cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microcode

no1yak
Level 8
The latest bios version for the Hero XI is 0903 and has an update for the microcode to 9Ah. My CPU is an i7 8700K and Intel's latest code is 96 for that CPU.
Question:- Does it make any difference to the operation of the(8700K) CPU with a code of 9Ah as opposed to what Intel has said (96).

If there is a problem with that code then the only Bios that has 96 is 0602. Can someone shed some light no the subject, thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8

btrach144
Level 7
I updated to 0903 but my CPU signature is 0x906EC and my microcode revision is A0. I have a 9900K. Nothing changed? Not sure if the update was for other processors?

btrach144 wrote:
I updated to 0903 but my CPU signature is 0x906EC and my microcode revision is A0. I have a 9900K. Nothing changed? Not sure if the update was for other processors?

Thanks for the reply but, that was not an answer to my question. It appears that no one seems to know the answer.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The microcode appropriate to your CPU will load on your CPU...I imagine the BIOS microcode is cumulative for all CPUs supported on a certain socket

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
The microcode appropriate to your CPU will load on your CPU...I imagine the BIOS microcode is cumulative for all CPUs supported on a certain socket

The microcode in 0903 is 9Ah which is not what Intel state for the 8700K in their latest updates.So, either Asus has just updated for the 9 series CPU's and not the 8 series. Therefore , how can that microcode (9Ah) be appropriate for the 8700K.

I'm curious if there's a manual way to push microcode updates, 0903 bios was unstable with my 9900k @ 5.1 vs 0602 bios.

no1yak wrote:
The microcode in 0903 is 9Ah which is not what Intel state for the 8700K in their latest updates.So, either Asus has just updated for the 9 series CPU's and not the 8 series. Therefore , how can that microcode (9Ah) be appropriate for the 8700K.

you have dual bios right? Give it a try on your backup bios.*

So the way it works is that microcode can be loaded to the motherboard (i believe) with a bios flash OR into a dll stored within windows. at bootup, windows will check to see if it has a more current version of the microcode in the dll file it keeps. If not, it loads whats in the bios, if so, windows will load was is in that DLL. The latest microcode should be 0x96 for the 8700k. Since the latest bios revision *may not* have microcode that is that current, you can easily apply windows update kbb4465065 and it will give you the current code. I just applied yesterday. Simple quick easy update. I believe they continually update the microcode under that same update number.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4465065/kb4465065-intel-microcode-updates

no1yak wrote:

It will only apply it if its needed and appropriate for that CPUID

Guitarmageddon888 wrote:
So the way it works is that microcode can be loaded to the motherboard (i believe) with a bios flash OR into a dll stored within windows. at bootup, windows will check to see if it has a more current version of the microcode in the dll file it keeps. If not, it loads whats in the bios, if so, windows will load was is in that DLL. The latest microcode should be 0x96 for the 8700k. Since the latest bios revision *may not* have microcode that is that current, you can easily apply windows update kbb4465065 and it will give you the current code. I just applied yesterday. Simple quick easy update. I believe they continually update the microcode under that same update number.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4465065/kb4465065-intel-microcode-updates

It will only apply it if its needed and appropriate for that CPUID

Thanks for the reply, KB4465065 is installed and the code is still showing 9A. So that KB has no effect on the 8700K. There doesn't appear to be any issues with that Bios so I'll continue to use it and if something goes south then I can always revert back to 0602.

Thanks once again for all your reply s.