cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possibly defective ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) Motherboard

Mr_Robot_X
Level 7
I have a random boot off and on once before full power problem, i cannot resolve, even with an RMA replacement EVGA power supply. My inintal thought was that my 440 days old EVGA Supernova 650W G2 80+ Gold was defective so i contacted EVGA to get a RMA replacement, after recieving the replacement and exchanging it with the old power supply, i still have the boot off and on problem. Now, im left with no choice to assume my motherboard is defective, even its impossible, since i never overclocked it or flashed the Bios with the lastest Bio verision. I have recorded the boot off and on problem and will be sharing the link here below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8pw84yf3v49x5ot/Video%202018-03-02%2C%208%2012%2057%20PM.mov?dl=0

I purchased the motherboard on December 29th, 2017, and had it working fine fully until Febubary 18, 2018 when the boot off and on problem started. Also i didn't do the delidding of the cpu myself, i had a guy do it in mississauga for $30, delidding with a rockit kit and replacing the old TIM with Grizzly Conductonaut Liquid metal, and resealed the IHS. His facebook page link is below. I have a warranty from this guy who delidded the i7 8700k on December 24th, 2017 for 3 years, but he told he rarely has a problem with the cilents having a defective delidded cpu, so the defective CPU is not possible, but a defective motherboard may be possible. Overall, i am very annoyed with this problem, altough its not doing any peramenant damage to my hardware parts, but at a $400 CAD paid with taxes for the motherboard itself, its a big a problem. So check out my gaming config below, and let me know what is the real source of my problem, thanks. In the meanwhile, i will be reading the motherboard manual with the QR table to understand the meaning of each code during the boot off and on issue, but i prefer if you guys can explain it for me thanks, its recorded in the link above.

https://www.facebook.com/advancedcompusport/

My gaming config.

CPU: Delidded i7 8700k (Stock Clock + Autovoltage)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i + 2 x Noctua Industrial AF-14 3000 PWM (Full warranty, no leaks or pump failure whatsoever)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS HERO Z370 (WIFI AC, Default Bios)
RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 16GB (2X8GB) 3000Mhz DDR4 (Age unknown, but already tested with Memorytest86 and passed without any error)
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti S2 Hybrid (4 months old)
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256gb (7000 hours old) + Samsung 850 Evo 500gb (1month old) + 1 TB HDD (almost 2 years old)
PSU: EVGA Supernova 650W G2 80+ Gold (Currently the RMA replacement PSU)
Case: NZXT S340 Matte White/Purple

BIOS setting: XMP profile enabled with Core enchancement on, and Intel virtualization techonoloy turned on, CPU set to autovoltage and stock clock

*Update* March 2, 2018 8:55 PM EST --> I remember buying the motherboard from Canada Computers, the cashier opened the motherboard box and opened the CPU protection socket to show proof that there is no bent pins. I checked with my own and saw no bent pins, its confirmed as shown in the reciept image.

*Update* March 2, 2018 10:13 PM EST --> I have reapplied the thermal paste which is the Arctic MX-4 and reseated the CPU cooler, as expected, the boot off and on problem is still there.

*Update* March 3, 2018 3:27 PM EST --> Check out the updated diagnose log of all the possible things i tested.

*Update* March 3, 2018 3:42 PM EST --> I have included the diagnose log for the EVGA supernova 650W G2 PSU, if that helps you figure out the real problem.

13 REPLIES 13

BigJob
Level 10
The prob is either the CPU (most likely) , the ram , the mobo , the video card

Isolate the components and test to see which the problem is with by switching out components and testing w that if possible.

BigJob wrote:
The prob is either the CPU (most likely) , the ram , the mobo , the video card

Isolate the components and test to see which the problem is with by switching out components and testing w that if possible.

A)I tested the ram with Memorytest86 boot software for 1 hour and 15 minutes with 2 passes and no error, so bad ram is not possible.

B) I ran the CPU stress with ROG Realbench 2.56v for 15 minutes and did not encounter any crash or irregular temps during the stress, so a bad cpu is not possible.

C)I already replaced the old PSU with a RMA replacement and still have the same problem, however a bad PSU might be still possible, see below.

Conclusion: The motherboard may be defective but as to why the motherboard is defective, it may be that my 440 days old PSU was already defective during its skylake stage as it might be the true cause for killing the MSI Z170-a PRO motherboard that i already RMA it to MSI. If that was the case, the EVGA supernova 650W G2 might have already damaged my motherboard causing it to cut power off once before running power. However, that is just my guess, if that was true, i would seriously tell people to avoid buying EVGA power supplies in the future.

Raja
Level 13
Depending on the config, a power cycle before the boot process commences is normal.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Depending on the config, a power cycle before the boot process commences is normal.

That is an invalid assumption because my whole computer is drawing power via a surge protector so a power cycle in case of bad power draw from the wall outlet is not possible, but i will check by using a different wall altought i might get the same results anyway. To answer your question, my computer with the ASUS motherboard never had a power cycle before, so its not normal by any means.

*Update* Sorry, i didn't quite understand what "Power cycle" is, but after researching it. I found that i was doing that all time every time i turn on the computer, so even so, the problem is not fixed.

Mr_Robot_X wrote:
That is an invalid assumption because my whole computer is drawing power via a surge protector so a power cycle in case of bad power draw from the wall outlet is not possible, but i will check by using a different wall altought i might get the same results anyway. To answer your question, my computer with the ASUS motherboard never had a power cycle before, so its not normal by any means.

*Update* Sorry, i didn't quite understand what "Power cycle" is, but after researching it. I found that i was doing that all time every time i turn on the computer, so even so, the problem is not fixed.

The issue here is the assumption that a power cycle is not normal, when it is for certain configs. As I said above, it occurs because some controllers need to be double pumped and or when certain features are enabled or disabled.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
The issue here is the assumption that a power cycle is not normal, when it is for certain configs. As I said above, it occurs because some controllers need to be double pumped and or when certain features are enabled or disabled.

I get what you mean, but it shouldn't affect my booting process so significantly that it power off once itself before running power, its a random change i did not expect to occur while running the XMP profile enabled and Intel Virtualization On. Even clearing the CMOS and running on default bio settings didn't solve the random boot off and on problem. My point is that I never had this happend during its entire length of ownership, so its clearly abnormal from a consumer's perspective. Imagine if i sold the computer to a local buyer and this issue thats been happening to me occur to them also, they will complain about it, do you expect me to tell them the same thing you said, "Don't worry about it, its a normal thing for the computer to randomly turn itself off after pressing the power button before running at full power", how you think they will react?

While the computer is still working fine, this is the only issue i cannot resolve or explain. So, please think again what is the real problem i'm having with this motherboard, thanks.

Mr_Robot_X wrote:
I get what you mean, but it shouldn't affect my booting process so significantly that it power off once itself before running power, its a random change i did not expect to occur while running the XMP profile enabled and Intel Virtualization On. Even clearing the CMOS and running on default bio settings didn't solve the random boot off and on problem. My point is that I never had this happend during its entire length of ownership, so its clearly abnormal from a consumer's perspective. Imagine if i sold the computer to a local buyer and this issue thats been happening to me occur to them also, they will complain about it, do you expect me to tell them the same thing you said, "Don't worry about it, its a normal thing for the computer to randomly turn itself off after pressing the power button before running at full power", how you think they will react?

While the computer is still working fine, this is the only issue i cannot resolve or explain. So, please think again what is the real problem i'm having with this motherboard, thanks.

As I said, the board will do this. This topic has been covered many times, and whether someone likes it or not, they accept that it's a facet of the hardware. It is due to the fact that the hardware sometimes needs a double-pump (there are numerous factors, including shutdown, ac presence, and it's also platform related). Not much you can do about it with certain configs.

There is no other reply I can give you as there is no problem. If it's difficult for you to accept, it's not something that I can change. As with all things that trouble us, at some point we need to decide whether pursuing it endlessly is worth the time and energy. You'll get numerous opinions and thoughts about it, many of which may require more tail-chasing. There is nothing more I can say, other than wishing you well. Good luck.

Raja@ASUS wrote:

As I said, the board will do this. This topic has been covered many times, and whether someone likes it or not, they accept that it's a facet of the hardware. It is due to the fact that the hardware sometimes needs a double-pump (there are numerous factors, including shutdown, ac presence, and it's also platform related). Not much you can do about it with certain configs.

There is no other reply I can give you as there is no problem. If it's difficult for you to accept, it's not something that I can change. As with all things that trouble us, at some point we need to decide whether pursuing it endlessly is worth the time and energy. You'll get numerous opinions and thoughts about it, many of which may require more tail-chasing. There is nothing more I can say, other than wishing you well. Good luck.

Yeah i just found that, what a waste of my time lol. Oh well, im gonna delete this thread if i can and move on.

I had an Abit ip35-e mobo that did that from the day i built it and it worked fine for 6 years. Abit released a bios that stopped it cause people complained, but it was an actual feature, it was like a power on self check or something. I didn't update the bios because it didn't bother me. Basically you could hear the system power up fans start running then it shut down real quick and started normal.