cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XI or CPU dead?

Trogdor469
Level 7
I have had this build running I think since May this year. I have not had any windows errors or issues prior to the issue below.

Windows 10
Monitor ASUS PG279Q
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI hero
CPU: Intel i9 9900k
Memory: Corsair cmw32gx4m2c3200c16 - 2x16gb (32gb) - ddr4 3200 - C16
Video card:EVGA 1080 SC
PSU: Corsair hx1200i
all hard drives removed when dealing with tech support.

I was playing a game before my windows said it had a error and needed to restart. I am unable to get into the bios screen. The pc will start to boot up, but will not turn the power on to the keyboard or send a signal to my monitor on display port. I am getting different Q-Code's every time I restart. The most common codes I am getting are 6A, 71, 09, 18. I have rarely gotten other codes( 31 - memory seating fine, 23????, 00, 15, but I am wondering if the board is bad and is just randomly stopping while cycling though its codes. After a code is thrown, there are no lights under the q-code box to determine if its cpu, vga, memory, or post. I am not sure if this is a bad cpu, motherboard or if there is a way to put in a new bios if for whatever reason it is corrupted. I am unable to get to the screen where it will post the asus logo and press del to enter bios.

Things I have tested:
Switching out the PSU - no change
Running a single memory stick in the a2 slot. Both Dimms tested. - no change
Removing the video card and using trying the hdmi and display port on the back of the board - failed. (video card and monitor tests fine on other pc)
Reset the cmos on back of mobo.
Checking for blown capacitors on the motherboard

The only thing I have not tried yet that I am considering is reseating the CPU to see if it makes a difference. I am waiting on new thermal paste to do so.

Any other suggestions?
10 REPLIES 10

Falkentyne
Level 12
Trogdor469 wrote:
I have had this build running I think since May this year. I have not had any windows errors or issues prior to the issue below.

Windows 10
Monitor ASUS PG279Q
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI hero
CPU: Intel i9 9900k
Memory: Corsair cmw32gx4m2c3200c16 - 2x16gb (32gb) - ddr4 3200 - C16
Video card:EVGA 1080 SC
PSU: Corsair hx1200i
all hard drives removed when dealing with tech support.

I was playing a game before my windows said it had a error and needed to restart. I am unable to get into the bios screen. The pc will start to boot up, but will not turn the power on to the keyboard or send a signal to my monitor on display port. I am getting different Q-Code's every time I restart. The most common codes I am getting are 6A, 71, 09, 18. I have rarely gotten other codes( 31 - memory seating fine, 23????, 00, 15, but I am wondering if the board is bad and is just randomly stopping while cycling though its codes. After a code is thrown, there are no lights under the q-code box to determine if its cpu, vga, memory, or post. I am not sure if this is a bad cpu, motherboard or if there is a way to put in a new bios if for whatever reason it is corrupted. I am unable to get to the screen where it will post the asus logo and press del to enter bios.

Things I have tested:
Switching out the PSU - no change
Running a single memory stick in the a2 slot. Both Dimms tested. - no change
Removing the video card and using trying the hdmi and display port on the back of the board - failed. (video card and monitor tests fine on other pc)
Reset the cmos on back of mobo.
Checking for blown capacitors on the motherboard

The only thing I have not tried yet that I am considering is reseating the CPU to see if it makes a difference. I am waiting on new thermal paste to do so.

Any other suggestions?

You are not the first to have had CPU's just suddenly die like that. In most cases where this happened, it was always the CPU that died, as a replacement worked fine, but no one determined why it died. Whether the motherboard killed it or the CPU decided to commit sudoku.

The only way to troubleshoot this is to unfortunately try a new CPU. I'm sorry.
Contact Intel for a RMA? Just do NOT tell them that you used XMP. Period.

Have you tried shift bios. You have dual bios?
Bios may have become corrupt or viruses. Not common but can happen.

hortons71 wrote:
Have you tried shift bios. You have dual bios?
Bios may have become corrupt or viruses. Not common but can happen.

I tried format the usb stick i got to fat32. I changed the bios file to M11HW.cap. The light will blink for a bit (like a minute) and turn solid blue. I do not think it is taking it.

You have only clear the bios on the reset button at the back of the mainboard earlier? You have a switch button too.

The secondary bios have you never used, i guess. It is default version.

hortons71 wrote:
You have only clear the bios on the reset button at the back of the mainboard earlier? You have a switch button too.

The secondary bios have you never used, i guess. It is default version.
I am not seeing anything about a secondary bios either on the board or the manual. I only have a clear cmos and the bios button. Where would this switch be that you are referring to?

Right now the mobo is pretty much sticking at q-code 09. Would removing the panel in the lower right corner void the warranty? I would like to see the PCH area.

Okay that's the Flashback button. Have you tested different usb memories, preferably usb 2.0

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1038568/

If it is not possible to flashback to an earlier bios version, then it is probably better to send back the motherboard.
There are many negative reviews on XI Hero, so I guess that's a common problem.

In one of the computer stores I buy from, you can buy motherboards repaired by the manufacturer for a lower price, and there are many Maximus XI Hero.

hortons71 wrote:
If it is not possible to flashback to an earlier bios version, then it is probably better to send back the motherboard.

In one of the computer stores I buy from, you can buy motherboards repaired by the manufacturer for a lower price, and there are many Maximus XI Hero.

I bought another usb stick and had the same issue. It is time to use the warranty. Thanks for the help.

hortons71 wrote:

Problem not common at all. The Hero line is the most popular, best selling mobo in the ROG series. So you will see more of these mobos either installed or on return shelves. That's just the math.

I've built about 14 PCs based on the Hero XI and haven't had a single customer RMA. 14 is not a big sample, but it's definitely been a good running board for my business. I've pair most of those with 9900Ks and a few 9700Ks. No problems from customers noted that haven't been driver/software user related issues.

To the OP:

Sounds like you have a hardware failure. Might indeed by the motherboard. But it might be CPU or RAM related as well. Unfortunately all you can do is swap parts and find out. I'd start with the CPU first given the sudden death of the system. Boards tend to lose stability over time when failing. Same for RAM.

A last ditch effort is to remove the mobo from the case and see if you can boot.