cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend some Overclock settings 8700K

kahless
Level 7
Hi Guys,

I recently built an 8700K, Maximus Hero system.

The rest of the system has 32Gb Trident Z RGB 8x4 3200mhz 16-18-18-38
Corsair H115i Pro rgb, Corsair Carbide Air 540.

I have really only played with AI Suite auto tune but would like to dial in a better overclock but I am not sure which settings to try out. Right now it runs on auto everything with 5ghz, 3 AVX offset. Max temps I have seen with Aida64 stress test is 72C. Voltages run about 1.38v with an occasional spike at 1.4v.

The only other load I have hit the system with is just gaming. 3 hour long sessions of Assassins Creed Origins. The system is only used for gaming. I have seen some guides and other settings people have used but most seem to supply a constant voltage to the cpu. Isn't adaptive the better option? So that it can ramp down?

I have ran my memory at 3400mhz with the same timings and seems OK. In order to get 3400mhz stable I set the ram voltage to 1.375 instead of 1.35. VCCIO is on auto, and too high I would suspect, 1.328v and System agent voltage 1.264.

Just looking to maintange 5ghz with better control of voltage and push my ram to its max potential.

Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoUtA7DKXhU

be sure that all drivers and bios are up to date.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

kahless
Level 7
Hi, thanks for the reply. I had saw the der8auer video but one concern I had with his settings he doesn't use an adaptive voltage. So it mostly just stays at 1.35 24/7 and the cpu is at constant 5ghz. Is there possibly a better way that will have the cpu speed and voltage scale as usage goes up and down? For system longevity

He also leaves VCCIO and System agent voltage on auto. I have mine on auto and I suspect they were way to high...

kahless
Level 7
I tried the Der8auer settings. Seem to work OK. Voltage is much more steady. Didn't see it go over 1.344 on vcore ever. 30 min of Aida64 stress test it never went over 72c.

One thing I don't understand is when he had the settings loaded his VCCIO and system agent voltage were much lower then mine and his were on auto as well. Matching his settings gives me the same 1.328 and 1.264.

Menthol
Level 14
What settings are you using for your Memory, 3200 XMP? at 3200mhz I would try 1.1 to 1.2 for both SA and IO, this can take a little time to test stability and every CPU is different

Menthol wrote:
What settings are you using for your Memory, 3200 XMP? at 3200mhz I would try 1.1 to 1.2 for both SA and IO, this can take a little time to test stability and every CPU is different

I'm using VCCSA & VCCIO @ 1,200 and DRAM @ 1,3530 to get stability with 3.200Mhz
But my cpu is 4.7Ghz sync all core Vcore 1,1 + VDrop 0,020 and LLC2 ...

I'm using handbrake x265 10Bit enconding for test (72h test) medium temp 58° (inside core)

In my test 4.8Ghz Vcore 1,240 Vdrop 0,020 and LLC3 raise the medium temp to 64° (inside core)

... but in 10h test is only 12 minutes faster, so I decide to choose lowest temp.

kahless
Level 7
I have manually entered in 3400 16 18 38 1.36v. Secondary timings are auto.

Previously I had 3600 with same timings but I got a bsod at the desktop with that. So I went back to 3400.

I run with my DDR3200 Ram clocked to 3600 VCCIO 0,9750V and system agent voltage 1.0750V tested and now 2 weeks without any Problem.

Somebody told me, best is to have between this 2 Voltages always a 0,100V distance but I don't know, if this is true.

The 8auer in his Video use LLC6, what I don't like! I would say LLC 5 is better and with my CPU I use LLC4. First I used Manual VCore and now I am testing Offset.

MikelMolto wrote:
I run with my DDR3200 Ram clocked to 3600 VCCIO 0,9750V and system agent voltage 1.0750V tested and now 2 weeks without any Problem.

Somebody told me, best is to have between this 2 Voltages always a 0,100V distance but I don't know, if this is true.

The 8auer in his Video use LLC6, what I don't like! I would say LLC 5 is better and with my CPU I use LLC4. First I used Manual VCore and now I am testing Offset.

Der8aur pushes for best OC while keeping is as simple as possible for the novice. The tools are there to get it. Whats wrong with LLC 6? You are not going to find out what your chip can do with an extremly conservative approach. The chip isnt going to let you cook it, it will shut down on thermal ovld first. As for longevity? Ive been at this for some time and have yet to see any chip with a heavy OC that didnt make the long haul of at least 5 years, Im upgrading most of the time well before that and my handmedowns get returned to stock and contine to run until they are archaic. Im more than certain Der8aur not only knows what he is doing but is very good at it. If he puts out advice, I listen...same with elmor or any of that crew.

That being said I always start with an LLC of 6 and run the clock and Vcore as high as I dare to go as well as setting power to max. Heat removal is the limiting factor for both OC and longetivity. Once Ive seen what a particular chip will get at LLC 6 I will try and drop it back a click and repeat bench tests. Lather, rinse, repeat until I get a good balance of max clocks with lowest voltages. Then when Im done with the CPU I'll drop the multi back one and then go for Uncore getting it as high as I can using the same method. Save ram for last. This is my approach regardless of the platform and has yeilded very good results. That and the luck of the silicon lottery that often can be bought with a binned chip. Is this the best way to go? Maybe....but its methodical which is the best approach no matter how you go about it. One thing at a time. When you jump in jacking everything at once you dont know the limiations of anything and end up chasing your tail. You may hold back the best CPU OC by jacking the ram too high out of the gate.

Good luck!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

kahless
Level 7
What timings on your ram?