cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie help for ROG STRIX Z370-H Gaming!

Clusks
Level 7
Hi all,

I built my first ever PC about a month ago, specifcally for gaming! The whole thing is up and running, but I'm having a few problems and I'm hoping I can get some help. I'm a total beginner, so I apologise if some of my questions seem a bit obvious. My set up is:

MOBO: ROG STRIX Z370-H
CPU: I7 8700k
RAM: Corsair vengence 16gb 3000mhz
GPU: Nvidia 1080ti
Cooler: Dark Rock 4
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
Monitor: Acer Predator XB271H

Problem 1 - drivers:

I have no optic drive and therefore I didn't really install any drivers related to the motherboard. I noticed playing Rocket League that although I was getting 144fps smooth, the performance could feel a slight bit choppy at times. So I'm guessing this is maybe because the chipset drivers need installing? I know the drivers are here: https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-H-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

I'm confused about which ones exactly I need to install from the website. In particular, there appears to be a version 11 for the chipset driver and a version 10. I'm presuming I just take the 11 version? Some people have also told me that updating the BIOS might not be necessary. I do have the latest GPU drivers installed via Nvidia GeForce Experience.

Problem 2 - CPU voltages:

When I first set up, I decided to enable XMP profile to get 3000MHZ activated on the memory. However, I'm not sure if this did something to the CPU cores, as the voltages seem a bit on the high side. I've got a i7 8700k, but I'm not trying to overclock it (for now.) With HWiNFO, all my cores, at some point, hit a max of about 1.350v. In general, the CPU makes quite a lot of spikes in terms of temperature. I turned off MCE and this helped decrease temperatures. Whereas originally it was hitting peaks of 82 degree celsius. it now never goes beyond 72 degrees really. And this is just the peak, on average it is about 40-50 gaming, it's just for like a flash second where it'll jump that high (and maybe only once or so in a session.)

Do these voltages suggest something wrong with the CPU? Is there a setting I've got on that is causing the voltage to be so high?

Problem 3 - CPU fan not detected:

On some start ups, I am greeted by this message. I'd say I see it about once every 10 or so start ups. I have the CPU detection limit set to 200 too, but it still happens. A lot of people I've read online have suggested just disabling detection, but I'm wondering if it's something else that is an issue. I can't figure out why I only see it on some occassions by not others. My CPU fan seems to be plugged in correctly. Could this be linked to the temperature spikes?

I'm happy to provide any other information. Thank you for your help! 🙂
5 REPLIES 5

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi Clusks 🙂

The chipset driver isn't really a driver AFAIK...just labels things correctly in device manger that sort of thing...so I doubt it has much influence. I'd look more at that particular game and driver combination for the sort of choppy effect. Just get the latest version and don't confuse that with MEI driver which is different and often listed in same section in "support".

Maybe get rid of GForce experience and clean install only driver after cleaning with DDU....or try a different driver version (though this is difficult now what with windows updating you incessantly).

XMP probably enabled MCU and that was giving you slightly higher temps...not that they are that high.
Disabling MCU you'll naturally see less. The spikes are normal too...when the CPU ramps up to max speed. When it settles to lower frequencies or idle volts and temps decrease. Speedstep and all that.

The fan, I'm not sure...is it starting up OK? New fan old fan? Is it sticking sometimes at startup? Maybe it's sometimes not starting up quick enough and triggering LOW warning?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hi Clusks 🙂

The chipset driver isn't really a driver AFAIK...just labels things correctly in device manger that sort of thing...so I doubt it has much influence. I'd look more at that particular game and driver combination for the sort of choppy effect. Just get the latest version and don't confuse that with MEI driver which is different and often listed in same section in "support".

Maybe get rid of GForce experience and clean install only driver after cleaning with DDU....or try a different driver version (though this is difficult now what with windows updating you incessantly).

XMP probably enabled MCU and that was giving you slightly higher temps...not that they are that high.
Disabling MCU you'll naturally see less. The spikes are normal too...when the CPU ramps up to max speed. When it settles to lower frequencies or idle volts and temps decrease. Speedstep and all that.

The fan, I'm not sure...is it starting up OK? New fan old fan? Is it sticking sometimes at startup? Maybe it's sometimes not starting up quick enough and triggering LOW warning?

Thanks for your response!

So there are two versions released on the same day for chipset:

Version 11.7.0.1045 - 2017/12/26 - 79.47 MBytes - Intel ME V11.7.0.1045
Version 10.1.1.45 - 2017/12/26 - 5.52 MBytes - Intel_Chipset_10.1.1.45 / Intel Chipset V10.1.1.45

In regards to MEI, do you mean the 11 version above?

With any of the drivers, I'm guessing I just run the install tool in the .zip?

Ah, that's OK about the spikes. Although is 1.35v for all cores on a stock speed i7 8700k not problematic? With the choppiness in games, I'm also getting microstutter in Black Ops 4, although I'm not sure if that's because it's a more demanding game that isn't as well optimised.

With the fan, I press f1 after the message in the set up and it does appear on the monitor to be above 200, which is the weird part. I've checked and I've definitely got it plugged into the right socket for the CPU fan.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yeah, first is Intel Management Engine...the 11 driver

the 10 driver is the chipset...install both. Extract and run .exe

Auto settings can set voltage high sometimes...you'd have to try setting some manual voltage and see if it can run with less. Though again, I don't think 1.35 is too high for that platform. All CPUs are different.

The fan...I'd recommend looking at it at start up...make sure nothing is touching it etc. don't just rely on software. I't's obviously working it's just how quick it spins up that's the question.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Yeah, first is Intel Management Engine...the 11 driver

the 10 driver is the chipset...install both. Extract and run .exe

Auto settings can set voltage high sometimes...you'd have to try setting some manual voltage and see if it can run with less. Though again, I don't think 1.35 is too high for that platform. All CPUs are different.

The fan...I'd recommend looking at it at start up...make sure nothing is touching it etc. don't just rely on software. I't's obviously working it's just how quick it spins up that's the question.

Thanks for all your suggestions, I'll probably have a look this weekend at the fan!

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40