cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possibly bug in ROG Z390-I BIOS

Lazyworm
Level 7
Hi, there is an option in ROG Z390-I's BIOS, in Advanced -> PCH Storage Configuration -> M.2_2, says "Enable or Disable M.2_2 Port"

However, when I set it to "Disabled", the system still see my NVMe drive in the M.2_2 port.

Is this a bug?

Tried BIOS version 0805/1003
3 REPLIES 3

XYchromosone
Level 10
Lazyworm wrote:
Hi, there is an option in ROG Z390-I's BIOS, in Advanced -> PCH Storage Configuration -> M.2_2, says "Enable or Disable M.2_2 Port"

However, when I set it to "Disabled", the system still see my NVMe drive in the M.2_2 port.

Is this a bug?

BIOS version is 0805

Going by your BIOS screenshot your M.2_2 port has no device installed [empty] so where are you seeing the M.2_2 drive installed? Actually come to think about it, if you have your NVMe SSD installed in PCIe mode, then although you have disabled the SATA port for the M.2_2 it should show as an NVMe PCIe x4 SSD... or something similar. MAybe someone with experience with your board could help to clarify. I am putting together my Maximus XI Code in the next day or so, and see if it has a similar setting, and if so I shall try and repeat what you have done.

XYchromosone wrote:
Going by your BIOS screenshot your M.2_2 port has no device installed [empty] so where are you seeing the M.2_2 drive installed? Actually come to think about it, if you have your NVMe SSD installed in PCIe mode, then although you have disabled the SATA port for the M.2_2 it should show as an NVMe PCIe x4 SSD... or something similar. MAybe someone with experience with your board could help to clarify. I am putting together my Maximus XI Code in the next day or so, and see if it has a similar setting, and if so I shall try and repeat what you have done.

But I do have a NVMe drive installed in M.2_2 port, and it works fine. Can see it in home page of BIOS.

As you mentioned that its [empty], I'm guessing it might be the source of the bug: the option isn't reading the status of M.2_2 correctly, thus disabling it doesn't work.

that is strange. I still haven't had a chance to build my XI Code so I am unable to compare. Somehow though, I am thinking that in your first screenshot where the NVMe drive is not seen, and you disabled the M.2_2 port, I am wondering if that has to do with the fact that it is not configured as a SATA drive, because in the home screenshot it is seen as an NVMe drive. A way to test this theory might be to configure the M.2_2 drive as a SATA drive and then see what it looks like in the first screenshot part of the BIOS i.e. see if it appears as a SATA or what ever; you might have to enable the port but try both, enabled and disabled to test.