cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.

CapybaraGold
Level 7
Bonjour,

Can you elucidate this mystery ?This message is showing up on 2 identical builds with brand new parts. It happens at the beginning of a boot, after the computer has been off for an hour or more. The configuration is a hackintosh with OpenCore EFIs with everything running 100% smoothly.

Here is the message :

WARNING: Please back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent and cause unpredictable fail. Press F1 to Run SETUP.

Additional info for diagnosis :

- Asus Rog Strix z390-e gaming

- 2 Crucial P2 drives on M.2 ports

- SMART and other drive tests reveal no problems at all

- The drive temperature's readings just for 1 drive are off in Mac OS & Windows (on both builds). This may not be related though so let's not necessarily get sidetracked by this lead. But maybe. Crucial software "Crucial Storage Executive" gives normal temperature readings though.

Finally, here is the error screen when I get it :

I'm looking for serious opinions on what could be causing this, and of course how to fix it.

Personally I don't believe the drive is in any trouble and this has more to do with a reading issue from the motherboard, but I'm not an expert.

Thank you so much 
5 REPLIES 5

CapybaraGold
Level 7
Hello !
Is anything OK ?

CapybaraGold wrote:
Hello !
Is anything OK ?

That looks like a S.M.A.R.T initialization failure.

If you are on windows, download CrystalDiskInfo from https://crystalmark.info/en/download/#CrystalDiskInfo and look at what does it say.
Otherwise, any other S.M.A.R.T monitoring tool will work to check which HD and what kind of issue that is.
You can disable S.M.A.R.T checks from the BIOS configuration of most motherboards.

XYchromosone
Level 10
disconnect the SATA drive and see if you still get that error. As far as i'm aware, S.M.A.R.T. does not work with M.2 SSD drives, only SATA SSD or HDD

Robert42
Level 7
CapybaraGold wrote:
Bonjour,

Can you elucidate this mystery ?This message is showing up on 2 identical builds with brand new parts. It happens at the beginning of a boot, after the computer has been off for an hour or more. The configuration is a hackintosh with OpenCore EFIs with everything running 100% smoothly.

Here is the message :

WARNING: Please back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent and cause unpredictable fail. Press F1 to Run SETUP.

A

I have just rebuilt 2 PCs using Asus Z390-F motherboards and P2 SSDs. I had the same problem which I, like you, could not find a solution to so replaced the P2 s with P1s which are working fine with no errors. I had an email exchange with Crucial and came to the conclusion that there seems to be an incompatability issue with these SSDs. I plan to replace with Samsung evos. soon.

Robert42 wrote:
CapybaraGold wrote:
Bonjour,

Here is the message :

A

I have just rebuilt 2 PCs using Asus Z390-F motherboards and P2 SSDs. I had the same problem which I, like you, could not find a solution to so replaced the P2 s with P1s which are working fine with no errors. I had an email exchange with Crucial and came to the conclusion that there seems to be an incompatability issue with these SSDs. I plan to replace with Samsung evos. soon.

I think Crucial is correct, given (1) the P1 works without error, it means it is not MB/BIOS/OS problem or (2) only error shown with the P2, therefore it is incompaitbility problem.
Sincerely,
Legolas