cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC wont power on after initial start and BIOS check

levye
Level 7
Hi,

I have built a brand new PC and when i first hit the power button, everything went fine. I have accessed BIOS setup and checked options.
After that, I have powered off/restarted PC couple of times to check BIOS again. (No OS installed yet)

Next day, when i wanted to enter BIOS again, I hit the Power button and nothing happened. PC gives no response. (does not turn on, no fan spinning, nothing.) However lights on motherboard and also PWD_LED are on. Lights are also glowing / fading.

[COMPONENTS]

- Intel i7 8700K CPU
- Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming
- Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080 Ti 11G GPU
- CORSAIR - VENGEANCE LPX Series 3000Mhz DDR4 16GB x 2 RAM
- Be Quite Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU cooler
- EVGA Supernova 1000G3 PSU
- Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500MB + 500MB
- Fractal Define R6 TG USB-C Case
- 3 X 140mm Be Quite PWM Chassis Fan
- LG 32GK850g 32" LED Monitor

[STATUS]

1- I have moved motherboard from case to cardboard to see if motherboard shorting to the case. So I have removed all unnecessary components (such as SSDs, additional RAM, Graphics Card etc) and only left CPU, CPU cooler, RAM. I have connected it to the PSU with 2 cables (1 for motherboard and 1 for CPU) Please see attached pictures.

1- When i connect PSU cable i can see that motherboard lights are on. (glowing RGB) I also see a standby orange color led also on. (PWR_LED)
2- I dont see any Q-Leds on (boot,vga,vram,cpu)
3- I cant smell any burn from motherboard.
4-After initial setup, i was able to enter BIOS and checked couple of things there, Lastly, i entered RAID setting to set RAID0 but I haven't completed it.
Then i have restarted the PC and there was a message on screen related to RAID and SSD s but i am not %100 sure what it was. Then i turned it off until next day.
5- I was working sometimes on carpet and also using some magnetic screwdriver on motherboard. But i was able to run pc couple of times after and haven't touched to PC after.

[THINGS I DID]

1- I reconnected motherboard power cable and cpu power cable.
2- I cleared CMOS both by using 2-pin CLRTC and removing battery separately.
3- I have checked PSU cables in case any of them loose
4- I connected RESET_SW to POWER_SW to see if the problem is with front power button. So i have tried to turn on PC by reset button but again no progress.

[QUESTIONS]

1- What does it mean if lights are on , on my motherboard but not powering on?
2- When PC is connected to PSU, which LEDs should be on (on motherboard and case) and what color?
3- Considering all these, is it possible that my motherboard is somehow dead?
4- Is there any way to check if my motherboard is dead ?
5- Can static electric can cause my motherboard or other components dead?
6- Only thing left is CPU and cooler. Is it possible that if motherboard is somehow does not recognize the cooler so that it wont turn the PC on?

Thanks

--Emre

16 REPLIES 16

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hi,

Disconnect the CPU cooler, remove the CPU and then reseat it.

Reattach the cooler whilst checking for even mounting pressure, don't overtighten. See if you're able to get the system to POST.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
Hi,

Disconnect the CPU cooler, remove the CPU and then reseat it.

Reattach the cooler whilst checking for even mounting pressure, don't overtighten. See if you're able to get the system to POST.

I need to reattach it as well however I have applied thermal grizzly conductonaut between CPU and cooler so i am not sure about how to remove it as i need to re apply it. So still searching about what is the best way to remove it. The thing is cooler is kind of big and heavy so when i install the mobo , due to its weight, it might be pulled toward bottom because of gravity. But it is made for it right so it shouldn't be a problem.

levye wrote:
I need to reattach it as well however I have applied thermal grizzly conductonaut between CPU and cooler so i am not sure about how to remove it as i need to re apply it. So still searching about what is the best way to remove it. The thing is cooler is kind of big and heavy so when i install the mobo , due to its weight, it might be pulled toward bottom because of gravity. But it is made for it right so it shouldn't be a problem.

Should be easy enough with minimal resistance. The weight won't be the issue, but you could simply try loosening it and see if this helps, too. Definitely reseat it when you have time, though. Also try with one memory module in slot A2.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Rob_W_
Level 12
Hi levye.
Whilst checking the above, it might be worth checking your psu, they can cause similar problems, test as below

*https://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=59582

Rob W. wrote:
Hi levye.
Whilst checking the above, it might be worth checking your psu, they can cause similar problems, test as below

*https://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=59582

Hi,

When i have run the test with EVGA Detection tool, it seems PSU works fine as fan is spinning on it.
However,

1- When i connect 24 pin power cable to the mobo and set the rocker switch on PSU to ON position, this time fan is not spinning.
Should it also spin when i connect PSU to the mobo and turn on PSU?

2-After connecting PSU to mobo, I did shorting power SW pins with a screwdriver in order to simulate power button on case, nothing happened so i have tried couple of times. Then something happened such that,
- PSU fan starts to spin, CPU fans also try to start then all stops and i see a click sound from PSU then tries to start again. It all takes couple of
second each time. After click sound, PSU again tries to start mobo and cpu but after CPU fans spin 1-2 seconds , stops again. So I have just
powered off the PSU as i didn't want to destroy anything.
- Couple of minutes later, I have again tried to touch PWR SW pins with screwdriver but nothing happened this time. No response.

I am using IKEA screwdriver with a hard plastic handler. Should i use any specific kind of screwdriver to do it?

Thanks for all responses. I appreciate all.

ok I had the almost the same problem so not sure but this it what happened to me and I have the same power supply I was trying everything and thought for sure it was the board I even had the board replaced it ended up being that I used the 24 pin power cord from the newer evga 850 power cord they looked the same but for some reason it wouldn't work. So if you have another connector try that.

Outlawone wrote:
ok I had the almost the same problem so not sure but this it what happened to me and I have the same power supply I was trying everything and thought for sure it was the board I even had the board replaced it ended up being that I used the 24 pin power cord from the newer evga 850 power cord they looked the same but for some reason it wouldn't work. So if you have another connector try that.

Unfortunately i don't have another cable to test.

Phillyflyer
Level 10
Levye....please check the back of the board for trace damage that may have occurred during the initial install....I say this because the board did post at one time without issue...and now no post whatsoever...leaves me to believe that the board may have come in contact with the standoffs and caused a short and possible damage thereafter....the cpu...socket pins should be fine as well as cooler since you did have board initially post
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

hey just wondering by that pic you have there is the ram in right slot 1 and 2 like that just wondering .