCI and see if that works, because the first screen to load is the IRS. I am wondering if i have to reinstall Windows to do this?

Thanks