cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Z490 boards owners, does your audio pop/crakle when you change volume in Windows

drunkful
Level 7
I just got this new motherboard Z490-i, I can hear a very obvious popping/crakling sound whenever I slide my volume bar in windows 10, I have tried reinstalling multiple versions of driver but still no avail (asus official driver, mokichu's driver, default microsoft driver, default realtek driver, modded realtek driver), but still no avail.

In addition to that, I can hear electric interference whenever my m.2 ssd is under heavy usage (strange hissing, noise).

So i thought this must be a motherboard issue, filed a return request and ordered a new one from amazon.

After install the driver, the hissing from the ssd is gone but I can still hear popping/crakling sound when I change the volume.

Ok, thats pretty disapointing, I had to give up, maybe I will buy an external dac/amp later.

Z490 boards owner especially z490-i's, do you have any audio issues when you use the onboard audio output?
4,202 Views
5 REPLIES 5

Saltgrass
Level 13
I haven't heard it on my board but I currently don't have it hooked up to good speakers. I have heard the noise you hear from the drive on some laptops but it would depend on what type of headset I was using. If you have any type of sound enhancement going, you might try changing that. It could be the specific unwanted sounds are being amplified when they should be filtered out. Possibly, even using a mixer to change the amplitude of certain frequency ranges might make a difference..

You are referring to the audio jacks in the back of the system? Does it happen using different ways to adjust the volume? Does it do the same with a Bluetooth headset?

It is funny, because back when volume controls were actual devices, if one had gotten a little corroded, you would hear such static when you turned it..

Just for info, what type of speakers are you using?

I will be watching my system Maximus XII Hero (Wi-Fi)
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

I'm using the onboard Realtek ALC S1220A 8-channel high definition audio, driver version 6.0.8960.1. And so far no pop/crackle in Windows,.. but unfortunately for multi-streaming 8-channel audio I need to run @ 24-Bit/192kHz playback due to limitations in HDA bandwidth, 32-Bit/192kHz is not supported. This is only issue with the onboard Audio for me.
Intel 14900KF ~ Asus MZ790A ~ 48GB DDR5 ~ RTX 3090 FE ~ Crucial T700 SSD ~ SeaSonic TX-1600 ~ Praxis WetBench ~ Full Custom Water.

Saltgrass wrote:
I haven't heard it on my board but I currently don't have it hooked up to good speakers. I have heard the noise you hear from the drive on some laptops but it would depend on what type of headset I was using. If you have any type of sound enhancement going, you might try changing that. It could be the specific unwanted sounds are being amplified when they should be filtered out. Possibly, even using a mixer to change the amplitude of certain frequency ranges might make a difference..

You are referring to the audio jacks in the back of the system? Does it happen using different ways to adjust the volume? Does it do the same with a Bluetooth headset?

It is funny, because back when volume controls were actual devices, if one had gotten a little corroded, you would hear such static when you turned it..

Just for info, what type of speakers are you using?

I will be watching my system Maximus XII Hero (Wi-Fi)


Yeah I am using the audio jack from the back of the motherboard.

It also happens when I adjust the volume in the youtube, itunes, foobar2000, using the in app volume control.

I am using headphones btw, tested on 3 headphones (Sony Z1000, Sony mdr-m1st. AKG-K7XX) so far, they all have the this issue.

Havent tested with bluetooth headphones yet, but I tried using it with Logitech G533, which has a wireless receiver you can plug into your computer, there was no popping

dalmiroec
Level 7
drunkful wrote:
I just got this new motherboard Z490-i, I can hear a very obvious popping/crakling sound whenever I slide my volume bar in windows 10, I have tried reinstalling multiple versions of driver but still no avail (asus official driver, mokichu's driver, default microsoft driver, default realtek driver, modded realtek driver), but still no avail.

In addition to that, I can hear electric interference whenever my m.2 ssd is under heavy usage (strange hissing, noise).

So i thought this must be a motherboard issue, filed a return request and ordered a new one from amazon.

After install the driver, the hissing from the ssd is gone but I can still hear popping/crakling sound when I change the volume.

Ok, thats pretty disapointing, I had to give up, maybe I will buy an external dac/amp later.

Z490 boards owner especially z490-i's, do you have any audio issues when you use the onboard audio output?


yeah, i have the same problem with b450m-a csm..... like this guy here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6jt__Ryo1s
no one , i repeat, no one can fix this issue, is not driver or connector related...asus is plagued with these complaints.

try audio trhough HDMI Cable (from VGA to a TV or monitor with audio) and the problme will dissapear

a b550m mortar from MSI is on his way home btw.. never buying asus again

dalmiroec wrote:
yeah, i have the same problem with b450m-a csm..... like this guy here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6jt__Ryo1s
no one , i repeat, no one can fix this issue, is not driver or connector related...asus is plagued with these complaints.

try audio trhough HDMI Cable (from VGA to a TV or monitor with audio) and the problme will dissapear

a b550m mortar from MSI is on his way home btw.. never buying asus again


Yeah, I have that issue too, exactly as it displayed in the video....

Pretty sure there is a fix on the software side, just asus or microsoft does not care enough to actually fix it.

I also tested this on an external dac I own, which also has this issue when I slide the volume bar.

I got a new audio interface this morning, tried it and the popping is gone. But it came back tonight, which is really weird.

After reinstalled the driver for my audio interface, its fixed again! What the hell.... maybe it will come back after a few reboots.