cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XI Hero and PWM fan controllers?

Lord_Odin
Level 7
My Evolv X fan controller doesn't provide PWM control to the fans on my rads. One fan is hooked up to the white header on the fan controller to provide signal back to the motherboard. I've tried fans directly to the headers and they work just fine. I assumed the controller was bad and had it replaced but it still behaves the same. I've also tried all the other fan headers on the motherboard. The fans are only controlled in DC mode.

Phanteks is trying to say the motherboard doesn't have true PWM headers. Can this be verified?
3 REPLIES 3

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Lord Odin wrote:
My Evolv X fan controller doesn't provide PWM control to the fans on my rads. One fan is hooked up to the white header on the fan controller to provide signal back to the motherboard. I've tried fans directly to the headers and they work just fine. I assumed the controller was bad and had it replaced but it still behaves the same. I've also tried all the other fan headers on the motherboard. The fans are only controlled in DC mode.

Phanteks is trying to say the motherboard doesn't have true PWM headers. Can this be verified?

Sounds more like the tach signal isn't being reported correctly back to the motherboard. Have you tried simply using a PWM splitter? The fact the fans can be controlled independently when connected directly to the header tells you the board isn't the problem.

I have a 6 port PWM Phantek hub connected to the chassis header on my Formula XI which works without issue.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

mdzcpa
Level 12
Is the fan connected to the white header a 3 or 4 pin fan?

Also, make sure to connect fan pin fans to the 4 pin headers and 3 pin fans to the 3 pin headers. Reddit users have been discussing the need to do this for that hub.

I have splitters running off the fan controller so they would all get the same RPM. I'll have to try that directly off the motherboard though.

All fans are Vardar RGB 4-pin fans.