cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC restarting under MS DOS (no kidding) when Norton Ghost is Running.

booya
Level 7
MAXIMUS X HERO

I ran into a strange problem. I booted from the USB flash drive and when creating an image (actually, it just copies the files) in this program, the computer restarts without warning after a few minutes of work.

No encription, no compression. Nothing. This program simply copies the files. I don't know if the problem with z370, or a specific board, but I decided to ask here. I never watched anything like this on X79.

I don't have overclock for now, so I don't think that the problem can be in the stability of the system. Win7 x64 works as usual.

I have 4x SATA SSD, 1x HDD and 1x SATA DVD. Files are copied from SDD to HDD. I tried disabling the SMART status check and this didn't help.

As far as I know, this program itself can't restart the computer, it can only exit to DOS.
9 REPLIES 9

chevell65
Level 12
In case you weren't aware, Windows 7 and Z370 are not made to work together, the compatibility and updates aren't good at all. For Z370 you really need to go with Windows 10.

chevell65 wrote:
In case you weren't aware, Windows 7 and Z370 are not made to work together, the compatibility and updates aren't good at all. For Z370 you really need to go with Windows 10.

That's probably true but I dual boot with Win 7 and have no issues at all. I can do most normal things that I do on Win 10. I have some games that won't play on Win 10 so I must boot to Win 7.

booya
Level 7
Yes, I knew this, but I resolved all or almost all the problems (chipset, USB 3.0 and Windows Update).

But what about MS DOS and Ghost? I noticed that if I just run this program, then the reboot does not happen, it only happens when copying files.

I know that the situation is strange. Like, why I do not use Acronis or else, but I just do not have time to test new programs. For the same reason, I'm using Win7 :rolleyes:

davemon50
Level 11
I loved Ghost prior to updating to W10. Religiously backed up with it, and shame it's discontinued. However I would recommend you move on. A question from you, when you are booting from the flash drive are your watercooling and fan systems actually working, and working correctly during that time you get a restart?

At least you are able to reboot into the flash drive. Have you attempted to restore any files to see if that will work without a reset?

When I ran backups I always used the Windows tray interface, although I know that does not help in restore mode.
Davemon50

booya
Level 7
This version is from 2003. The boot flash drive was made more than 10 years ago, but when the OS is launched and even the program itself, the flash drive can be removed.

I didnt use Ghost under Windows, because it's overloaded with functions, slow and inconvenient. So I create and restore images only under DOS.

Under DOS I still can control the flow, water temp and fans RPM. I even have an automatic shutdown under different circumstances (Aquaero controller).

Maybe the system is unstable under DOS? Cause of low voltage or else. I'll have to check again. I have not done overclocking yet, but I plan to do it (without it, upgrade did not make sense).

It seems unbelievable to me that this is due to some kind of incompatibility or else. I mean, it's not normal, is it?

-----

I set vcore manually to 1.2 V, frequency 3.5 GHz and again received a reboot. This happens in about 90 seconds. I'm lost 😞

booya
Level 7
And what if during copying, the motherboard thinks that the system stopped responding and rebooting? :confused:

booya
Level 7
I tried to create an image using the Acronis boot disk (CD) - instead of 15 minutes, it will take several hours and I don't know what the final result will be. 10-20 seconds the program copies the files, then it waiting for something during 1 minute (according disk activity indicator). I have a board with H77 chipset and there are no such problems. I think in all these problems, either the chipset or the BIOS is to blame. I don't currently have another motherboard on on Z370 and preferably from another brand, so I can only guess, but it's extremely difficult to use such system. Unless we use the PC as a gaming console...

chevell65
Level 12
I'm still using the built in Windows 7 back up in Windows 10 for creating a system image. Works fine for me still.

booya
Level 7
The rest of the tools work fine. Acronis (Windows boot CD, not Linux), modern Norton Ghost, Paragon and of course Windows 7 System Repair Disc. Well, it's time to move on to something new. But it's still strange that this happens. I think this is the fault of the board (it reboots for some reason specifically) 😛