cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement screw for lower m2 heatsink/cover

rckrz6
Level 7
Is there any place to get a replacement screw, asus thought it would be a great idea to put loctite on these and i damaged the head of one screws trying to put my second nvme drive in. I still got it out but i don't really wanna put that one back in again.

Hero XI
4 REPLIES 4

Ch3vr0n
Level 10
not through the forums you arent. Contact asus tech support, that said. m.2 screws should be pretty easy to find in general

Ch3vr0n wrote:
not through the forums you arent. Contact asus tech support, that said. m.2 screws should be pretty easy to find in general

There not standard m2 screws they are much longer but ill contact support

pkincy
Level 8
Well the good news is that Asus realized their mistake and are putting screws in their new motherboards that have larger heads in some cases and SS screws in others. But the Maximus XI Hero has very long screws with a lot of blue locktite and very soft carbon steel phillips #0 heads. I just RMAd mine to have them drill and replace 2 of the screws. I would imagine they would be happy to send you a few of the screws if you call them. Glad you were able to actually get them out.

A secret would be to first put a hair dryer on the screws to soften the locktite and then take out the screw while the motherboard is not in a case so you can get some downward pressure on the screw head. But this definitely was an engineering fail when they put it together. My Z370-E Strix has much shorter screws with no loctite and they are SS so you don't lose the heads on them. Just a silly move on Asus' part.

pkincy wrote:
Well the good news is that Asus realized their mistake and are putting screws in their new motherboards that have larger heads in some cases and SS screws in others. But the Maximus XI Hero has very long screws with a lot of blue locktite and very soft carbon steel phillips #0 heads. I just RMAd mine to have them drill and replace 2 of the screws. I would imagine they would be happy to send you a few of the screws if you call them. Glad you were able to actually get them out.

A secret would be to first put a hair dryer on the screws to soften the locktite and then take out the screw while the motherboard is not in a case so you can get some downward pressure on the screw head. But this definitely was an engineering fail when they put it together. My Z370-E Strix has much shorter screws with no loctite and they are SS so you don't lose the heads on them. Just a silly move on Asus' part.[/QUOT

I think you are missing the point completely or and you don't understand what the issue is.

He wants to replace the long thin fine threaded screw that holds the nvme cover in place on motherboard. There are 2 screws in each end. It has nothing to do with engineering. It could be the screw (s) were tightened to much when he installed the NVME drive. It has nothing to do with ASUS.