cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Strix Z390I onboard Wifi Performance VS Rmpage V Extreme

28BeersLater
Level 7
Hi Folks,

I recently replaced my "Main Rig" (I should probably update my signature!)

Before anyone says it, I know wired is best for large consistent file transfers. I work from home and regularly have to copy VM environments to and from my NAS box. Previously this was all wired, but since moving it has not been an option so I've had to rely on wireless... Not Ideal but I was coping!

The router is a ROG Rapture GT-AC5300. moving it, or the PC are not an option, however on my previous build, based around a ROG Rampage V extreme, using the factory antenna and build in WiFi, I got a decent connection rate, I was getting a reported 1.3 Gpbs. Copying VMS ran around the 60-80 MB/s (from Memory!) which to all intents and purposes, was pretty much the performance I got when wired, I guess the NAS box was the bottle neck.

The new Motherboard, ROG Strix Z390I should, (I thought) be faster, it is a later wifi standard, and has a bigger antenna on a longer cable. however connection seems weaker, instead of defaulting to 5G like the old machine did, this remains on 2.4G... at a rate of 144.4Mbps... I'm currently trying to restore a VM and its taking ages, peaking at just over 8 MB/s.

Any idea why the newer, later standard motherboard seems to be yielding considerably less performance? Is this to be expected? How can I improve it?
Gotterdammerung: Rampage V Extreme | Intel I7-5930K | 32GB Corsair Dominator 2666 | EVGA GTX 980 SC x3
Kingston HyperX Predator 480GB | Corsair Neutron XT 960GB | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair 900D | EK RVE Monoblock | EK 980 GTX Blocks

GOOSE: STRIX Z390I Gaming | Intel i9-9900KF | 32GB Vengeance RGB 3200 | STRIX Vega 64 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB x2
Corsair SF 750 | Phanteks Evolv Shift X | EK Z390I Monoblock | EK Strix Vega 64 GPU Block
0 REPLIES 0