cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Z390 Hero-9900K - System shutdown randomly and doesnt turns on for 5-10 mins

Colorist
Level 7
Hi guys,

I'm using Maximus Z390 Hero with latest BIOS firmware and 9900K. Everything is stock setting (NO OC).

After 20-25 minutes of playing games that require high requirements (like BF5), the power turns off, and after 5-10 minutes it turns on again automatically. During this time, although I pressed the power button it does not turn on. When the computer is turned on, it reacts as if it were opened for the first time, and the BIOS opens in the factory settings. I checked all temperatures of components and all is good.

I think it may be a faulty motherboard that I'll have to return. But wondering if there may be something obvious that I've missed.
Thank you

CPU: i9 9900k
GPU: Asus ROG Strix OC 2080Ti
MB: Asus Hero z390
RAM: Gskill 2x8 4400 MHz
Cooler: EVGA CLC280
PSU: EVGA G3 1000W
2,382 Views
8 REPLIES 8

ninezerofive
Level 10
I don't think Hero can run "Gskill 2x8 4400 MHz". Gene can hardly run it. Set the DRAM manually to 4000 and see if that helps. If it does, then you can try to increase it until the point where HERO gives up.

ninezerofive wrote:
I don't think Hero can run "Gskill 2x8 4400 MHz". Gene can hardly run it. Set the DRAM manually to 4000 and see if that helps. If it does, then you can try to increase it until the point where HERO gives up.


i dont think the problem is about rams. Because my all settings are default as well as ram

There generally used to be a problem with first batch of RTX cards, where some of them artifacted and some of them straight up crashed during any kind of load. So it might be GPU as well. For starters I would advise to run GPU Tweak II and set on screen display for CPU and GPU and then go ahead and play the BF5, see what kind of temperatures are they reaching. And does it only happen when it reaches that specific temperature.

If it crashes at like GPU 78C, then in GPU tweak set the max temp to 75C and play for couple hours. If it's stable, then it's GPU.

ninezerofive wrote:
There generally used to be a problem with first batch of RTX cards, where some of them artifacted and some of them straight up crashed during any kind of load. So it might be GPU as well. For starters I would advise to run GPU Tweak II and set on screen display for CPU and GPU and then go ahead and play the BF5, see what kind of temperatures are they reaching. And does it only happen when it reaches that specific temperature.

If it crashes at like GPU 78C, then in GPU tweak set the max temp to 75C and play for couple hours. If it's stable, then it's GPU.


That could be true. I've had the same problem in heaven benchmark stress test. And temperature was like 78C as you said. I'll answer back after try this.

Colorist wrote:
That could be true. I've had the same problem in heaven benchmark stress test. And temperature was like 78C as you said. I'll answer back after try this.


Remove the VGA try onboard video and run prime95, easiest way to discard GPU

ASchiavi wrote:
Remove the VGA try onboard video and run prime95, easiest way to discard GPU


Power turns off at GPU temp 72C. If i set fans to 100%, and avoid GPU to pass 72C, power does no turn off. Is my GPU broken?

ninezerofive wrote:
There generally used to be a problem with first batch of RTX cards, where some of them artifacted and some of them straight up crashed during any kind of load. So it might be GPU as well. For starters I would advise to run GPU Tweak II and set on screen display for CPU and GPU and then go ahead and play the BF5, see what kind of temperatures are they reaching. And does it only happen when it reaches that specific temperature.

If it crashes at like GPU 78C, then in GPU tweak set the max temp to 75C and play for couple hours. If it's stable, then it's GPU.


Your detection's right. Power turns off at GPU temp 72C. I've tested on many games, and superposition stress test, result is same. 72C shutdown the system. The problem is GPU.

Is there a solution about that? Or RMA?

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
If it’s happening at stock I would look to the PSU first. Sounds like OCP/anti surge behaviour.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090