cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus xii extreme- pcie 4.0 ssd question.

menko2
Level 7
Hi.

I'm trying to get confirmation about Rocket Lake and this board.

Asus confirmed it will be compatible with 11th generation CPU in this webpage: https://www.asus.com/microsite/motherboard/Intel-Z490/

The question is that 11th CPUs will have 20 pcie 4.0 lines and it's confirmed that the 16 for the gpu will be pcie but they didn't say anything about the other 4 PCIe 4.0 lines from the ssd m.2. that go straight to the CPU.

Anyone can confirm this for the Maximus xii Extreme?
2 REPLIES 2

hsm06
Level 10
I know that Z490 runs PCIE 4.0 with 11th CPU ONLY "PCIEx16_1 / _2" (x16_1+x16_2 is still limited to 16 lanes overall)

The remaining native pcie_x4_4.0 ssd must be designed from the cpu pcie controller layout,
Only the 500 series chipset can have it.
The z490 m.2 pcb layout design is all towards PCH, not towards CPU PCIE controller.
This is a difference on the physical circuit and cannot be modified from the firmware.

hsm06 wrote:
I know that Z490 runs PCIE 4.0 with 11th CPU ONLY "PCIEx16_1 / _2" (x16_1+x16_2 is still limited to 16 lanes overall)

The remaining native pcie_x4_4.0 ssd must be designed from the cpu pcie controller layout,
Only the 500 series chipset can have it.
The z490 m.2 pcb layout design is all towards PCH, not towards CPU PCIE controller.
This is a difference on the physical circuit and cannot be modified from the firmware.

This is the answer I was looking for.

I had my doubts because the extreme board has dimm.2 with pcie 4 connected straight to the CPU. But I'm not sure if it will take lanes from the 16 of the gpu.

Msi and gigabyte offers full compability for all 20 lines. Gpu and ssd.