cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF10 and Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 stuck at 1.2v...SOLVED

Trigger5521
Level 7
SOLVED...Motherboard scratched near standoff.

Hi guys, having a strange issue with my Maximus Formula X and some new ram I installed. When I enable the XMP profile for this Corsair Vengenance Pro RGB 3200 mem everything applies as expected in the BIOS including DRAM voltage to 1.35v however when I'm booted into windows10 all monitoring software such as Adia64 and HWiNFO64 indicate the DRAM voltage is 1.2. I'm having crashes with my formally stable 5.0ghz OC and I've pretty much convinced it's memory. It doesn't matter if I set the voltage manually or let XMP do it, never changes from 1.2v which of course isn't enough for the 3200mhz OC

Background...prior to getting this new RAM I was 100% stable with G-Skill TridentZ 3400 (F4-3400C16D-16GTZ) and BIOS 1101. I moved my system to a new case only adding new RAM and the updating the BIOS to 1602. I tried putting the TridentZ mem back in and it also will not go past 1.2V. This all seems to point to the new 1602 BIOS. Before I revert back I'd like to see what you guys think or if anyone else has experienced this issue.

Specs:
Intel 8700K
BIOS 1602
Corsair Vengenance Pro RGB (CMW16GX4M2C3200C16W) 2X 8GB
Win10 64bit

Thanks!
23 REPLIES 23

NemesisChild
Level 12
1602 shouldn't be causing this issue, I suspect it's the board itself.

Just to rule out 1602 as the culprit, I would revert to the previous bios. If it still persists, then RMA the board.

I recall another forum member having this same issue, the RMA replacement worked fine.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild wrote:
1602 shouldn't be causing this issue, I suspect it's the board itself.

Just to rule out 1602 as the culprit, I would revert to the previous bios. If it still persists, then RMA the board.

I recall another forum member having this same issue, the RMA replacement worked fine.

Good GOD I sure hope it's not an RMA situation, my rig is fully water cooled, I spent a retarded amount of time on the hard loop. Seeing as how it provided proper volts to the g-skill prior to updating the bios I'm still hopeful it's just a bad bios or bad flash. Just want to make sure there isn't some bios setting that I'm missing that causes it to stay at 1.2v even if you override it.

chevell65
Level 12
Maybe try using clear cmos and/or remove the cmos battery for five minutes. Lots of boards seem to require clear cmos or hard reset after updating to 1602.

Trigger5521
Level 7
Thanks chevell...I tried clear CMOS, no change. I will pull the battery if I can access it. I have already reverted back to BIOS 1101 still only getting 1.2v

Also totally forgot that it's wasn't just new RAM in the case swap, I changed my power supply and used cablemod custom sleeved cables. Just in the process of eliminating the cables and power supply as a possible culprit.

I hope to GOD it's not my board, i'm going to cry if I have to dismantle the whole thing.

Trigger5521
Level 7
Ruled out:
Power supply
Cables
Memory Modules
BIOS version
Clear CMOS

No matter what I change the DRAM voltage to above or below 1.2 I only get 1.2 SO FRUSTRATING!!!!!! Damn you ASUS.

I can't pull the battery without draining the loop. Is there any point in try the "mem ok" button? I have to remove fans from my bottom rad to access so I don;t want to try it if it's not going to help.

Looking for any last tricks or suggestions before I lose my mind and RMA the F$%k board.

I would try to manually set your ram without the xmp loaded and go from there first .The corsair timing seems to be quite high for the frequency you get,at least if i compare to gskill.

DId you change your ram just for the rgb? I tend to avoid them,seems they have more issue then non rgb one.If its for the look and still own your gskill ram , i would suggest you put some uv paint on the heat sink would definitely stand out on a low cost.

edrickjk wrote:
I would try to manually set your ram without the xmp loaded and go from there first .The corsair timing seems to be quite high for the frequency you get,at least if i compare to gskill.

DId you change your ram just for the rgb? I tend to avoid them,seems they have more issue then non rgb one.If its for the look and still own your gskill ram , i would suggest you put some uv paint on the heat sink would definitely stand out on a low cost.

I have tried manual does not change. I changed RAM because my g-skill was RED and my build theme what white and black so I bought the white corsair. It's not the mem modules as I can't even get the g-skill's that were working fine to go past 1.2v either.

It's just tough to swallow that moving a perfectly working system from one case to another and simply updating BIOS and RAM now suddenly I have a BAD board. If the board was bad wouldn't it have been bad from day 1.

I have to exhaust every conceivable option before I pull it out for RMA. Keep the ideas coming if you have any.

Dezzmos
Level 8
My board did the same right out of the box. The only fix was getting new one.

Dezzmos wrote:
My board did the same right out of the box. The only fix was getting new one.

Right out of the box I get that...mine worked great for months now NFG is what bothers me. I keep circling back to the BIOS update. Rolling back to 1101 did not fix it but I think I read somewhere the 1602 update also made changes that can not be rolled back after being updated.