cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a bit of advice on my 8700k

Starscream
Level 7
Hey everyone. It seems things have changed since my first overclock... an Intel Celeron 300 -> 450Mhz. Those were the days! My last OC was a 2500k @ 4.5 and that has been stable for the past couple of years.

Now there seems to be a lot more to it. Adaptive vs Manual, LLC, C-states enabled vs disabled. Etc. I could use some help, but I have done my research too.

First things first, I had some temp issues with XMP and MCE auto. I have a DeepCool AIO 240 and Maximus Hero X. I used Arctic Silver for the thermal paste. So, I disabled MCE and am just running XMP for the ram @3200MHz. I figure this should allow me to get a standard temp baseline.

I'm using BOINC projects for load... as that is what this PC will be doing most of the time. Once I get to a good place, I intend to run a more standard stress test.

So my first question: With only XMP enabled, the CPU should be at stock settings, yes? With BOINC running, my temps are CPU (PECI) 85C and CPU 75C. Vcore gets to 1.37 or so. This is according to HWiNFO64.

Is 1.37Vcore what it should be stock? Am I looking at the right temps? The CPU section reports the temp at 85C as well, so I suspect the other CPU temp of 75C is something different altogether.

I appreciate your feedback!!
18 REPLIES 18

Raja
Level 13
Which UEFI version is the board running? The 0430/0802 builds have different rules for LLC and SVID, so the voltage should not be that high when the CPU core ratio is at default.

I updated to the latest version available late last week. I'm pretty confident that was 0802.

Thanks!

*edit* By latest available I mean latest available on the official support page. I just wanted to clarify in case there is a beta version around as well.

Raja
Level 13
Set SVID behaviour to best case and check the voltage. Use CPU-Z to check.

Menthol
Level 14
Just a question, how old is that tube of AS, not that it is an issue just AS has not been the best TIM for some time now.

@ Menthol - the tube is new. Do you think I might get better results with something else? I thought I read AS was still good.

@ Raja - I must have updated just prior to 0802 being released. I updated and stock voltage appears better.

Now I'm trying to move on to get all cores @ 4700, which is my final goal. With MCE enabled (I had to go back and sync all cores as well) I'm getting these values:

CPUZ was stating .68 Volts or something like that. Also, what is TMPIN4 as its reporting 127C? It went back down to 0 after load removed. But I think my Vcore is really 1.36? I just want to know what parameters I need to tweak to lower the voltage and by how much to see if I can get my temps a little better.

Thanks again everyone!

P.S. I set Boinc to use only 90% of CPUs to keep it a bit safer, so these temps are not really full load.

Raja
Level 13
That's the VID, not the actual voltage. I don't use HWinfo. Probably some kind of polling error. In any case, you can tune the voltage according to what your CPU needs to be stable.

Thanks Raja for the help.

Does anyone else have some tips they could offer up as far as where to start?

I'm thinking of simply turning off MCE and manually setting the sync all cores to 47 and leave the rest as is. I think I read somewhere that it may work on stock voltages. From there I could bump up Vcore and see what happens. Perhaps I have some more studying to do ....

Menthol
Level 14
AS is good, there are some better that aren't conductive is all.

I personally use Noctua NT-H1 paste for everything i do