cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible infected BIOS Update

Robert42
Level 7
I have just downloaded the latest BIOS update for my Z390-F Motherboard (2004). I scanned it with VirusTotal and it flagged a trojan with only one vendor - JIANGMIN. is this a false positive (I hope) and is it safe to install?

Has anyone else come across this issue?
2 REPLIES 2

Jesseinsf
Level 10
It's BIOS file. of course it will get flagged. Why does it get flagged? It gets flagged because it changes your BIOS. BIOS virus creators use the same code when creating infected BIOS files. Plus, it is a file that is rarely downloaded. Most unpopular downloads can also potentially get flagged. So, if you got the BIOS file from the product web page then you can be reassured that it was a false positive.

Jesseinsf wrote:
It's BIOS file. of course it will get flagged. Why does it get flagged? It gets flagged because it changes your BIOS. BIOS virus creators use the same code when creating infected BIOS files. Plus, it is a file that is rarely downloaded. Most unpopular downloads can also potentially get flagged. So, if you got the BIOS file from the product web page then you can be reassured that it was a false positive.

Thanks for that. Its put my mind at rest. I was just a bit surprised that just 1 av company flagged it when all the others gave it a clean bill. Just being paranoid about PC security. 🙂