cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Bios 2004 and XMP with rated 4266 ram in MB QVL 4 sticks

SK8
Level 10
So my system was stable on 602 bios and a manual OC on ram to get its rated speeds and like a goof I decided to update the bios to bios 2004 and did not know once I did I could not go back to my old bios as Asus thinks its to old. Yes its a old bios but it was stable on the manual OC someone helped me with. So my manual OC I had on bios 602 is a no go as I dont know enough on manual OC and whats safe for voltage etc . Now the first bit when I tried xmp one on my ram with bios 2004 it all booted up and no issues I ran my ram test all was good until I rebooted after a 12hr ram test on Karhu RamTest and landed in BSOD land after a reboot. Turned my windows was not stable I suspect maybe I'm wrong. Now I have windows stable before I go back into bios does this bios support 4266 rated ram on XMP 1 or 2 if at all and yes this ram is in the QVL for the MB. I just don't want to muck everything up again as its been just over a week already mucking about with windows and bios.

So have they sorted it out on Bios 2004 for 4 sticks of ram to go on XMP at 4266MHz? Before I clued in my windows was maybe a issue I had better luck on XMP 1 then XMP 2. Bottom line I just want to get my ram back up to its rated speeds like I had it at. Lesson learned never update bios unless you have a problem lol.

PC specs...

CPU - Intel I9 - 9900K Processor
CPU Cooler - Hydro Series H150i Pro RGB 360mm Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard - ROG Maximus XI Extreme
RAM - DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266Mhz 32GB
Video Card - ROG Strix OC 2080Ti OC
Case- Corsair 780T
Power Supply - Corsair HX 1200i
SSD's - Samsung 860 evo X3 1-500GB 2-1TB
Fans - Corsair ML140 Pro 140mm
Command Pro- 1

Win 10 Enterprise 64bit

What I had for manual OC on bios 602...

Bios 602
passed 8hr test on Karhu RamTest
Set to Manual OC
Dram Frequency 4266MHz
Dram voltage 1.45v
CPU VCCIO Voltage 1.25v
CPU System Agent Voltage 1.29v
Dram timing control 17-18-18-38
Mode1
Dram command rate set to 2N set dram current capability to 130%
Bios 602 and did a bios update doh
Set to Manual OC
Dram Frequency 4266MHz
Dram voltage 1.45v
CPU VCCIO Voltage 1.25v
Mode1
17 REPLIES 17

Nate152 wrote:
Writing the settings down is good or if you can remember them.

To set your ram manually, you'll want to reset the bios to defaults (F5 key).

Then on the Extreme Tweaker page set:

Dram Frequency - 4266MHz
Dram voltage - 1.48v
CPU VCCIO voltage - 1.28v
CPU System Agent voltage - 1.29v

Dram Timing Control:

The primary timings may show only three timings as the middle two are tied together, so you'd enter the primary timings:

Command Rate 2N

Maximus Tweak mode 2

And that's it, F10 and Enter to save and exit.

Pretty easy for setting it manually?

Yes it is easy unless I have not been in bios for a long time then I have to look harder lol. I did not see your last post in time so this is what I am testing this sec and I rebooted a few times before I started the ram test to make sure it did not freak out and have issues looking for ram or what ever lovely error code it decided on thankfully none.. I guess the only thing I did different is Maximus Tweak mode 1 my bad and as normal using my Karhu RamTest this sec and just checked I got a error at 46 min so I will change the Maximus Tweak mode 2 and try again. Edit it gave a error in 14 min on Maximus Tweak mode 2 . So I shut it down for tonight. The one thing I did not try is reset the bios to defaults but I dont change much in bios other then turn off bluetooth and wifi.

Dram Frequency - 4266MHz
Dram voltage - 1.48v
CPU VCCIO voltage - 1.28v
CPU System Agent voltage - 1.29v

Dram Timing Control:

Command Rate 2N

Maximus Tweak mode 2
Dram current capabitety 130%
Set to Manual OC
Dram Frequency 4266MHz
Dram voltage 1.45v
CPU VCCIO Voltage 1.25v
Mode1

Jesseinsf
Level 10
SK8 wrote:
So my system was stable on 602 bios and a manual OC on ram to get its rated speeds and like a goof I decided to update the bios to bios 2004 and did not know once I did I could not go back to my old bios as Asus thinks its to old. Yes its a old bios but it was stable on the manual OC someone helped me with. So my manual OC I had on bios 602 is a no go as I dont know enough on manual OC and whats safe for voltage etc . Now the first bit when I tried xmp one on my ram with bios 2004 it all booted up and no issues I ran my ram test all was good until I rebooted after a 12hr ram test on Karhu RamTest and landed in BSOD land after a reboot. Turned my windows was not stable I suspect maybe I'm wrong. Now I have windows stable before I go back into bios does this bios support 4266 rated ram on XMP 1 or 2 if at all and yes this ram is in the QVL for the MB. I just don't want to muck everything up again as its been just over a week already mucking about with windows and bios.

So have they sorted it out on Bios 2004 for 4 sticks of ram to go on XMP at 4266MHz? Before I clued in my windows was maybe a issue I had better luck on XMP 1 then XMP 2. Bottom line I just want to get my ram back up to its rated speeds like I had it at. Lesson learned never update bios unless you have a problem lol.

PC specs...

CPU - Intel I9 - 9900K Processor
CPU Cooler - Hydro Series H150i Pro RGB 360mm Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard - ROG Maximus XI Extreme
RAM - DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266Mhz 32GB
Video Card - ROG Strix OC 2080Ti OC
Case- Corsair 780T
Power Supply - Corsair HX 1200i
SSD's - Samsung 860 evo X3 1-500GB 2-1TB
Fans - Corsair ML140 Pro 140mm
Command Pro- 1

Win 10 Enterprise 64bit

What I had for manual OC on bios 602...

Bios 602
Set to Manual OC
Dram Frequency 4266MHz
Dram voltage 1.45v
CPU VCCIO Voltage 1.25v
Mode1

Why do you have Enterprise version? Did you subscribe to an E3 or E5 Microsoft 365 license? There is no benefit over the Workstation edition except for AppLocker. Also, Enterprise version has 36 months of serving whereas Workstation has 24 months. The servicing is renewed on each major build release. The reason for the extra year of Servicing per major build on Enterprise version is that Enterprises do not like to upgrade to soon and need to test builds longer. Lastly, AppLocker would be a huge burden for the non-corporate/Enterprise user. In the end, there are absolutely NO benefits between Enterprise and Workstation version. I use the Workstation version and I only upgraded for $109 and no yearly fee.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
4266MT on Z390 can be tough. Unfortunately, BIOS updates can introduce new ME firmware which sometimes can impede overclocking. It's important to make note of any values, even if on auto.

You can try the memory subsets here from an old screenshot of mine and see if this helps improve the situation. VCCSA (System Agent) is quite sensitive on this platform when pressing on, as signal margins are quite tight. You may need to experiment again with this rail if you did not note how much voltage you were using on the previous BIOS. There's no "magic bullet" on this rail as it's CPU sample dependant, so test methodically.

https://i.imgur.com/mtj6OV1.png

Hope this helps.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
4266MT on Z390 can be tough. Unfortunately, BIOS updates can introduce new ME firmware which sometimes can impede overclocking. It's important to make note of any values, even if on auto.

You can try the memory subsets here from an old screenshot of mine and see if this helps improve the situation. VCCSA (System Agent) is quite sensitive on this platform when pressing on, as signal margins are quite tight. You may need to experiment again with this rail if you did not note how much voltage you were using on the previous BIOS. There's no "magic bullet" on this rail as it's CPU sample dependant, so test methodically.

https://i.imgur.com/mtj6OV1.png

Hope this helps.

Silent Scone, Thank you and thank you for the screen shot, I will go up to the other PC soon and start again and try some more.This is what worked on Bios 602 and yes tried it last week and was a no go on the newest bios .... Edit sadly gave a BSOD stop code IRQL not less or equal / ram oc

Bios 602
Set to Manual OC
Dram Frequency 4266MHz
Dram voltage 1.45v
CPU VCCIO Voltage 1.25v
Mode1
Set to Manual OC
Dram Frequency 4266MHz
Dram voltage 1.45v
CPU VCCIO Voltage 1.25v
Mode1

SK8
Level 10
Any suggestions on what bios to use for this ram to be stable since I cant go back to bios 602 ? EDIT.. This second trying bios 1802
Set to Manual OC
Dram Frequency 4266MHz
Dram voltage 1.45v
CPU VCCIO Voltage 1.25v
Mode1

Nate152
All right,

Good idea, the latest bios usually has better ram compatability/stability.

In case you haven't updated the Intel ME driver, you can get this at the ASUS Support Center in the driver section for your motherboard.

Select your operating sytem, it's under Chipset - https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-xi-extreme-model/helpdesk_download/

Give us an update with bios 1802.

SK8
Level 10
Hi Nate 152 , Very good point but I updated the ME driver last week when I redid windows so that was good to go already but I still appropriate the heads up as it could help someone else down the road.

With bios 1802 it was interesting last night I tried a few different settings for the ram but nothing took well and it just felt more stable on the newest bios 2004 so I flashed it back last night.

The interesting part on bios 1802 was out of frustration I put it on XMP 1 and I got to windows, No way should that have worked for as long as it did with my ram, I rebooted a few times to see if I would get a memory error and did not. So I ran a ram test and at just over 90min a BSOD and I expected that. But I thought it was interesting it worked for as long as it did . So rebooted and ran a second ram test and it failed faster in 30 min. Then took it back to the newest bios 2004.
Set to Manual OC
Dram Frequency 4266MHz
Dram voltage 1.45v
CPU VCCIO Voltage 1.25v
Mode1

qlfenv
Level 7
I had a Z390 E gaming and I played with 4266mhz ram 4x8gb.

With Z390 if you don't have a daisy chain like the apex, there won't be much succes above 4266cl16 with a T topology.
First off, update to 2004, that version has the best auto Skew settings for booting above 4000mhz.
Unlock power limitations. The trick on my old Z390 board to be able to hold 4200cl16 stable was to set the VRM swithcing frequency to 500khz which was the maximum for that board lol. On yours you should be able to go further. Set it to 2 ticks or so below the max, something like 600khz.

Set ram freq to 4266mhz because your board can go up to 4400. Usually if your board can do 4400 then 1 or 2 ticks below that is the maximum stable in reality.
Set ram voltage to 1.5v
1.27v on vccio because you have 4 sticks
1.3v on vccsa
don't use a xmp profile, set it to manual and bclk to 100.000.
Then set primary timing to 16 18 36 and save. Go from here. I personally use Testmem5 with Universal cfg.